From: ··············@gmail.com
Subject: about programming troubles
hi everybody
i am actually at the end of "Gentle introduction of symbolc
computation" book.
Up to cap 10 i found the exercises at my newbie level...now, stydying
stuff like DO* macros or assigment i'm realizing i need more tools: i
understand the subjects but i have problems doing exercises...maybe i
need to know general programming way of thinking...is there some books
about that (from a common lisp point of view)???

thanks

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: about programming troubles
··············@gmail.com writes:

> hi everybody
> i am actually at the end of "Gentle introduction of symbolc
> computation" book.
> Up to cap 10 i found the exercises at my newbie level...now, stydying
> stuff like DO* macros or assigment i'm realizing i need more tools: i
> understand the subjects but i have problems doing exercises...maybe i
> need to know general programming way of thinking...is there some books
> about that (from a common lisp point of view)???

Well, "Gentle introduction of symbolc computation"  is it.

Perhaps you could have a look at  "How to Design Programs":

HTDP   = How to Design Programs -- An Introduction to Computing and Programming
         http://www.htdp.org/

but it seems to me the information you need is spread over several
chapters, so you will have to read it almost entirely too.  It uses
scheme for its examples and exercises, but this shouldn't be a
problem, now that you know some Common Lisp; you can still do the
exercises in Common Lisp.

Otherwise studying data structures and algorithms, and Hoare logic
should help.

In the meantime,  just ask your questions here...
--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: ··············@gmail.com
> Well, "Gentle introduction of symbolc computation"  is it.
>
> Perhaps you could have a look at  "How to Design Programs":
>
> HTDP   = How to Design Programs -- An Introduction to Computing and Programming
>          http://www.htdp.org/
>
> but it seems to me the information you need is spread over several
> chapters, so you will have to read it almost entirely too.  It uses
> scheme for its examples and exercises, but this shouldn't be a
> problem, now that you know some Common Lisp; you can still do the
> exercises in Common Lisp.
>
> Otherwise studying data structures and algorithms, and Hoare logic
> should help.
>
> In the meantime,  just ask your questions here...
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

yes, i know the htdp book. it seems good, the only problem is it gives
no answers to exercises (in scheme as in lisp)...at first i started
studying it, leaving it for this reason (and because of my interest of
using common lisp and not scheme...).

o you know where i can find the solutions?
From: Adlai
On May 23, 4:12 pm, ··············@gmail.com wrote:
> > Well, "Gentle introduction of symbolc computation"  is it.
>
> > Perhaps you could have a look at  "How to Design Programs":
>
> > HTDP   = How to Design Programs -- An Introduction to Computing and Programming
> >          http://www.htdp.org/
>
> > but it seems to me the information you need is spread over several
> > chapters, so you will have to read it almost entirely too.  It uses
> > scheme for its examples and exercises, but this shouldn't be a
> > problem, now that you know some Common Lisp; you can still do the
> > exercises in Common Lisp.
>
> > Otherwise studying data structures and algorithms, and Hoare logic
> > should help.
>
> > In the meantime,  just ask your questions here...
> > --
> > __Pascal Bourguignon__
>
> yes, i know the htdp book. it seems good, the only problem is it gives
> no answers to exercises (in scheme as in lisp)...at first i started
> studying it, leaving it for this reason (and because of my interest of
> using common lisp and not scheme...).
>
> o you know where i can find the solutions

If you're asking about "Gentle Intro", try Appendix C, at the end of
the book.

As for HtDP, the solutions on the page are password-protected (as you
can probably tell). However, I'm sure that people here (me included)
are willing to help you if you're stuck or want reference for any
questions. The community here has extremely helpful to my newbie
questions in the past.

 -  Adlai