From: Jeff M.
Subject: OT: what newsreaders ya'll use to filter all the spam that hits 	c.l.l?
I've been stuck in the dark ages using Google groups, but after this
last barrage of spam to c.l.l, I'm finding myself willing to finally
pay for something that can get rid of all the Nike knockoff spam, etc.

Jeff M.

From: Paul Donnelly
"Jeff M." <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been stuck in the dark ages using Google groups, but after this
> last barrage of spam to c.l.l, I'm finding myself willing to finally
> pay for something that can get rid of all the Nike knockoff spam, etc.

I'm just using my ISP's server, but I can recommend Gnus as a reader.
From: Thomas M. Hermann
On May 20, 4:31 pm, Paul Donnelly <·············@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "Jeff M." <·······@gmail.com> writes:
> > I've been stuck in the dark ages using Google groups, but after this
> > last barrage of spam to c.l.l, I'm finding myself willing to finally
> > pay for something that can get rid of all the Nike knockoff spam, etc.
>
> I'm just using my ISP's server, but I can recommend Gnus as a reader.

Ugh, I've attempted to use my ISP's server, but it is terribly
unreliable and has no spam filtering. I mainly lurk, so it's usually
not a problem to just use Google. But, I think I'll take a look at the
one recommended by Tamas.
From: Tamas K Papp
On Wed, 20 May 2009 10:17:44 -0700, Jeff M. wrote:

> I've been stuck in the dark ages using Google groups, but after this
> last barrage of spam to c.l.l, I'm finding myself willing to finally pay
> for something that can get rid of all the Nike knockoff spam, etc.

I use news.individual.net, 10 euro/year, nice and reliable service.
Regarding newsreaders (ie the actual applications): most of them do
filtering/scoring nowadays, so pick the one you like most.

Tamas
From: alien_guy
On Wed, 20 May 2009 10:17:44 -0700, Jeff M. wrote:
> I've been stuck in the dark ages using Google groups, but after this
> last barrage of spam to c.l.l, I'm finding myself willing to finally pay
> for something that can get rid of all the Nike knockoff spam, etc.

NNTP reader + news.aioe.org, gratis
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·······················@l.org>, alien_guy <·@l.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 2009 10:17:44 -0700, Jeff M. wrote:
> > I've been stuck in the dark ages using Google groups, but after this
> > last barrage of spam to c.l.l, I'm finding myself willing to finally pay
> > for something that can get rid of all the Nike knockoff spam, etc.
>
> NNTP reader + news.aioe.org, gratis

Or + news.motzarella.org, also gratis.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu