From: ·······@wiwi.uni-marburg.de
Subject: Any suggestions for a Lisp on a µCLinux?
Hello,

I am planning to do some software development on a 68000 based micro-
controller that runs a µCLinux. The UI should use the boa web server
which is avaible for that platform.

I was wondering if it is maybe possible to use a Common Lisp
implementation for that purpose and if someone already did this and
what the experience are. I would like to use Common Lisp but Scheme
would be fine as a second best solution.

Kind regards, Daniel

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Any suggestions for a Lisp on a µCLinux?
·······@wiwi.uni-marburg.de writes:
> I am planning to do some software development on a 68000 based micro-
> controller that runs a �CLinux. The UI should use the boa web server
> which is avaible for that platform.
>
> I was wondering if it is maybe possible to use a Common Lisp
> implementation for that purpose and if someone already did this and
> what the experience are. I would like to use Common Lisp but Scheme
> would be fine as a second best solution.

Depending on the memory constraints, I would choose either clisp or
ecl (it seems ecl is smaller).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Robert Swindells
Subject: Re: Any suggestions for a Lisp on a �CLinux?
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>·······@wiwi.uni-marburg.de writes:
>> I am planning to do some software development on a 68000 based micro-
>> controller that runs a �CLinux. The UI should use the boa web server
>> which is avaible for that platform.
>>
>> I was wondering if it is maybe possible to use a Common Lisp
>> implementation for that purpose and if someone already did this and
>> what the experience are. I would like to use Common Lisp but Scheme
>> would be fine as a second best solution.

>Depending on the memory constraints, I would choose either clisp or
>ecl (it seems ecl is smaller).

A bigger problem than the amount of available memory is the fact that
uCLinux runs everything in the same address space, any Lisp that tries
to reserve ranges of addresses for specific purposes will be difficult
to port.

Robert Swindells
From: Juanjo
On May 18, 1:20 pm, Robert Swindells <····@fdy2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >Depending on the memory constraints, I would choose either clisp or
> >ecl(it seemseclis smaller).
>
> A bigger problem than the amount of available memory is the fact that
> uCLinux runs everything in the same address space, any Lisp that tries
> to reserve ranges of addresses for specific purposes will be difficult
> to port.

This is not the case of ECL. One would only have to check how well the
Boehm-Weiser garbage collector runs there.

Juanjo
From: ··············@excite.com
On May 18, 1:53 am, ·······@wiwi.uni-marburg.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am planning to do some software development on a 68000 based micro-
> controller that runs a µCLinux. The UI should use the boa web server
> which is avaible for that platform.
>
> I was wondering if it is maybe possible to use a Common Lisp
> implementation for that purpose and if someone already did this and
> what the experience are. I would like to use Common Lisp but Scheme
> would be fine as a second best solution.
>
> Kind regards, Daniel

Does your uController Linux have an Emacs port?

Emacs already implements elisp, which you might be able to use for
your app, and recent Emacs versions have a fake Common Lisp syntax
package ("cl.el").  Could programmer interface be via serial port or
Telnet supporting Emacs display?  (Turn it off for deployment...)  And
the run-time app GUI be web server hooked up to elisp?

But for memory footprint, Emacs might be bigger than you want -
although a uController port might be trimmed back...

Anybody have thoughts about Guile for this application?  Size and
portability w/respect to ECL?
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
··············@excite.com writes:

> On May 18, 1:53�am, ·······@wiwi.uni-marburg.de wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am planning to do some software development on a 68000 based micro-
>> controller that runs a �CLinux. The UI should use the boa web server
>> which is avaible for that platform.
>>
>> I was wondering if it is maybe possible to use a Common Lisp
>> implementation for that purpose and if someone already did this and
>> what the experience are. I would like to use Common Lisp but Scheme
>> would be fine as a second best solution.
>>
>> Kind regards, Daniel
>

> Does your uController Linux have an Emacs port?
>
> Emacs already implements elisp, which you might be able to use for
> your app, and recent Emacs versions have a fake Common Lisp syntax
> package ("cl.el").

There is even an implementation of Common Lisp written in emacs lisp:
http://www.cliki.net/emacs-cl

> Could programmer interface be via serial port or
> Telnet supporting Emacs display?  (Turn it off for deployment...)  And
> the run-time app GUI be web server hooked up to elisp?
>
> But for memory footprint, Emacs might be bigger than you want -
> although a uController port might be trimmed back...
>
> Anybody have thoughts about Guile for this application?  Size and
> portability w/respect to ECL?

I've been told there are better scheme implementations than guile.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: gugamilare
On 18 maio, 16:49, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> I've been told there are better scheme implementations than guile.

Considering that guile is an interpreter which is made to be easily
embedded into other applications, than there should be better scheme
implementations both in performance and in usability, unless, perhaps,
Daniel intends to plug it into other applications.
From: Zach Beane
···@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> ··············@excite.com writes:
>> Anybody have thoughts about Guile for this application?  Size and
>> portability w/respect to ECL?
>
> I've been told there are better scheme implementations than guile.

I've had a negative impression of Guile for a long time, but Andy
Wingo's informal discussion of his recent Guile improvements at ILC2009
convinced me to revisit it, if ever I need to try out Scheme systems in
the future.

Zach
From: ·······@wiwi.uni-marburg.de
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I think I'll give ECL a
try... :-)

Kind regards, Daniel.
From: ddd
On Sun, 17 May 2009 22:53:34 -0700 (PDT), ·······@wiwi.uni-marburg.de
<·······@wiwi.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am planning to do some software development on a 68000 based micro-
> controller that runs a �CLinux. The UI should use the boa web server
> which is avaible for that platform.
>
> I was wondering if it is maybe possible to use a Common Lisp
> implementation for that purpose and if someone already did this and
> what the experience are. I would like to use Common Lisp but Scheme
> would be fine as a second best solution.
>
> Kind regards, Daniel

Maybe quite easy to use is xlisp-plus. It is not CL, but "quite" CL (in any
case compared to scheme) and runs on small machines.  xlisp-plus is able to
run "simple" CL code (no CLOS, Gray streams etc.).
SIOD may be another good guess and maybe SCM.