From: david
Subject: help with ltk and other questions
hello peoples,
i have installed ltk in /home/david/ltk
i got everything to work and ran the test program.
so is working.
where could i move ltk so that i can
(use-package :ltk)

is there some default place i can put lisp
libraries? some better way to organize my
lisp stuff? should i do a defpackage for all
my programs? should i learn to use the asdf?
should i run all my programs in a different package?

what should i do?

?

thanks, david

From: Phil Armitage
Subject: Re: help with ltk and other questions
On 5 May, 03:50, david <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> where could i move ltk so that i can
> (use-package :ltk)
> is there some default place i can put lisp
> libraries? some better way to organize my
> lisp stuff? should i do a defpackage for all
> my programs? should i learn to use the asdf?
> should i run all my programs in a different package?
>
> what should i do?

Although I've never used it this way, I *think* that LTk can just be
loaded:

(load "/home/david/ltk/ltk")

That would be your easiest way to get going quickly but probably not
the most sustainable for when you want to use other libraries as many
will need to be loaded with something like ASDF (LTk can also be
loaded with ASDF). So getting ASDF set up may be a good option. On a
Unix like system, as you seem to be using, this isn't too tricky but
you could also consider the "Alternative Sysdef Search functionality"
described towards the end of this page: http://www.cliki.net/asdf
which is even easier.

For the easiest possible route, consider using Mudballs (http://
mudballs.com/) which handles downloading, installing and loading as
well as tricky things like dependencies and versioning. It's very easy
to use:

(mb:install :ltk)  ; download LTK
(mb:load :ltk)     ; load LTK

The current version of LTk is available via Mudballs.
From: david
On May 5, 3:42 am, Phil Armitage <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 May, 03:50, david <······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > where could i move ltk so that i can
> > (use-package :ltk)
> > is there some default place i can put lisp
> > libraries? some better way to organize my
> > lisp stuff? should i do a defpackage for all
> > my programs? should i learn to use the asdf?
> > should i run all my programs in a different package?
>
> > what should i do?
>
> Although I've never used it this way, I *think* that LTk can just be
> loaded:
>
> (load "/home/david/ltk/ltk")
>
> That would be your easiest way to get going quickly but probably not
> the most sustainable for when you want to use other libraries as many
> will need to be loaded with something like ASDF (LTk can also be
> loaded with ASDF). So getting ASDF set up may be a good option. On a
> Unix like system, as you seem to be using, this isn't too tricky but
> you could also consider the "Alternative Sysdef Search functionality"
> described towards the end of this page:http://www.cliki.net/asdf
> which is even easier.
>
> For the easiest possible route, consider using Mudballs (http://
> mudballs.com/) which handles downloading, installing and loading as
> well as tricky things like dependencies and versioning. It's very easy
> to use:
>
> (mb:install :ltk)  ; download LTK
> (mb:load :ltk)     ; load LTK
>
> The current version of LTk is available via Mudballs.

thanks. i will check out the mudballs.