From: namekuseijin
Subject: Re: Haskell bashing (was Re: F# vs OCaml vs Python vs Haskell: hash 	table performance)
On May 1, 8:06 am, Adrian Hey <····@NoSpicedHam.iee.org> wrote:
> I see this thread has made it to reddit thanks to JH and also to
> someones blog:
>
> http://fpmatters.blogspot.com/

Well, it has some amusing polls.  For instance, Favorite Programming
Language goes to Haskell, Static Typing seems to be "the only way to
fly"... but Best Syntax is "S-Expressions"?!  If there are so many
Lisp fans there, why are the other categories not reflecting it? :P

From: Marco Antoniotti
On May 3, 9:06 am, namekuseijin <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 1, 8:06 am, Adrian Hey <····@NoSpicedHam.iee.org> wrote:
>
> > I see this thread has made it to reddit thanks to JH and also to
> > someones blog:
>
> >http://fpmatters.blogspot.com/
>
> Well, it has some amusing polls.  For instance, Favorite Programming
> Language goes to Haskell, Static Typing seems to be "the only way to
> fly"... but Best Syntax is "S-Expressions"?!  If there are so many
> Lisp fans there, why are the other categories not reflecting it? :P

I have just read the above, but I am not surprised.  I find myself
fitting these comments (am I going mainstream?).  Haskell is good (I
find it less constraining than OCaml and ML things).  Static typing is
good (when it does not get in the way of programming).  S-expressions
are good, but they cannot beat a full blown XML-based programming
language. :)

Cheers
--
Marco
ELS 2009 www.european-lisp-symposium.org
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On May 3, 9:06 am, namekuseijin <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 1, 8:06 am, Adrian Hey <····@NoSpicedHam.iee.org> wrote:
>
> > I see this thread has made it to reddit thanks to JH and also to
> > someones blog:
>
> >http://fpmatters.blogspot.com/
>
> Well, it has some amusing polls.  For instance, Favorite Programming
> Language goes to Haskell, Static Typing seems to be "the only way to
> fly"... but Best Syntax is "S-Expressions"?!  If there are so many
> Lisp fans there, why are the other categories not reflecting it? :P
1. Favorite FPL:
Cl programmers  don't  call cl functional, but multi-paradigm
language. I've skipped voting.
2. Monads are
Good thing under certain very limited circumstances. There is no such
option so I've skipped voting.
3. Static typing is
Sometimes good, sometimes bad, depends of the problem you're solving,
Since there is no middle answer I've skipped voting
4. Best syntax is
S-expressions definitely. The only one I voted for.

cheers
Bobi
http://slobodanblazeski.blogspot.com/
From: namekuseijin
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> On May 3, 9:06 am, namekuseijin <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 1, 8:06 am, Adrian Hey <····@NoSpicedHam.iee.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I see this thread has made it to reddit thanks to JH and also to
>>> someones blog:
>>> http://fpmatters.blogspot.com/
>> Well, it has some amusing polls.  For instance, Favorite Programming
>> Language goes to Haskell, Static Typing seems to be "the only way to
>> fly"... but Best Syntax is "S-Expressions"?!  If there are so many
>> Lisp fans there, why are the other categories not reflecting it? :P
> 1. Favorite FPL:
> Cl programmers  don't  call cl functional, but multi-paradigm
> language. I've skipped voting.
> 2. Monads are
> Good thing under certain very limited circumstances. There is no such
> option so I've skipped voting.
> 3. Static typing is
> Sometimes good, sometimes bad, depends of the problem you're solving,
> Since there is no middle answer I've skipped voting
> 4. Best syntax is
> S-expressions definitely. The only one I voted for.

Now I understand why it's a bad idea to not vote in presidential
elections. ;)
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On May 3, 7:36 pm, namekuseijin <···················@gmail.com> wrote:
> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:

> >> Well, it has some amusing polls.  For instance, Favorite Programming
> >> Language goes to Haskell, Static Typing seems to be "the only way to
> >> fly"... but Best Syntax is "S-Expressions"?!  If there are so many
> >> Lisp fans there, why are the other categories not reflecting it? :P
> > 1. Favorite FPL:
> > Cl programmers  don't  call cl functional, but multi-paradigm
> > language. I've skipped voting.
> > 2. Monads are
> > Good thing under certain very limited circumstances. There is no such
> > option so I've skipped voting.
> > 3. Static typing is
> > Sometimes good, sometimes bad, depends of the problem you're solving,
> > Since there is no middle answer I've skipped voting
> > 4. Best syntax is
> > S-expressions definitely. The only one I voted for.
>
> Now I understand why it's a bad idea to not vote in presidential
> elections. ;)
How would you vote if you were cl programmer?

bobi
From: Marek Kubica
On Sun, 3 May 2009 05:19:45 -0700 (PDT)
Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Static typing is
> Sometimes good, sometimes bad, depends of the problem you're solving,
> Since there is no middle answer I've skipped voting

It also depends on the type system. There are constraining type systems
like Java and enabling type systems like the one in Haskell. I wasn't
sure what to vote there either.

regards,
Marek
From: Scott Burson
On May 3, 12:06 am, namekuseijin <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> Favorite Programming
> Language goes to Haskell, Static Typing seems to be "the only way to
> fly"... but Best Syntax is "S-Expressions"?!  If there are so many
> Lisp fans there, why are the other categories not reflecting it? :P

Maybe Liskell is getting popular???

-- Scott