From: Matthew D Swank
Subject: L T K, wtf
I cannot seem to post to the ltk-user email list via gmane, nor can I
complete a subscription request to post directly.  Is this happening to
anyone else? If so, is this a list admin issue or a common-lisp.net issue?

Also, as far as anyone can tell is LTK still under active development?

Questions I have.

Matt
--
Alimony and bribes will engage a large share of your wealth.

From: Kenneth Tilton
Subject: Re: L T K, wtf
Matthew D Swank wrote:
> I cannot seem to post to the ltk-user email list via gmane, nor can I
> complete a subscription request to post directly.  Is this happening to
> anyone else? If so, is this a list admin issue or a common-lisp.net issue?
>
> Also, as far as anyone can tell is LTK still under active development?

Lord, yes. Well, I saw traffic within the last month. Two weeks ago.

kt
From: D Herring
Matthew D Swank wrote:
> Also, as far as anyone can tell is LTK still under active development?

Absolutely.  The lead author just gave a tutorial at ILC09.  The Tk
library was extremely stable (unchanging) for several years, so he saw
no need to update the release version.  Apparently several changes are
in version control though, in preparation for a new release targeting
the latest Tk.

- Daniel
From: Pascal Costanza
D Herring wrote:
> Matthew D Swank wrote:
>> Also, as far as anyone can tell is LTK still under active development?
>
> Absolutely.  The lead author just gave a tutorial at ILC09.  The Tk
> library was extremely stable (unchanging) for several years, so he saw
> no need to update the release version.  Apparently several changes are
> in version control though, in preparation for a new release targeting
> the latest Tk.

Peter Herth actually told me that the company he is working for is
deploying a major application using LTk. So my guess is that this
project will remain actively maintained for the foreseeable future.

Pascal

--
ELS'09: http://www.european-lisp-symposium.org/
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Matthew D Swank
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 03:19:06 +0100, Pascal Costanza wrote:

> D Herring wrote:
>> Matthew D Swank wrote:
>>> Also, as far as anyone can tell is LTK still under active development?
>>
>> Absolutely.  The lead author just gave a tutorial at ILC09.  The Tk
>> library was extremely stable (unchanging) for several years, so he saw
>> no need to update the release version.  Apparently several changes are
>> in version control though, in preparation for a new release targeting
>> the latest Tk.
>
> Peter Herth actually told me that the company he is working for is
> deploying a major application using LTk. So my guess is that this
> project will remain actively maintained for the foreseeable future.
>

> Pascal

Alright, it's a going concern then.  The mailing list is a bit deaf
though.  Gmane via http://news.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.ltk.user shows some
light traffic as recently as the 15th, but the archive at http://common-
lisp.net/pipermail/ltk-user/ shows only three messages since the
beginning of the year: all before March.

All of my attempts to post or subscribe have gone down a black hole.

By the way,  ActiveState Tcl with tiled widgets is looking quite nice on
Windows these days, but tiled widgets aren't terribly well supported in
the current release of LTk.  I'm trying to find out if I would be
duplicating someone else's work if I started adding some of the widgets
myself.

Matt

--
Q:	Why do WASPs play golf ?
A:	So they can dress like pimps.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On 27 mar, 04:10, Matthew D Swank <··················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 03:19:06 +0100, Pascal Costanza wrote:
> > D Herring wrote:
>
> >> Absolutely.  The lead author just gave a tutorial at ILC09.  The Tk
> >> library was extremely stable (unchanging) for several years, so he saw
> >> no need to update the release version.  Apparently several changes are
> >> in version control though, in preparation for a new release targeting
> >> the latest Tk.
>
> > Peter Herth actually told me that the company he is working for is
> > deploying a major application using LTk. So my guess is that this
> > project will remain actively maintained for the foreseeable future.
>
> > Pascal
>
> Alright, it's a going concern then.  The mailing list is a bit deaf
> though.  Gmane viahttp://news.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.ltk.usershows some
> light traffic as recently as the 15th, but the archive athttp://common-
> lisp.net/pipermail/ltk-user/ shows only three messages since the
> beginning of the year: all before March.

Then it's cl.net that's broken. The list is active, if lightly used.
This is less surprising when you know that nearly all Ltk development
is done by Peter and myself, and we tend to have plenty of off-list
ways to discuss devel issues.

> All of my attempts to post or subscribe have gone down a black hole.
>
> By the way,  ActiveState Tcl with tiled widgets is looking quite nice on
> Windows these days, but tiled widgets aren't terribly well supported in
> the current release of LTk.  I'm trying to find out if I would be
> duplicating someone else's work if I started adding some of the widgets
> myself.

Yep, you would be. I thought the latest version from the website
should use Tile if you push :tk85 on *features*. If I'm wrong about
that, send me a mail and I'll slip you a pre-release copy of the
branch that's due to be promoted to the next release.