From: Benjamin L. Russell
Subject: Re: PAIP
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:25:24 -0700 (PDT), Francogrex <······@grex.org>
wrote:

>Is this one of the most difficult CL books to read or what? I have
>read without a lot of trouble other books including Seibel's
>"Practical Common Lisp" and Graham's "on lisp" and "ansi common lisp";
>but for Norvig's PAIP I have to read each page at least three times
>and still don't get most of what he's saying. It's a pity that it's so
>advanced/difficult because it's such a darn good book.

You may wish to take a look at the following related book report:

"Paradigms of Aritificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in
Common Lisp by Peter Norvig: A Book Report," by Earl Spillar
http://www.hpc.unm.edu/~download/abqlispscheme/archives/Earl.Spillar-Paradigms_of_Artificial_Intelligence.pdf

According to the last slide in this presentation (slide 20),

> More focused on AI than Practical Common Lisp

Perhaps it is the AI-related portions that are troubling you, not the
Common Lisp-related ones.  In a way, you may perhaps be comparing
apples and oranges.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^

From: William James
Benjamin L. Russell wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:25:24 -0700 (PDT), Francogrex <······@grex.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Is this one of the most difficult CL books to read or what? I have
> > read without a lot of trouble other books including Seibel's
> > "Practical Common Lisp" and Graham's "on lisp" and "ansi common lisp";
> > but for Norvig's PAIP I have to read each page at least three times
> > and still don't get most of what he's saying. It's a pity that it's so
> > advanced/difficult because it's such a darn good book.
>
> You may wish to take a look at the following related book report:
>
> "Paradigms of Aritificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in
> Common Lisp by Peter Norvig: A Book Report," by Earl Spillar
> http://www.hpc.unm.edu/~download/abqlispscheme/archives/Earl.Spillar-Paradigms_of_Artificial_Intelligence.pdf
>
> According to the last slide in this presentation (slide 20),
>
> > More focused on AI than Practical Common Lisp
>
> Perhaps it is the AI-related portions that are troubling you, not the
> Common Lisp-related ones.

It was not until slide 20 that it dawned on you that
"Paradigms of Aritificial Intelligence Programming" is about
artificial intelligence.

You were made for CommuneLisp.
From: Benjamin L. Russell
On 17 Mar 2009 09:01:52 GMT, "William James" <·········@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Benjamin L. Russell wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:25:24 -0700 (PDT), Francogrex <······@grex.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Is this one of the most difficult CL books to read or what? I have
>> > read without a lot of trouble other books including Seibel's
>> > "Practical Common Lisp" and Graham's "on lisp" and "ansi common lisp";
>> > but for Norvig's PAIP I have to read each page at least three times
>> > and still don't get most of what he's saying. It's a pity that it's so
>> > advanced/difficult because it's such a darn good book.
>>
>> You may wish to take a look at the following related book report:
>>
>> "Paradigms of Aritificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in
>> Common Lisp by Peter Norvig: A Book Report," by Earl Spillar
>> http://www.hpc.unm.edu/~download/abqlispscheme/archives/Earl.Spillar-Paradigms_of_Artificial_Intelligence.pdf
>>
>> According to the last slide in this presentation (slide 20),
>>
>> > More focused on AI than Practical Common Lisp
>>
>> Perhaps it is the AI-related portions that are troubling you, not the
>> Common Lisp-related ones.
>
>It was not until slide 20 that it dawned on you that
>"Paradigms of Aritificial Intelligence Programming" is about
>artificial intelligence.
>
>You were made for CommuneLisp.

<shrugs and looks upward>

Actually, I realized that on the first slide, but was trying to find
if there was any reason that PAIP, in particular, seemed difficult to
Francogrex.  Not finding any, I defaulted to my initial conclusion,
which happened to be stated in a nutshell on slide 20.