From: Xah Lee
Subject: Ban Xah Lee
Of interest:

• Why Can't You Be Normal?
  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/why_cant_you_be_normal.html

• Ban Xah Lee
  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/ban_Xah_Lee.html

I consider this post relevant because i've been perennially gossiped
about in comp.lang.* groups today and in the past 5 or 10 years, many
of the threads mentioning my name are not started by me nor did i ever
participate.

Plain text version one of the above article follows.

Ban Xah Lee

Xah Lee, 2009-03-07

This page is a short collection of online communities that banned me,
in a way that i don't consider just. It illustrates the political
nature among the tech geeking males.

HARASSMENT BY JOHN BOKMA

I was harassed by a newsgroup poster John Bokma (a regular of
comp.lang.perl.misc) to have my web hosting service provider kick me
off. This happened in 2006.

manner to “comp.lang.*” newsgroups. I was using Google's newsgroup
service to post it, and has nothing to do with my web hosting service
provider, other than my signature containing my website or links to
relevant articles on my website. However, this guy digs up my web
hosting provider, and lobbied people to send complains to kick me off.

Detailed account: DreamHost.com and A Incidence of Harassment

WIKIPEDIA

My Wikipedia account P0lyglut is banned by Wikipedia admins in
~2008-06 for a month or so.

citing info from Chinese historian Li Ao, and was fighting with those
who revert me in a non-conformal way. They banned me for editing, and
subsequently banned me from editing my talk page, and removed the
defense i gave on my talk page.

The original reason for reverting my editing was that i linked to my
own website (which contains the collected videos of Li Ao's program on
youtube, with English translation and summary). Subsequently, because
i did not behave in a way that seems “polite” to them, and kept on
fighting, the reason they cited to ban me was spreading propaganda.

For some account of this incident, see bottom of: Why Can't You Be
Normal?. The fighting and discussion can be seen on my talk page, at:
User talk:P0lyglut. The writing where i defended my edit, that got
removed from my talk page, is here: Wikipedia User talk:P0lyglut ...
2008-07. Local copy of these at: Wikipedia_ban_2008-06.zip.

FREENODE IRC EMACS CHANNEL

I'm banned on Freenode's irc emacs channel since about 2006-10, and
the ban was never lifted as of 2009-03. The ban is primarily, and
single-handedly executed by John Sullivan (aka johnsu01).

Some detail: Emacs Irc Channel Ban On Xah Lee.

HACKER NEWS

“Hacker News” website, at http://news.ycombinator.com/, banned me
around 2009-02 or earlier.

Someone posted a question about why some sites seem to be banned,
titled “Ask PG- What is the list of banned sites and why are they
banned”. He asked for reasons or a public list. The url is at Source.
(local archive: Hacker_News_xahlee.org_ban.zip) Then, someone posted
the list of domains/sub-domains that are banned, which contains my
site “xahlee.org”.

No explicit reason is given. It appears to me, it was banned because
one of my essay: Why Software Suck, has been submitted to the site in
2009-02, then in the discussion, someone mentioned i am a troll, then
admin placed my site on ban.

There are other bans that i consider unjust. This page is a start to
list them. I'll try to add more when i have time.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

From: Tim Greer
Subject: Re: Ban Xah Lee
Xah Lee wrote:

> Of interest:

Unintesting stuff snipped.  Perhaps it's the irrelevant, off topic posts
you continue to make to groups that have nothing to do with your self
gratifying rants?  We get it, you think you're smarter than anyone else
and that's the reason for you posting and arguing with people.  That is
why people probably kill filed you (there's no "ban" feature for usenet
itself).  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're not as
important as you like to think yourself.  Into the killfile you go.
and Custom Hosting.  24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
From: Tim Roberts
Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:

>manner to �comp.lang.*� newsgroups.

And that one (completely accurate) sentence is really the core of virtually
all of your troubles, isn't it?

Usually, as people mature, they learn by experience that their
communications are accepted more easily if they are presented with calm and
courtesy.  This is neither good nor bad, nor is it a conspiracy.  It is
simple human nature.

If you want your words to be heard, you cannot continue to ignore human
nature.  You might not LIKE reining in your vitriol, and being pleasant to
the unwashed ignorant masses, but that's what it takes.  If you don't CARE
whether anyone reads your words, then please feel free to continue with
your current behaviors.
--
Tim Roberts, ····@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Grant Edwards
On 2009-03-08, Tim Roberts <····@probo.com> wrote:
> Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:

>>manner to �comp.lang.*� newsgroups.
>
> And that one (completely accurate) sentence is really the core of virtually
> all of your troubles, isn't it?
>
> Usually, as people mature, they learn by experience that their
> communications are accepted more easily if they are presented
> with calm and courtesy.  This is neither good nor bad, nor is
> it a conspiracy.  It is simple human nature.

IANAP, but I suspect that parts of his brain don't work the
same way most of ours do and he has a very limited ability to
perceive things from another person's point of view.  This
results in an inability to communicate effectively and a
crippling lack of understanding of the social conventions that
most of us figured out and adapted to by the time we were 8
years old.  He probably is honestly unable to understand why
other people react the way they do to his postings.  If I were
going to have to pick a label, I'd say he's got Asperger's
syndrome or a similar autism spectrum disorder.

From the AS Wikipedia article:

  Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually
  withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if
  awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided,
  long-winded speech about a favorite topic while
  misunderstanding or not recognizing the listener's feelings
  or reactions, such as need for privacy or haste to leave.[5]
  This social awkwardness has been called "active but odd".[1]
  This failure to react appropriately to social interaction may
  appear as disregard for other people's feelings, and may come
  across as insensitive.[5]

  Although individuals with Asperger syndrome acquire language
  skills without significant general delay and their speech
  typically lacks significant abnormalities, language
  acquisition and use is often atypical.[5] Abnormalities
  include verbosity, abrupt transitions, literal
  interpretations and miscomprehension of nuance, use of
  metaphor meaningful only to the speaker, auditory perception
  deficits, unusually pedantic, formal or idiosyncratic speech,
  and oddities in loudness, pitch, intonation, prosody, and
  rhythm.[1]

What particularly struck me was the "use of metaphor meaningful
only to the speaker" and "unusully pedantic" aspects of Xah
Lee's posts.

If somebody with AS can't recognize a listener's reactions when
they're face-to-face, you can imagine the difficulty they'd
have on Usenet.

There you go: a 30-second psychological diagnosis by an
electrical engineer based entirely on Usenet postings.  It
doesn't get much more worthless than that...

--
Grant
From: Craig Allen
> There you go: a 30-second psychological diagnosis by an
> electrical engineer based entirely on Usenet postings.  It
> doesn't get much more worthless than that...
>
> --
> Grant

rolf but interesting post nonetheless.  I have been really somewhat
fascinated by AS since I heard of it about a decade ago.  There are
many among us, with interesting ideas, occasionally savant level
insight into certain abstractions, which often they can not
communicate but which lie there for those that can communicate or come
to understand nonetheless.

having said that, none of this forgives rudeness or implies people
have to tolarate it due to a person's condition, or even due to trying
to help them achieve their potential (and thus get something
productive out of it ourselves as well)...  that is, if you have these
communications problems you have to realize it, thank god you are
functional, and just that alone will help you communicate.

me, also IANAP, also working from usenet and an asperger's book I read
(and google)...
From: Kenneth Tilton
Craig Allen wrote:
>> There you go: a 30-second psychological diagnosis by an
>> electrical engineer based entirely on Usenet postings.  It
>> doesn't get much more worthless than that...
>>
>> --
>> Grant
>
> rolf but interesting post nonetheless.  I have been really somewhat
> fascinated by AS since I heard of it about a decade ago.  There are
> many among us, with interesting ideas, occasionally savant level
> insight into certain abstractions, which often they can not
> communicate but which lie there for those that can communicate or come
> to understand nonetheless.
>
> having said that, none of this forgives rudeness or implies people
> have to tolarate it due to a person's condition, or even due to trying
> to help them achieve their potential (and thus get something
> productive out of it ourselves as well)...  that is, if you have these
> communications problems you have to realize it, thank god you are
> functional, and just that alone will help you communicate.

eeep!

kt

ps. when the hell do I get an eponymous banning thread?! I have been
flaming this damn group for 13 years and no recognition!! k
From: Javier
Kenneth Tilton escribi�:
> Craig Allen wrote:
>>> There you go: a 30-second psychological diagnosis by an
>>> electrical engineer based entirely on Usenet postings.  It
>>> doesn't get much more worthless than that...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Grant
>>
>> rolf but interesting post nonetheless.  I have been really somewhat
>> fascinated by AS since I heard of it about a decade ago.  There are
>> many among us, with interesting ideas, occasionally savant level
>> insight into certain abstractions, which often they can not
>> communicate but which lie there for those that can communicate or come
>> to understand nonetheless.
>>
>> having said that, none of this forgives rudeness or implies people
>> have to tolarate it due to a person's condition, or even due to trying
>> to help them achieve their potential (and thus get something
>> productive out of it ourselves as well)...  that is, if you have these
>> communications problems you have to realize it, thank god you are
>> functional, and just that alone will help you communicate.
>
> eeep!
>
> kt
>
> ps. when the hell do I get an eponymous banning thread?! I have been
> flaming this damn group for 13 years and no recognition!! k

I recognize you. Is it enough?

Anyway you absolutely must start to use Clojure and argue against the
Dead Thing if you are _really_ serious about your pretensions.
From: Haines Brown
A glance at Ban Xah Lee's web page reveals that he is what is called an
autodidact - someone who is self-taught. While this is an admirable
achievement, it carries with it certain dangers.

One is that it gives the illusion that learning is not a social
activity, but an individual one. This is not the case. The autodidact
merely abandons conventional structures for his education and pursues
his own course. However, from the moment they are born, our development
arises through social contact. If you study library books in your garret
entirely on your down, the book is still a social communication. What
autodidaction shows is that there is more than one way to develop
through social contact, not that it can be done without it.

If the bulk of one's development necessarily takes place through social
communication, then one depends on the effectiveness of that
communication. This is why we use conventional words, familiar concepts
and accepted facts to build an argument. When we cannot do so, there
should be good reason.

That is why, when we seek to challenge conventional wisdom, we ought to
do so in a manner least likely to offend or confuse. Rudeness,
unnecessary obscurity, novel words or concepts that are not mandatory,
reliance on contested facts rather than conventional knowledge,
insensitivity for one's intended readership, threaten the line of
communication that makes it unlikely to bring others over to our
position and also ultimately unlikely that we can develop ourselves.

Another danger facing the autodidact is that it is too easy to acquire a
contempt for others. If we have studied a field obsessively for some
years, it is natural that we end in a position where our knowledge will
generally be superior. But this does not make us superior. We don't live
in a world in which social relations arise from a private possession of
expertise, but in a world in which we develop ourselves through our
relations with others. As any teacher will attest, you often learn more
from the ignorant than from the expert. It is our social solidarity that
gives rise to potentials that allow us to exceed our private capacities,
not our being able to acquire and privately possess intellectual riches
for ourselves.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM

From: William James
Haines Brown wrote:

> If we have studied a field obsessively for some
> years, it is natural that we end in a position where our knowledge will
> generally be superior. But this does not make us superior.

What does make us superior?  Are you so dishonest or insane as
to assert that everyone is equal?

This line of sophistry leads to the conclusion that Isaac Newton
was not superior to a microcephalous idiot.  Probably several---
nay, thousands!---of these idiots had already invented calculus
and Newtonian mechanics, only to see their achievements ignored by
the elitists.

Or perhaps you mean that although these idiots were grossly inferior to
Newton in intellect, character, personality, and knowledge, their
other assets elevated them to Newton's level---their ability to
discharge copious amounts of spittle, mucous, urine, and execrement.

And in the workplace today, the idiots should be paid the same as
the geniuses.  Superiority is a fascist lie.

From each according to his abilities; to each according to his needs.

All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.
From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
William James wrote:
> Haines Brown wrote:
>
>> If we have studied a field obsessively for some
>> years, it is natural that we end in a position where our knowledge will
>> generally be superior. But this does not make us superior.
>
> What does make us superior?  Are you so dishonest or insane as
> to assert that everyone is equal?

While we may be superior in some fields, we may be deficient in others.
With very few exceptions one implies the other. I don't know of any
Nobel Prize winning Olympic Gold Medal athletes.

And the biggest determinant of overall success in the world (as in being
able to change it) is character.

--
Dirk

From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2009-03-08, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> William James wrote:
>> Haines Brown wrote:
>>
>>> If we have studied a field obsessively for some
>>> years, it is natural that we end in a position where our knowledge will
>>> generally be superior. But this does not make us superior.
>>
>> What does make us superior?  Are you so dishonest or insane as
>> to assert that everyone is equal?
>
> While we may be superior in some fields, we may be deficient in others.
> With very few exceptions one implies the other. I don't know of any
> Nobel Prize winning Olympic Gold Medal athletes.

Eveni if belonging to either set is completely independent of the other, the
intersection can be expected to be vanishingly tiny, based on a simple
multiplication of probabilities.

How many Nobel prize laureates are there in total? And how many Olympic gold
medalists would you expect to find in a random population sample of that size?
From: Haines Brown
I hesitate to extend an OT thread, but so be it...

"William James" <·········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Haines Brown wrote:
>
>> If we have studied a field obsessively for some
>> years, it is natural that we end in a position where our knowledge will
>> generally be superior. But this does not make us superior.
>
> What does make us superior?  Are you so dishonest or insane as
> to assert that everyone is equal?

I clearly said superior in relation to knowledge. If the term "equality"
refers to some standard of empirical measurement such as expertise or
virtue, people are obviously not the same. So if we are to advocate
equality, it must be justified in non-empirical terms.

> This line of sophistry leads to the conclusion that Isaac Newton
> was not superior to a microcephalous idiot.  Probably several---
> nay, thousands!---of these idiots had already invented calculus
> and Newtonian mechanics, only to see their achievements ignored by
> the elitists.
>
> Or perhaps you mean that although these idiots were grossly inferior to
> Newton in intellect, character, personality, and knowledge, their
> other assets elevated them to Newton's level---their ability to
> discharge copious amounts of spittle, mucous, urine, and execrement.

No, your hypothetical idiot is empirically not the same as Newton, and
we don't have to reduce them to biological functions to argue the
contrary. In what sense can an idiot be considered equal to a Newton?
Well, in some empirical respects they are clearly not, but in others
(probably of lesser significance) they are. On the other hand, in terms
of human rights today the idiot and Newton are presumed to have an
equality before the law, but this desideratum can't be empirically
based. The justifications for this have evolved in time, but I suspect
there is need for a more scientific one today. Its absence puts our vaunted
commitment to equality on a rather insecure footing, I fear.

> And in the workplace today, the idiots should be paid the same as
> the geniuses.  Superiority is a fascist lie.

I think you get into trouble here. If I understand correctly, you are
attributing to me the implied view that we should all be paid the same,
but I didn't say nor wish to imply that. Our contributions to society
will differ greatly, but it does not necessarily follow that payment
should therefore be a function of that contribution, and I don't happen
to feel that way. Indeed, you counter that each should be paid according
to their needs. That makes sense to me, but undoubtedly people will
raise counter arguments.

Secondly, I don't quite know what to make of your comment that
"superiority is a fascist lie". The basis of people's equality is not
their empirical uniformity, and so that equality must be based on
something else. What this is I'll not explore here, but I could say
plenty about it. My notion of fascism is that it subsumes private life
under politics, and indeed that would seem to devalue individual
differences. So I don't see that a claim of the superiority of one
person in relation to another is at all fascist, quite the opposite.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM

From: Craig Allen
> And in the workplace today, the idiots should be paid the same as
> the geniuses.  Superiority is a fascist lie.

or wait, we can pay them for their superior knowledge in our area of
business rather than because they are as people, overall, "superior".
It's not that hard of a concept... skill is relative to the problem
domain, superiority with a skill does not make one superior in some
sort of  universal problem domain.  Obviously.
From: D Herring
<apologies for the cross posting>

Xah Lee wrote:
> This page is a short collection of online communities that banned me,
> in a way that i don't consider just. It illustrates the political
> nature among the tech geeking males.

If anybody on this list visits Boston, contact me to claim your free beer.

:)
From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
Xah Lee wrote:
> [...]
>
> “Hacker News” website, at http://news.ycombinator.com/, banned me
> around 2009-02 or earlier.
>
> Someone posted a question about why some sites seem to be banned,
> titled “Ask PG- What is the list of banned sites and why are they
> banned”. He asked for reasons or a public list. The url is at Source.
> (local archive: Hacker_News_xahlee.org_ban.zip) Then, someone posted
> the list of domains/sub-domains that are banned, which contains my
> site “xahlee.org”.
>
> No explicit reason is given. It appears to me, it was banned because
> one of my essay: Why Software Suck, has been submitted to the site in
> 2009-02, then in the discussion, someone mentioned i am a troll, then
> admin placed my site on ban.
>
> There are other bans that i consider unjust. This page is a start to
> list them. I'll try to add more when i have time.

Well, don't worry - nobody is going to ban you from Usenet (except
possibly the Chinese govt).
OTOH, nobody here much cares.
So, rant on - it's what Usenet is for. ☄

--
Dirk

From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

--
Dirk

From: Larry Gates
On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 04:09:52 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

>> Well, don't worry - nobody is going to ban you from Usenet (except
>> possibly the Chinese govt).
>> OTOH, nobody here much cares.
>> So, rant on - it's what Usenet is for. ☄ <--- what is that char?????

http://lomas-assault.net/usenet/z12.jpg

I don't know how to answer the question.  Is the zeroeth character also
null?
--
larry gates

You have the irritating habit of asking good questions I don't have
an easy answer for.  Please don't stop.
    -- Larry Wall in <······················@wall.org>
From: RedGrittyBrick
Larry Gates wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 04:09:52 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
>
>> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
>
>>> Well, don't worry - nobody is going to ban you from Usenet (except
>>> possibly the Chinese govt).
>>> OTOH, nobody here much cares.
>>> So, rant on - it's what Usenet is for. ☄ <--- what is that char?????
>
> http://lomas-assault.net/usenet/z12.jpg
>
> I don't know how to answer the question.  Is the zeroeth character also
> null?

/u2604 Comet symbol

followups set

--
RGB
From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
Larry Gates wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 04:09:52 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
>
>> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
>
>>> Well, don't worry - nobody is going to ban you from Usenet (except
>>> possibly the Chinese govt).
>>> OTOH, nobody here much cares.
>>> So, rant on - it's what Usenet is for. ☄ <--- what is that char?????
>
> http://lomas-assault.net/usenet/z12.jpg
>
> I don't know how to answer the question.  Is the zeroeth character also
> null?

Almost had me cleaning the screen.

--
Dirk

From: Kenneth Tilton
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
> Larry Gates wrote:

>> http://lomas-assault.net/usenet/z12.jpg
>>
>> I don't know how to answer the question.  Is the zeroeth character also
>> null?
>
> Almost had me cleaning the screen.

I confess. I moved the window to be sure. But I have an excuse: more
than once I have tried to delete a bit of dried... well, never mind.

hth, kt
From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
Kenneth Tilton wrote:
> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
>> Larry Gates wrote:

>>> http://lomas-assault.net/usenet/z12.jpg
>>>
>>> I don't know how to answer the question.  Is the zeroeth character also
>>> null?
>>
>> Almost had me cleaning the screen.
>>

> I confess. I moved the window to be sure. But I have an excuse: more
> than once I have tried to delete a bit of dried... well, never mind.
>
> hth, kt

Sneezing while eating while programming can be messy.

--
Dirk

From: Larry Gates
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:37:50 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

> Kenneth Tilton wrote:
>> Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

>>> Almost had me cleaning the screen.
>>>

>> I confess. I moved the window to be sure. But I have an excuse: more
>> than once I have tried to delete a bit of dried... well, never mind.
>>
>> hth, kt
>
> Sneezing while eating while programming can be messy.

For me, the worst thing is when I'm programming, and a bug *actually* gets
on my monitor.  In real life, I'm this tough person: a rugged tradesmen.
I'm so phobic of bugs that I'll run away screaming like a girl.
--
larry gates

I dunno.  Perhaps you should be happy that I have a policy of refraining
from grumbling about handicapped operating systems.  :-)
             -- Larry Wall in <·····················@wall.org>
From: Lew
Larry Gates wrote:
> For me, the worst thing is when I'm programming, and a bug *actually* gets
> on my monitor.  In real life, I'm this tough person: a rugged tradesmen.
> I'm so phobic of bugs that I'll run away screaming like a girl.

I had a smudge on my monitor some years ago.  It was on the frame, not the
screen itself, but visible on the side.  The person next to me pointed at it,
thinking an insect had crawled onto the monitor, and asked, "Is that a bug?"

I looked, realized it was a baked-in blemish and answered, "No, it's a feature."

I didn't realize what I had done until after I said it.

--
Lew
From: ···@netherlands.com
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:08:54 -0400, Lew <·····@lewscanon.com> wrote:

>Larry Gates wrote:
>> For me, the worst thing is when I'm programming, and a bug *actually* gets
>> on my monitor.  In real life, I'm this tough person: a rugged tradesmen.
>> I'm so phobic of bugs that I'll run away screaming like a girl.
>
>I had a smudge on my monitor some years ago.  It was on the frame, not the
>screen itself, but visible on the side.  The person next to me pointed at it,
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He said: "I work so close to you we must be telemarketers, does my body odor
bother you?"

-sln
From: Lew
···@netherlands.com wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:08:54 -0400, Lew <·····@lewscanon.com> wrote:
>
>> Larry Gates wrote:
>>> For me, the worst thing is when I'm programming, and a bug *actually* gets
>>> on my monitor.  In real life, I'm this tough person: a rugged tradesmen.
>>> I'm so phobic of bugs that I'll run away screaming like a girl.
>> I had a smudge on my monitor some years ago.  It was on the frame, not the
>> screen itself, but visible on the side.  The person next to me pointed at it,
>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> He said: "I work so close to you we must be telemarketers, does my body odor
> bother you?"

Uhhhhh ...

--
Lew
From: Larry Gates
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 01:15:19 -0400, Lew wrote:

> ···@netherlands.com wrote:

>>> I had a smudge on my monitor some years ago.  It was on the frame, not the
>>> screen itself, but visible on the side.  The person next to me pointed at it,
>>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> He said: "I work so close to you we must be telemarketers, does my body odor
>> bother you?"
>
> Uhhhhh ...

There's nothing quite as Europaen as B.O.  Europe:  "where they have the
means to use soap but not the inclination."
--
larry gates

I'm not consistent about consistency, you see, except when I am...
And I try to believe six foolish consistencies before breakfast each day.
:-)
    -- Larry Wall in <······················@wall.org>
From: J�rgen Exner
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>Xah Lee wrote:

My vote: YES

jue
From: Arved Sandstrom
"Xah Lee" <······@gmail.com> wrote in message
·········································@d19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
[ SNIP ]
This page is a short collection of online communities that banned me,
in a way that i don't consider just. It illustrates the political
nature among the tech geeking males.
[ SNIP ]

********************
Here's the thing - most people don't get banned from anything even once, let
alone from online communities many times. While it's certainly within the
realm of possibility that a single ban from a single online community may be
unjust, when a pattern develops it's a pretty good sign that you're the
problem, not them.

AHS
From: r
On Mar 7, 5:52 pm, Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> HARASSMENT BY JOHN BOKMA
>
> I was harassed by a newsgroup poster John Bokma (a regular of
> comp.lang.perl.misc) to have my web hosting service provider kick me
> off. This happened in 2006.

I know the feeling. I have this super geek with nothing but time on
his hands constantly following me around like a flies on an elephants
crack. This lowlife has nothing better to do with his time. But, i
guess at least this give his poor miserable life some meaning. It's
nice to know i can help those poor saps less fortunate than me :)
From: Roedy Green
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 14:52:02 -0800 (PST), Xah Lee <······@gmail.com>

>I consider this post relevant because i've been perennially gossiped
>about in comp.lang.* groups today and in the past 5 or 10 years, many
>of the threads mentioning my name are not started by me nor did i ever
>participate.

The reason you are unpopular has nothing to with what you say.  It is
that you don't participate in discussions. You just pontificate from
on high. It implies a sort of haughty superciliousness that people are
reacting to.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival."
~ Dr. W. (William) Edwards Deming (born: 1900-10-14 died: 1993-12-20 at age: 93))
From: Kenneth Tilton
Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 14:52:02 -0800 (PST), Xah Lee <······@gmail.com>
>
>> I consider this post relevant because i've been perennially gossiped
>> about in comp.lang.* groups today and in the past 5 or 10 years, many
>> of the threads mentioning my name are not started by me nor did i ever
>> participate.
>
> The reason you are unpopular has nothing to with what you say.  It is
> that you don't participate in discussions. You just pontificate from
> on high. It implies a sort of haughty superciliousness that people are
> reacting to.

Buddha taught that the universe is ineluctably a single interconnected
web of cause and effect, which is my haughty preamble to this
observation: it depends on the newsgroup.

comp.lang.lisp is cool so here Xah participates as a normal contributor.

kt

ps. The "Failed Attempt At Witty Comeback" lines are now open. Plz dial
carefully. k
From: Steve Sobol
On 2009-03-09, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Buddha taught that the universe is ineluctably a single interconnected
> web of cause and effect, which is my haughty preamble to this
> observation: it depends on the newsgroup.
>
> comp.lang.lisp is cool so here Xah participates as a normal contributor.

That's great, but he trolls like crazy here (comp.lang.java.programmer).

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA

Microsoft's new marketing slogan for Windows is "Life Without Walls."
But if you have no walls, how can you have windows?
From: Tim Greer
Steve Sobol wrote:

> On 2009-03-09, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Buddha taught that the universe is ineluctably a single
>> interconnected web of cause and effect, which is my haughty preamble
>> to this observation: it depends on the newsgroup.
>>
>> comp.lang.lisp is cool so here Xah participates as a normal
>> contributor.
>
> That's great, but he trolls like crazy here
> (comp.lang.java.programmer).

Hi hits us at comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.lang.python, too (with off
topic posts). He's just a weirdo that thinks he's incredibly important
and interesting, and just ignores people's requests for him to stop
cross posting.  In the end, I've seen worse posters than Xah Lee, but
he's in my killfile.
and Custom Hosting.  24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
From: Marco Mariani
Tim Greer wrote:

> topic posts). He's just a weirdo that thinks he's incredibly important
> and interesting, and just ignores people's requests for him to stop
> cross posting.  In the end, I've seen worse posters than Xah Lee,

Did you? First time I killfile somebody, in 16 years.

I wish I could burn his website.
From: Larry Gates
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 03:19:19 +0000 (UTC), Steve Sobol wrote:

> On 2009-03-09, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Buddha taught that the universe is ineluctably a single interconnected
>> web of cause and effect, which is my haughty preamble to this
>> observation: it depends on the newsgroup.
>>
>> comp.lang.lisp is cool so here Xah participates as a normal contributor.
>
> That's great, but he trolls like crazy here (comp.lang.java.programmer).

I've seen his posts for years now and in different places.

I'm certain he's the smartest computer guy on his street.  He takes these
data to show how he's so influential on the net.

I looked at his site once.  I wouldn't be convinced that he knows any of
the syntaxes where he posts; then again, I don't know lisp.

I think we all have a definite opinion on massive crossposting with nothing
relevant.

I'm happy to hear that c.l.lisp is a cool place.  How's that for five eyes?
--
larry gates

Perl will always provide the null.
             -- Larry Wall in <·····················@wall.org>
From: J�rgen Exner
Larry Gates <·····@example.invalid> wrote:
>>> comp.lang.lisp is cool so here Xah participates as a normal contributor.

>I'm certain he's the smartest computer guy on his street.

Make that "he ist certain, he is the smartest computer guy".

jue
From: Christian
Xah Lee schrieb:
> Of interest:
>
> • Why Can't You Be Normal?
>   http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/why_cant_you_be_normal.html
IMHO the point that you never reply to responds is what makes it
problematic.
I have  seen 10 or more threads started by you and in not a single one
of those I have seen any sort of second post by you.

Also the other thing that makes you appear like a troll is that  the
only posts where you are visible on the usenet are your own!

Usenet is there for discussion. What you do seems to be mostly doing a
often highly intelligent monologue  and awaiting comment on it.

Its not the purpose of Usenet. Simply calling you a troll is wrong.
You are after all better than that. Though I think you are misusing the
Usenet. For what you do you should rather write a weblog so people
interested in your monologues could follow them in a place where they
are by definition on topic.

Christian
From: Tim Greer
Christian wrote:

> Though I think you are misusing the
> Usenet. For what you do you should rather write a weblog so people
> interested in your monologues could follow them in a place where they
> are by definition on topic.

I would agree that is the issue in Xah Lee's case as well.  I don't know
that he realizes he's posting in off topic groups in what seems nothing
more than self gratification, but perhaps he's just confused and
doesn't realize that usenet is not the place to just randomly post a
thought or challenge about a topic (especially in irrelevant groups to
his ranting) and linking to his site and not usually following up to
his own posts (like a poor form of self promotion of his articles).  I
agree, I think he might just be confused and needs to consider setting
up a blog about his feelings and whatnot, and he needs to understand
that it's not appropriate to do it on usenet.  Problem is, I don't
think he's just confused altogether, but he'll probably ignore the
entire topic he started anyway and continue doing what he's doing (he
seems to think the lisc, perl, python, java and ruby groups are his
personal blog medium, so all of his thoughts and feelings are
continually posted in places they don't belong -- and he doesn't care).
and Custom Hosting.  24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
From: Xah Lee
Christian <········@xyz.de> wrote:

On Mar 9, 1:22 pm, Christian <········@xyz.de> wrote:
> XahLeeschrieb:> Of interest:
>
> > • Why Can't You Be Normal?
> >  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/why_cant_you_be_normal.html
>
> IMHO the point that you never reply to responds is what makes it
> problematic.
> I have  seen 10 or more threads started by you and in not a single one
> of those I have seen any sort of second post by you.
>
> Also the other thing that makes you appear like a troll is that  the
> only posts where you are visible on the usenet are your own!
>
> Usenet is there for discussion. What you do seems to be mostly doing a
> often highly intelligent monologue  and awaiting comment on it.
>
> Its not the purpose of Usenet. Simply calling you a troll is wrong.
> You are after all better than that. Though I think you are misusing the
> Usenet. For what you do you should rather write a weblog so people
> interested in your monologues could follow them in a place where they
> are by definition on topic.
>
> Christian

In the article you quoted:
 http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/why_cant_you_be_normal.html

contains this passage:

«
Some people says that i don't participate in discussion, and this is
part of the reason they think i'm a so-called “troll”. Actually i do,
and read every reply to my post, as well have replied to technical
questions other posted. Most replies to my posts are attacks or
trivial (of few sentences) i don't consider worthy to reply.

A few, maybe 10% replies to my unconventional posts, i consider having
some value. But if i don't have sufficiently remarkable opinion on
what they remarked, i don't reply. Also, if all i wanted to say is
“thanks”, i tend to avoid posting such trivial posts too. (i used to
reply by personal email in such cases, I still do sometimes now, but
today that can be considered intrusive.)
»

if you didn't start your message with “IMHO”, which indicated to me
that at least you are sincere, i would not have replied. (no offense
intended)  Btw, i'm not some kind of saint. You (guys) do whatever
chatty style you want, i write or choose to reply in my abstruse &
ascetic manners. Just don't accuse when my style is not compatible
your drivels. (insult intentional)

I have written quite a lot on netiquette issues in the past decade.
You can find many answers about my reasons or posting behavior here:

• Netiquette Anthropology
  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/troll.html

Recently i started a blog that is collection of my online posts. If
you need to talk about me, feel free to comment there. I am more
likely to reply there for questions pertaining just me. The url is
here: http://xah-forum.blogspot.com/

If anyone likes me to give answers particular to this thread, or
desire me to reply to all the messages directed to me in this thread,
i'll be more than happy to do so.

Also, thanks to many supporters over the past years.

Truly Your Superior,

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: Tim Greer
Xah Lee wrote:

> Christian <········@xyz.de> wrote:
>
> On Mar 9, 1:22 pm, Christian <········@xyz.de> wrote:
>> XahLeeschrieb:> Of interest:
>>
>> > • Why Can't You Be Normal?
>> >  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/why_cant_you_be_normal.html
>>
>> IMHO the point that you never reply to responds is what makes it
>> problematic.
>> I have  seen 10 or more threads started by you and in not a single
>> one of those I have seen any sort of second post by you.
>>
>> Also the other thing that makes you appear like a troll is that  the
>> only posts where you are visible on the usenet are your own!
>>
>> Usenet is there for discussion. What you do seems to be mostly doing
>> often highly intelligent monologue  and awaiting comment on it.
>>
>> Its not the purpose of Usenet. Simply calling you a troll is wrong.
>> You are after all better than that. Though I think you are misusing
>> the Usenet. For what you do you should rather write a weblog so
>> people interested in your monologues could follow them in a place
>> where they are by definition on topic.
>>
>> Christian
>
> In the article you quoted:
>  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/........ugh

Apparently my usenet filter is broken.

> contains this passage:
>
> «
> »
>
> if you didn't start your message with “IMHO”, which indicated to me
> that at least you are sincere, i would not have replied. (no offense
> intended)  Btw, i'm not some kind of saint. You (guys) do whatever
> chatty style you want, i write or choose to reply in my abstruse &
> ascetic manners. Just don't accuse when my style is not compatible
> your drivels. (insult intentional)

Actually, people take issue with you posting to groups that hold no
relevance to your posts, especially when you post about your personal
issues and problems that don't relate to any single group.

> I have written quite a lot on netiquette issues in the past decade.

But you don't follow them?

> You can find many answers about my reasons or posting behavior here:
>
> • Netiquette Anthropology
>   http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/troll.html

I don't care for your reasons or behavior, but that you've been
repeatedly asked not to post your feelings about LISP in the Python,
Perl, and Ruby groups.

> Recently i started a blog that is collection of my online posts.

So, use that instead of posting to random, off topic groups on usenet.

> If
> you need to talk about me, feel free to comment there.

You post here, I reply to you here.

> I am more
> likely to reply there for questions pertaining just me. The url is
> here:

Irrevant to your posting here without relevance.  I have no desire to
talk to you and say anything else.  So, can you stop cross posting to
the same 5 groups every time you post something, unless it's actually
relevant to the group?

> If anyone likes me to give answers particular to this thread, or
> desire me to reply to all the messages directed to me in this thread,
> i'll be more than happy to do so.

Just please stop posting to groups that hold no relevance, as if they
are your personal blog.  Usenet is not a blog.

> Also, thanks to many supporters over the past years.

I'm sure.

> Truly Your Superior,

I'd think anyone superior to me would understand how to use usenet
properly.

I'm being genuine and sincere, when I say that I'd like to ask that you
stop cross posting to irrelevant groups.  Thanks for your
consideration.

and Custom Hosting.  24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
From: Tamas K Papp
On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 17:37:27 -0700, Tim Greer wrote:

> Xah Lee wrote:
> > [crap]
>
> Irrevant to your posting here without relevance.  I have no desire to
> talk to you and say anything else.  So, can you stop cross posting to
> the same 5 groups every time you post something, unless it's actually
> relevant to the group?

So don't talk to him then.  Most people have him in their killfile, if
people like you didn't respond to him I would not see him at all.

> I'm being genuine and sincere, when I say that I'd like to ask that you
> stop cross posting to irrelevant groups.  Thanks for your consideration.

Mistake.  Asking him nicely won't achieve anything.  Learn how to use
your newsreader, filter him out, case closed.  That's the only way to
deal with him.

Tamas
From: Christian
Xah Lee schrieb:
> Christian <········@xyz.de> wrote:
>
> On Mar 9, 1:22 pm, Christian <········@xyz.de> wrote:
>> XahLeeschrieb:> Of interest:
>>
>>> • Why Can't You Be Normal?
>>>  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/why_cant_you_be_normal.html
>> IMHO the point that you never reply to responds is what makes it
>> problematic.
>> I have  seen 10 or more threads started by you and in not a single one
>> of those I have seen any sort of second post by you.
>>
>> Also the other thing that makes you appear like a troll is that  the
>> only posts where you are visible on the usenet are your own!
>>
>> Usenet is there for discussion. What you do seems to be mostly doing a
>> often highly intelligent monologue  and awaiting comment on it.
>>
>> Its not the purpose of Usenet. Simply calling you a troll is wrong.
>> You are after all better than that. Though I think you are misusing the
>> Usenet. For what you do you should rather write a weblog so people
>> interested in your monologues could follow them in a place where they
>> are by definition on topic.
>>
>> Christian
>
> In the article you quoted:
>  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/why_cant_you_be_normal.html
>
> contains this passage:
>
> «
> Some people says that i don't participate in discussion, and this is
> part of the reason they think i'm a so-called “troll”. Actually i do,
> and read every reply to my post, as well have replied to technical
> questions other posted. Most replies to my posts are attacks or
> trivial (of few sentences) i don't consider worthy to reply.
>
> A few, maybe 10% replies to my unconventional posts, i consider having
> some value. But if i don't have sufficiently remarkable opinion on
> what they remarked, i don't reply. Also, if all i wanted to say is
> “thanks”, i tend to avoid posting such trivial posts too. (i used to
> reply by personal email in such cases, I still do sometimes now, but
> today that can be considered intrusive.)
> »
I have read the passage  though the 10% replies does not reflect my own
experience with your posts. Thats why I pointed out that you never reply
to the posts, at least not to the ones I have seen.

> Truly Your Superior,

Do you really think that of yourself? Now I really am disappointed of you.

Christian
From: TomSW
> Xah Lee schrieb (and how...)

For Google Groups users, there is a kill file implementation for
Firefox / Greasemonkey: http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

hth, Tom
From: Alan Mackenzie
In comp.lang.lisp Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some people says that i don't participate in discussion, and this is
> part of the reason they think i'm a so-called ?troll?. Actually i do,
> and read every reply to my post, as well have replied to technical
> questions other posted. Most replies to my posts are attacks or
> trivial (of few sentences) i don't consider worthy to reply.

Hmmm.  What does that say about your posts?  ;-)  Actually, short replies
need not be, and often aren't, "trivial".

> A few, maybe 10% replies to my unconventional posts, i consider having
> some value. But if i don't have sufficiently remarkable opinion on
> what they remarked, i don't reply. Also, if all i wanted to say is
> ?thanks?, i tend to avoid posting such trivial posts too.

Saying "thanks" isn't "trivial".  It gives feedback to the other poster,
confirming that what he's written has been read by you, and that it is
useful, or at least appreciated.  It indicates to the group what level
of answers is useful to you, what your level of sophistication is.  It
makes the group work better.

> if you didn't start your message with ?IMHO?, which indicated to me
> that at least you are sincere, i would not have replied. (no offense
> intended)

Nearly every Usenet post is an "IMHO".  This one certainly is.  The lack
of an explicit "IMHO" doesn't imply any lack of sincerity.

> Btw, i'm not some kind of saint. You (guys) do whatever
> chatty style you want, i write or choose to reply in my abstruse &
> ascetic manners. Just don't accuse when my style is not compatible
> your drivels. (insult intentional)

"Ascetic manners"!  That's wonderful, almost on a par with Sir Robert
Armstrong's "being economical with the truth".  :-)

> Also, thanks to many supporters over the past years.

Hey, you're not going away, are you?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
From: Lew
Christian wrote:
> ... [Xah Lee] seems to be mostly doing a often highly intelligent monologue ...

Really?

--
Lew
From: Bruce C. Miller
On Mar 7, 6:52 pm, Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of interest:
>
> • Why Can't You Be Normal?

Though I doubt this will do any good, I'll offer some advice that
hasn't been mentioned here and solved a lot of the problems I've had
early in life with resistance to overly-emotional negative reactions
to my opinions.

Say a person spends a great deal of time and energy researching some
topic and, based upon the evidence uncovered, comes to a conclusion
about it that is contrary to the established position within a
community, like, that RMS is a crackpot, as a simple example, which is
something I happen to agree with but that won't win many friends in
#emacs. Now, you could go in #emacs and declare your discovery of this
important fact (and, if true, it is important, since RMS is
influential), but what do you suppose will happen? Will your message's
recipients, upon hearing this news, examine your evidence, spend a few
days questioning their own beliefs, then thank you for aligning their
thoughts more closely with reality? It's possible, but chances are
you'll just be greeted with a bunch of knee-jerk defensive reactions.

So, let me offer to you a notion that maybe you haven't considered:
who cares what other people think? Sure, it's a noble cause to spread
your ideas or at least get them out there in the public discourse,
even if they're wrong, but have some realistic expectations as to your
opinion's impact. I happen to think that the "common wisdom" about
most things is typically anything but wise, and often completely
incorrect, but I don't view it as my duty on Earth to convince the
world that MS bashing, socialism, religion, etc are stupid. If asked,
I'll offer my opinion and reasoning for it, but if the other person
remains unconvinced, it's his loss.

All this said, as someone that hangs out in some of the IRC channels
you've been banned from, and having read the logs that resulted in
your banning, it's pretty obvious you've got other problems on top of
this. As often cited, your propensity for monologuing, for one. IRC,
Usenet, and such are conversational mediums, while you fail to make
the distinction between them and writing on your website. If you just
want to make declarations and honestly have nothing to learn from
others, then these are the wrong outlets for you. Your awkward grasp
of the English language doesn't help either. If you want to
communicate ideas, it can only help to master the language in which
these ideas are encoded (think about some of the things you have said
yourself about the importance of standard protocols). And, most
importantly, while I don't think you're an idiot by any means, you are
obviously very lacking in the realm of emotional maturity. The
spectacle you've made of yourself with this thread is proof enough of
this. You are a grown man, take whatever time you need to stare at
yourself in the mirror until you realize this and become determined to
act like one.
From: David Kastrup
"Bruce C. Miller" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 7, 6:52 pm, Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Of interest:
>>
>> • Why Can't You Be Normal?
>
> Though I doubt this will do any good, I'll offer some advice that
> hasn't been mentioned here and solved a lot of the problems I've had
> early in life with resistance to overly-emotional negative reactions
> to my opinions.
>
> Say a person spends a great deal of time and energy researching some
> topic and, based upon the evidence uncovered, comes to a conclusion
> about it that is contrary to the established position within a
> community, like, that RMS is a crackpot, as a simple example, which is
> something I happen to agree with but that won't win many friends in
> #emacs. Now, you could go in #emacs and declare your discovery of this
> important fact (and, if true, it is important, since RMS is
> influential), but what do you suppose will happen?

People will think about it a lot and decide that our society could
greatly benefit from increasing the number of crackpots.  The
non-crackpots come and go without leaving much of a trace.  However,
being a crackpot is not sufficient in itself (this probably being more
of a side effect rather than the main gist), so the message might not
actually be helpful.

So what is there to gain?

--
David Kastrup
From: Xah Lee
over the past 15 years, every few months i got emails from authors for
permission request of materials on my website.

today, while searching for my name on google, i found a result in
books.google.com . Out of curiosity, i searched my name in
books.google.com, and here's a hilarious result:

Machine Learning and Data Mining in Pattern Recognition: 5th
International Conference, MLDM 2007, Leipzig, Germany, July 18-20,
2007, Proceedings (Lecture ... / Lecture Notes in Artificial
Intelligence) (Paperback)
by Petra Perner (Editor)

http://books.google.com/books?id=CE1QzecoVf4C&pg=PA401&dq=xah+lee#PPA401,M1

Hilarious! (^o^)

He says: “... Barely considering du, he is easily to be neglected”.
What the hell does that mean!!? :)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: Arved Sandstrom
Xah Lee wrote:
> over the past 15 years, every few months i got emails from authors for
> permission request of materials on my website.
>
> today, while searching for my name on google, i found a result in
> books.google.com . Out of curiosity, i searched my name in
> books.google.com, and here's a hilarious result:
>
> Machine Learning and Data Mining in Pattern Recognition: 5th
> International Conference, MLDM 2007, Leipzig, Germany, July 18-20,
> 2007, Proceedings (Lecture ... / Lecture Notes in Artificial
> Intelligence) (Paperback)
> by Petra Perner (Editor)
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=CE1QzecoVf4C&pg=PA401&dq=xah+lee#PPA401,M1
>
> Hilarious! (^o^)
>
> He says: “... Barely considering du, he is easily to be neglected”.
> What the hell does that mean!!? :)
>
>   Xah
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

I think it means that she considers your datapoint to be an outlier, and
that the actual number of posts to CLPM was not really a consideration
in reaching that conclusion.

AHS