From: Gianfranco
Subject: Too much spam
Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
one of the following

1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here
2) There is a spam filter but it sucks.

If it's 1) then who is responsible for this group, and can this person
please activate a filter?
If it's 2). How come google with all the indexed data and knowledge of
algorithms can't produce something better?

Either way; this group is great, and I enjoy reading your LISP
discussions, but it's getting tiresome with all the SPAM.

From: Kenneth Tilton
Subject: Re: Too much spam
Gianfranco wrote:
> Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
> one of the following
>
> 1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
> buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here
> 2) There is a spam filter but it sucks.
>
> If it's 1) then who is responsible for this group, and can this person
> please activate a filter?
> If it's 2). How come google with all the indexed data and knowledge of
> algorithms can't produce something better?
>
> Either way; this group is great, and I enjoy reading your LISP
> discussions, but it's getting tiresome with all the SPAM.

Nonsense. Where else am I going to do my shopping and meet bank clerks
in Africa with ten million dollar notes?

kzo
From: Javier
Kenneth Tilton escribi�:
> Nonsense. Where else am I going to do my shopping and meet bank clerks
> in Africa with ten million dollar notes?

How is you child Willy?
From: Michael Ekstrand
Gianfranco <·················@gmail.com> writes:
> Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
> one of the following
>
> 1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
> buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here
> 2) There is a spam filter but it sucks.
>
> If it's 1) then who is responsible for this group, and can this person
> please activate a filter?
> If it's 2). How come google with all the indexed data and knowledge of
> algorithms can't produce something better?
>
> Either way; this group is great, and I enjoy reading your LISP
> discussions, but it's getting tiresome with all the SPAM.

Bear in mind that comp.lang.lisp is an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup, not
a mailing list or other plain Google group.  Therefore, there is no
centralized filtering point for it.  If the spam bothers you, access it
through a news reader that lets you effectively block it, or through a
news provider which provides good filtering.

My Usenet provider (aioe) does a quite good job of keeping spam away.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
From: George Neuner
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 09:06:51 -0800 (PST), Gianfranco
<·················@gmail.com> wrote:

>Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
>one of the following
>
>1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
>buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here
>2) There is a spam filter but it sucks.
>
>If it's 1) then who is responsible for this group, and can this person
>please activate a filter?
>If it's 2). How come google with all the indexed data and knowledge of
>algorithms can't produce something better?
>
>Either way; this group is great, and I enjoy reading your LISP
>discussions, but it's getting tiresome with all the SPAM.

Spam is filtered by the news provider and/or by the group moderator(s)
if the group is moderated.  This group is not moderated.

George
From: Tamas K Papp
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 09:06:51 -0800, Gianfranco wrote:

> Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe one
> of the following
>
> 1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
> buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here 2) There is a spam
> filter but it sucks.
>
> If it's 1) then who is responsible for this group, and can this person
> please activate a filter?
> If it's 2). How come google with all the indexed data and knowledge of
> algorithms can't produce something better?
>
> Either way; this group is great, and I enjoy reading your LISP
> discussions, but it's getting tiresome with all the SPAM.

Apparently you don't understand how usenet works (or doesn't work :-)  I
would suggest that you subscribe to a provider that does decent spam
filtering, I use http://news.individual.net/ but there are other good
ones.  It will cost money, but it is worth it.

Tamas
From: Kojak
Le Sat, 7 Mar 2009 09:06:51 -0800 (PST),
Gianfranco a écrit :

> Either way; this group is great, and I enjoy reading your LISP
> discussions, but it's getting tiresome with all the SPAM.

Spam! Where do you see spam? I don't see spam here.

Well, drink a good Duff, eat some spam and watch this movie:

	<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrtpT1mKy8>

Jacques.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Gianfranco <·················@gmail.com> writes:

> Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
> one of the following
>
> 1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
> buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here
> 2) There is a spam filter but it sucks.
>
> If it's 1) then who is responsible for this group, and can this person
> please activate a filter?

It's 1).  The person responsible is at the loo.  I'll tell him as soon
as he gets back.  So the problem should be corrected soon.   Good
reading of the newsgroups!

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Jon Harrop
Gianfranco wrote:
> Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
> one of the following
>
> 1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
> buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here
> 2) There is a spam filter but it sucks.

3) The Lisp community welcome spam because they rely upon it to boost usenet
traffic when comparing the popularity of Lisp to other programming
languages.

4) Spammers have discovered that the people in comp.lang.lisp are unusually
likely to fall for scams so they are focussing their efforts here.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?u
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On Mar 7, 11:36 pm, Cloaca Maxima wrote:

> 3) The Lisp community welcome spam because they rely upon it to boost usenet
> traffic when comparing the popularity of Lisp to other programming
> languages.

In other breaking news, War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is
Strength. Film at 11.

First the irish ship of the desert; then the microsoft musical note;
is your current language Newspeak?

> 4) Spammers have discovered that the people in comp.lang.lisp are unusually
> likely to fall for scams so they are focussing their efforts here.

Wishful thinking, O Lord of the comp.lang Spammers.
From: George Neuner
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 21:01:01 -0800 (PST), Raffael Cavallaro
<················@gmail.com> wrote:

>First the irish ship of the desert; ...

This one I didn't get and my Irish grandmothers aren't alive to ask.
What does it mean?

George
From: George Neuner
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:45:11 -0400, George Neuner
<········@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 21:01:01 -0800 (PST), Raffael Cavallaro
><················@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>First the irish ship of the desert; ...
>
>This one I didn't get and my Irish grandmothers aren't alive to ask.
>What does it mean?
>
>George

Doh!  Zach just clued me in.  I was stupidly looking for some old
Irish saying.

George
From: Marco Antoniotti
On Mar 8, 5:36 am, Jon Harrop <····@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> Gianfranco wrote:
> > Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
> > one of the following
>
> > 1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
> > buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here
> > 2) There is a spam filter but it sucks.
>
> 3) The Lisp community welcome spam because they rely upon it to boost usenet
> traffic when comparing the popularity of Lisp to other programming
> languages.
>
> 4) Spammers have discovered that the people in comp.lang.lisp are unusually
> likely to fall for scams so they are focussing their efforts here.

You are right.  I fell very hard for the "Ruby Guy" spam :)

Cheers
--
Marco
From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2009-03-08, Jon Harrop <···@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> Gianfranco wrote:
>> Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
>> one of the following
>>
>> 1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
>> buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here
>> 2) There is a spam filter but it sucks.
>
> 3) The Lisp community welcome spam because they rely upon it to boost usenet
> traffic when comparing the popularity of Lisp to other programming
> languages.

Jonny, you response is trollish (as usual) and completely useless and unhelpful
(ditto).  The spam experienced by Gianfranco is a consequence of using Google
Groups.  Most of it orginates within Google Groups itself, and is uniformly the
same no matter which newsgroup you select for reading via Google Groups.

> 4) Spammers have discovered that the people in comp.lang.lisp are unusually
> likely to fall for scams so they are focussing their efforts here.

Exercise: name one Lisp-targetted spammer other than Jon Harrop.
From: Jon Harrop
Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On 2009-03-08, Jon Harrop <···@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
>> 3) The Lisp community welcome spam because they rely upon it to boost
>> usenet traffic when comparing the popularity of Lisp to other programming
>> languages.
>
> Jonny, you response is trollish (as usual) and completely useless and
> unhelpful
> (ditto).  The spam experienced by Gianfranco is a consequence of using
> Google
> Groups.  Most of it orginates within Google Groups itself, and is
> uniformly the same no matter which newsgroup you select for reading via
> Google Groups.

That cannot be true: I see a huge amount of spam only in comp.lang.lisp and
I am not using Google Groups.

> Exercise: name one Lisp-targetted spammer other than Jon Harrop.

www.iofferkicks.com
grain dryer
interesting article
nike shoes
··············@126.com

All spammed comp.lang.lisp and none of the other groups I subscribe to in
the past 24 hours.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?u
From: Mark Wooding
Gianfranco <·················@gmail.com> writes:

> Given the amount of crap postings in this LISP group i must believe
> one of the following
>
> 1) Is there no spam filter for this group; or else all messages of
> buying inc, drugs and related spam would not be here

Unmoderated groups don't have specific spam filters.  However, there are
people out there who provide `feeds' which identify spam messages.  The
system is called `NoCeM' (pronounced `no see 'em').  Feeds are
transmitted over Usenet itself, in groups like alt.nocem.misc, or
news.lists.filters.  The feeds are PGP-signed to prevent forgery.

Since my local news admin (err, that'd be me) started accepting these
groups and acting on them, I've noticed a very marked reduction in the
amount of spam I see.

You should either switch to a news client which can process NoCeM
messages, or to a news server which filters its news spool.

> Either way; this group is great, and I enjoy reading your LISP
> discussions, but it's getting tiresome with all the SPAM.

The whole of Usenet is covered with spam about watches and drugs; it's
not just comp.lang.lisp.  Fortunately, if you have a decent news feed or
client, you won't have to put up with the spam.

-- [mdw]
From: Thomas A. Russ
Gianfranco <·················@gmail.com> writes:

> If it's 1) then who is responsible for this group, and can this person
> please activate a filter?

There is a fundamental misconception going on here.

In the nature of unmoderated newsgroups, there is nobody who is
responsible for this group.  It is an open forum, and therefore anyone
can post any article about anything.

Off topic posts are disouraged by ettiquette, but obviously in the case
of spammers, that approach doesn't work.

So, you will have to see to your own spam filtering.