From: HalfEmpty
Subject: Search symbol definition in emacs/slime
Is there an emacs/slime utility that allow me to find in which file
(and line) a symbol is
defined or used?

Currently, I just have my own script that does the trick, but it's
rather primitive.

From: Joshua Taylor
Subject: Re: Search symbol definition in emacs/slime
On Mar 2, 9:04 pm, HalfEmpty <··············@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there an emacs/slime utility that allow me to find in which file
> (and line) a symbol is
> defined or used?
>
> Currently, I just have my own script that does the trick, but it's
> rather primitive.

From the SLIME Manual:

3.5 Finding definitions (“Meta-Point” commands).
http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/Finding-definitions.html#Finding-definitions

includes

slime-edit-definition
    Go to the definition of the symbol at point.
slime-pop-find-definition-stack
    This gives multi-level backtracking when M-.
    has been used several times.
slime-edit-definition-other-window
    Like slime-edit-definition but switches
    to the other window to edit the definition in.
slime-edit-definition-other-frame
    Like slime-edit-definition but opens another
    frame to edit the definition in.
slime-edit-definition-with-etags
    Use an ETAGS table to find definition at point.

3.7 Cross-reference commands
http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/Cross_002dreference.html#Cross_002dreference

includes

slime-who-calls
    Show function callers.
slime-calls-who
    Show all known callees.
slime-who-references
    Show references to global variable.
slime-who-binds
    Show bindings of a global variable.
slime-who-sets
    Show assignments to a global variable.
slime-who-macroexpands
    Show expansions of a macro.
slime-who-specializes
    Show all known methods specialized on a class.
From: HalfEmpty
Thanks Joshua.

I feel rather stupid that I didn't even try to look into the slime
manual.
From: Thomas A. Russ
HalfEmpty <··············@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there an emacs/slime utility that allow me to find in which file
> (and line) a symbol is
> defined or used?

Generally, if it is available, this function gets bound to
M-. (Meta-period)