From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: Axiom or Maxima?
On Jun 30, 12:03 am, Francogrex <······@grex.org> wrote:

> OpenAxiom and Maxima;

Axiom and Maxima differ rather widely in spirit:
Axiom is careful about types and Maxima is not.

From what I can tell, Maxima's happy-go-lucky attitude
makes it simpler for users, but more troublesome for
developers.

> Wolfram's Mathematica?

Mathematica is closer to Maxima in spirit.
However it has the benefit of a large group of paid
developers, so my guess is that it has fewer stupid
bugs, and it certainly has more features.

I think you mentioned elsewhere that you are thinking
of working on statistics. My 0.02 $US is that types won't
be very important, so probably Maxima is suitable.
Just a guess.

Robert Dodier