From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Franz Lisp
Does anyone know if it's possible to get one's hands on a copy of
Franz Lisp? Ray Toy's question about strings got me wondering about
their implementation in this old dialect. Any of the manuals, the
source, and/or an executable version would be interesting, although
I'd be especially interested in the latter.

Anyone have any pointers? (*cough* *cough* ... anyone from Franz, for
example?)

From: Robert Swindells
Subject: Re: Franz Lisp

<http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/index.html#Franz_Lisp_>

<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/others/franzlsp/0.html>
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Jun 26, 9:16 pm, Robert Swindells <····@fdy2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> "Thomas F. Burdick" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if it's possible to get one's hands on a copy of
> >Franz Lisp? Ray Toy's question about strings got me wondering about
> >their implementation in this old dialect. Any of the manuals, the
> >source, and/or an executable version would be interesting, although
> >I'd be especially interested in the latter.
>
> >Anyone have any pointers? (*cough* *cough* ... anyone from Franz, for
> >example?)
>
> <http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/index.html#Franz_Lisp_>
>
> <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/others/fra...>

Shoot, I was hoping someone might have something more recent. Looks
like there's a NetBSD installation in my future...
From: Robert Swindells
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 02:46:40 -0700, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

> On Jun 26, 9:16 pm, Robert Swindells <····@fdy2.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> "Thomas F. Burdick" <········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know if it's possible to get one's hands on a copy of
>> >Franz Lisp? Ray Toy's question about strings got me wondering about
>> >their implementation in this old dialect. Any of the manuals, the
>> >source, and/or an executable version would be interesting, although
>> >I'd be especially interested in the latter.
>>
>> >Anyone have any pointers? (*cough* *cough* ... anyone from Franz, for
>> >example?)
>>
>> <http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/
index.html#Franz_Lisp_>

>> <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/others/
fra...>

> Shoot, I was hoping someone might have something more recent. Looks like
> there's a NetBSD installation in my future...

The 386 variant ran under NetBSD before it switched from a.out to ELF, it
would require a fair bit of work to get Franz to build under a more modern
OS. You might be able to chroot NetBSD-1.0 on NetBSD-5.0 to build Franz
then run the executables directly on NetBSD-5.0.

You could also try doing a VAX build in SIMH or a 68k build on a Mac.

I did Franz Lisp ports myself and did a fair bit of low level hacking on
it, what do you want to know ?

Robert Swindells