From: Adlai
Subject: Slimy troubles
I recently got a new computer, and am running Linux for the first
time. I tried to take this opportunity to set up Emacs, SLIME, etc on
my own (on my previous computer with Windows XP, I was running Lispbox
with ACL 8.1 Express).

Just now was the first time that I worked with my SLIME setup on this
new computer (after religiously following the instructions in the
SLIME manual on how to get the latest "fairly_stable" release from
cvs), and I noticed that one of the commands was missing: C-c M-q used
to recheck the indentation of the sexp, and also add missing parens at
the end. However, the keychord was unbound, and when I clicked the
command in the SLIME menu, I got an error that the command was
undefined.

I tried flushing all the SLIME out of my system and getting it again
(again, with the instructions from the manual). However, the same
problems persisted. I also tried running test-all.sh (a script that
came with the rest of the SLIME files), and it gave a bunch of errors:

testing: xemacs cmucl -noinit dribble.cmucl -noinit result.cmucl -
noinit
./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
testing: xemacs sbcl dribble.sbcl result.sbcl
./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
testing: xemacs lispworks-personal-4300 dribble.lispworks-
personal-4300 result.lispworks-personal-4300
./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
testing: xemacs clisp -K full dribble.clisp -K full result.clisp -K
full
./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
testing: xemacs acl5 dribble.acl5 result.acl5
./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found

A few things there are a bit worrying -- it's only checking XEmacs
(I'm using GNU Emacs 22.2.1, on 64-bit Ubuntu if that has any
significance), the file test.sh IS in the SLIME directory, and the
Lisp which I installed (same as I had before -- ACL 8.1 Express) is
not in the list of implementations.

What am I doing horribly wrong?

From: Adlai
Subject: Re: Slimy troubles
On Jun 17, 8:50 am, Adlai <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently got a new computer, and am running Linux for the first
> time. I tried to take this opportunity to set up Emacs, SLIME, etc on
> my own (on my previous computer with Windows XP, I was running Lispbox
> with ACL 8.1 Express).
>
> Just now was the first time that I worked with my SLIME setup on this
> new computer (after religiously following the instructions in the
> SLIME manual on how to get the latest "fairly_stable" release from
> cvs), and I noticed that one of the commands was missing: C-c M-q used
> to recheck the indentation of the sexp, and also add missing parens at
> the end. However, the keychord was unbound, and when I clicked the
> command in the SLIME menu, I got an error that the command was
> undefined.
>
> I tried flushing all the SLIME out of my system and getting it again
> (again, with the instructions from the manual). However, the same
> problems persisted. I also tried running test-all.sh (a script that
> came with the rest of the SLIME files), and it gave a bunch of errors:
>
> testing: xemacs cmucl -noinit dribble.cmucl -noinit result.cmucl -
> noinit
> ./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
> testing: xemacs sbcl dribble.sbcl result.sbcl
> ./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
> testing: xemacs lispworks-personal-4300 dribble.lispworks-
> personal-4300 result.lispworks-personal-4300
> ./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
> testing: xemacs clisp -K full dribble.clisp -K full result.clisp -K
> full
> ./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
> testing: xemacs acl5 dribble.acl5 result.acl5
> ./test-all.sh: 13: test.sh: not found
>
> A few things there are a bit worrying -- it's only checking XEmacs
> (I'm using GNU Emacs 22.2.1, on 64-bit Ubuntu if that has any
> significance), the file test.sh IS in the SLIME directory, and the
> Lisp which I installed (same as I had before -- ACL 8.1 Express) is
> not in the list of implementations.
>
> What am I doing horribly wrong?

PART II:

Now (after I got Slime again from cvs, as described in my original
message) the REPL won't even load properly! M-x slime RET gives a huge
bunch of errors, the "LASTCDR" of which is:
Warning: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:

         (ACTIVATE-STEPPING ADD-FD-HANDLER ADD-SIGIO-HANDLER
                            PROFILE-PACKAGE REMOVE-FD-HANDLERS
                            REMOVE-SIGIO-HANDLERS SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN
                            SLDB-STEP-INTO SLDB-STEP-NEXT SLDB-STEP-
OUT
                            WHO-SPECIALIZES)
Error: Symbol "INIT" not found in the SWANK-LOADER package. [file
       position = 17]
  [condition type: READER-ERROR]

Restart actions (select using :continue):
 0: Return to Top Level (an "abort" restart).
 1: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
[1] CL-USER(2):

It seems as though I just tried to get SLIME from the wrong place and
ended up with some buggy old version. This is where I tried to get it
(from my shell history):
  508  export ··························@common-lisp.net:/project/
slime/cvsroot
  509  echo $CVSROOT
  510  cvs login
  511  cvs checkout -rFAIRLY-STABLE slime

Those were the instructions in the SLIME Manual... What am I doing
wrong?
From: Zach Beane
Adlai <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> It seems as though I just tried to get SLIME from the wrong place and
> ended up with some buggy old version. This is where I tried to get it
> (from my shell history):
>   508  export ··························@common-lisp.net:/project/
> slime/cvsroot
>   509  echo $CVSROOT
>   510  cvs login
>   511  cvs checkout -rFAIRLY-STABLE slime
>
> Those were the instructions in the SLIME Manual... What am I doing
> wrong?

I don't think the fairly-stable tag has been moved for a very long
time. It's better to get the HEAD from CVS.

You may still have problems, but the slime-devel mailing list is more
likely to get you help than comp.lang.lisp.

Zach