From: Kenneth Tilton
Subject: OT: So what do I do with these three beautiful...
Apple 20" CRT Monitors that used to cost $1000? Take them to the dump?
That would be perversely satisfying, but feels wrong.

kt

From: ACL
Subject: Re: OT: So what do I do with these three beautiful...
On Jun 15, 12:31 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apple 20" CRT Monitors that used to cost $1000? Take them to the dump?
> That would be perversely satisfying, but feels wrong.
>
> kt

Give them to a school?

If you have the boxes that go along with them, you could donate those
too.

Schools rarely reject free stuff.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
ACL <··················@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 15, 12:31�pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apple 20" CRT Monitors that used to cost $1000? Take them to the dump?
>> That would be perversely satisfying, but feels wrong.
>>
>> kt
>
> Give them to a school?
>
> If you have the boxes that go along with them, you could donate those
> too.
>
> Schools rarely reject free stuff.

Dump them!  A cheap $60 LCD monitor will have better resolution, give
less eye strain, and consume one tenth the power of that old CRT!  The
ROI will come in less than a month.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Alex Mizrahi
 PJB> Dump them!  A cheap $60 LCD monitor will have better resolution, give
 PJB> less eye strain, and consume one tenth the power of that old CRT!  The
 PJB> ROI will come in less than a month.

LCD monitors suck balls.

i've switched from old 17" CRT to 22" LCD (TFT) ($400, not $60, mind you),
and I considered
it a downgrade, because CRT makes far more smooth and natural image. on LCD
you see
pixels, and it is irritating.
From: Kenneth Tilton
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
>  PJB> Dump them!  A cheap $60 LCD monitor will have better resolution, give
>  PJB> less eye strain, and consume one tenth the power of that old CRT!  The
>  PJB> ROI will come in less than a month.
>
> LCD monitors suck balls.
>
> i've switched from old 17" CRT to 22" LCD (TFT) ($400, not $60, mind you),
> and I considered
> it a downgrade, because CRT makes far more smooth and natural image. on LCD
> you see
> pixels, and it is irritating.

Anyway, ebay seems to have them for $150 shipping included. That sounds
like there is not much value in the beasts. maybe I'll keep one just in
case.

kt
From: Adlai
On Jun 15, 7:31 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apple 20" CRT Monitors that used to cost $1000? Take them to the dump?
> That would be perversely satisfying, but feels wrong.
>
> kt

Keep them, and eventually donate them to the Museum of Technology at
New New Hampshire, for Eric Cartman to play his Wii on...

On a serious note -- assuming that you can't sell them for more than a
small fraction of what they were originally worth, I'd say keep them
or donate them. Maybe sell them to somebody who likes CRT technology
more than LCD...

 -  Adlai
From: Paul Wallich
Kenneth Tilton wrote:
> Apple 20" CRT Monitors that used to cost $1000? Take them to the dump?
> That would be perversely satisfying, but feels wrong.

If they're the ones with the stupid combined power and data connectors,
it will cost anyone who doesn't have an obsolete mac (or obsolete mac
video card) $99 plus shipping to use them.

paul  sometimes free can be really expensive
From: K Livingston
On Jun 15, 11:31 am, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apple 20" CRT Monitors that used to cost $1000? Take them to the dump?
> That would be perversely satisfying, but feels wrong.
>
> kt

If you can't find a worth cause/home, I hope by "dump" you meant
"properly licensed recycling center", right?

In many places it's actually illegal to put stuff like that in the
trash now, too.

You live in NY City right?  check out here:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/html/recycling/electronicsrecycling.shtml

(http://www.google.com/search?q=computer+recycling+site:nyc.gov)

But, if you were going to dump them I would think tossing them off a
bridge into the Hudson would be far more satisfying than the dump
anyway?  Or let Letterman throw them off the roof?  (He needs a good
for the ratings stunt after letting Palin get away with walking all
over him.)

Kevin
From: Kenneth Tilton
K Livingston wrote:
> On Jun 15, 11:31 am, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apple 20" CRT Monitors that used to cost $1000? Take them to the dump?
>> That would be perversely satisfying, but feels wrong.
>>
>> kt
>

> If you can't find a worth cause/home, I hope by "dump" you meant
> "properly licensed recycling center", right?

Are we feeling allpreachy and self-righteous today?

> In many places it's actually illegal to put stuff like that in the
> trash now, too.
>
> You live in NY City right?  check out here:
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/html/recycling/electronicsrecycling.shtml
>
> (http://www.google.com/search?q=computer+recycling+site:nyc.gov)
>

> But, if you were going to dump them I would think tossing them off a
> bridge into the Hudson would be far more satisfying than the dump
> anyway?

Toss? One does not toss a ninety-pound handle-less four-foot blob, one
wrestles it.

> Or let Letterman throw them off the roof?  (He needs a good
> for the ratings stunt after letting Palin get away with walking all
> over him.)

Yes, I am sure he feels terrible about all the controversy and that
everyone is talking about his show during the initial ratings battle
with Conan.

And I agree he is fool for making his last word be high road admission
of fault (people hate that) while leaving Palin's posturing assinity as
her last impression which will work well for her in future campaigns.

Now if you'll excuse me Letterman comes on in 5 min....

kt
From: K Livingston
On Jun 15, 10:29 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are we feeling allpreachy and self-righteous today?

but the view is so nice way up here on this horse.

> Toss? One does not toss a ninety-pound handle-less four-foot blob, one
> wrestles it.

might not want to give it to a school, might accidentally crush
someone's kid.  have you tried craigslist, it's amazing what people
will come take.  I have friends that post what is undeniably garbage,
and...

> > Or let Letterman throw them off the roof?  (He needs a good
> > for the ratings stunt after letting Palin get away with walking all
> > over him.)
>
> Yes, I am sure he feels terrible about all the controversy and that
> everyone is talking about his show during the initial ratings battle
> with Conan.
>
> And I agree he is fool for making his last word be high road admission
> of fault (people hate that) while leaving Palin's posturing assinity as
> her last impression which will work well for her in future campaigns.
>
> Now if you'll excuse me Letterman comes on in 5 min....

sure, the high road is better.  (especially when you are on a high-
horse, then the view is really good)  but, for Dave, I was more
thinking the nil road.  didn't strike me as something that even needed
attention.  But, I wasn't thinking about Conan, although it's not he's
doing much to gain an audience right now.  maybe Dave can use your
monitors to catapult off the roof to defend against the "mob" forming
to protest him (most of whom are coming out of state).  I'd say if he
could only get 100 out of state-ers riled up, they probably will fire
him, he's not getting *enough* people paying attention.

Kevin
From: ACL
On Jun 15, 11:29 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> K Livingston wrote:
> > On Jun 15, 11:31 am, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Apple 20" CRT Monitors that used to cost $1000? Take them to the dump?
> >> That would be perversely satisfying, but feels wrong.
>
> >> kt
>
> > If you can't find a worth cause/home, I hope by "dump" you meant
> > "properly licensed recycling center", right?
>
> Are we feeling allpreachy and self-righteous today?

"Recycling considered preachy, self-righteous!"

Yes, those are the first things that spring to mind when recycling is
mentioned!

Can't agree more!
From: Kenneth Tilton
ACL wrote:
> On Jun 15, 11:29 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> K Livingston wrote:
>>> If you can't find a worth cause/home, I hope by "dump" you meant
>>> "properly licensed recycling center", right?
>> Are we feeling allpreachy and self-righteous today?
>>

> "Recycling considered preachy, self-righteous!"
>
> Yes, those are the first things that spring to mind when recycling is
> mentioned!
>
> Can't agree more!

Thx, bro. Can you believe these treehuggers?

kt
From: ACL
On Jun 16, 10:48 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> ACL wrote:
> >> Are we feeling allpreachy and self-righteous today?
>
> > "Recycling considered preachy, self-righteous!"
>
> > Yes, those are the first things that spring to mind when recycling is
> > mentioned!
>
> > Can't agree more!
>
> Thx, bro. Can you believe these treehuggers?
>
> kt

No I can't, its far worse than tree hugging!

They want you to hug oil and natural gas and coal and silicon too...
I can almost understand tree hugging as the trees are at least alive.
But that other stuff is either dead for a long time or was never alive
at all.

Gross.
From: Dr. Brian Leverich
On 2009-06-17, ACL <··················@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 11:29�pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> K Livingston wrote:

>> > If you can't find a worth cause/home, I hope by "dump" you meant
>> > "properly licensed recycling center", right?
>>
>> Are we feeling allpreachy and self-righteous today?
>>

> "Recycling considered preachy, self-righteous!"
>
> Yes, those are the first things that spring to mind when recycling is
> mentioned!
>
> Can't agree more!

"Poster considered stupid, obnoxious!"

Yes, those are the first things that spring to mind when someone
complains about recycling!

Cheers, B.