From: ccc31807
Subject: Nick Levine's O'Reilly book on Lisp
Does anyone have any more information on this project other than that
printed below?
http://lisp-book.org/
Any idea of the date of publication?

I'm writing a book about Lisp and O'Reilly is going to publish it.

The aim is to show people who suspected that Lisp was dead because it
couldn't look outside the box, along with those who hoped it could but
didn't know how, that the going isn't all that hard. Although the book
will introduce Common Lisp from scratch and give generous treatment to
those features which make the language great, it isn't going to cover
the whole thing or anything like it. I want to make Lisp look easy and
steer the novice away from the more complex edge cases.

The core of the book will be a number of in-depth examples which
between them will thoroughly address the use of libraries whether or
not these were written in Lisp. It'll also go into common, important
utilities for dealing with persistence, threading, GUIs, system
building and more. Examples will include: an end-user desktop
application, a webserver, and an introduction to getting Lisp working
on a mobile phone.

From: ACL
Subject: Re: Nick Levine's O'Reilly book on Lisp
On Jul 21, 4:41 pm, ccc31807 <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any more information on this project other than that
> printed below?http://lisp-book.org/
> Any idea of the date of publication?

> I'm writing a book about Lisp and O'Reilly is going to publish it.
>
> The aim is to show people who suspected that Lisp was dead because it
> couldn't look outside the box, along with those who hoped it could but
> didn't know how, that the going isn't all that hard. Although the book
> will introduce Common Lisp from scratch and give generous treatment to
> those features which make the language great, it isn't going to cover
> the whole thing or anything like it. I want to make Lisp look easy and
> steer the novice away from the more complex edge cases.
>
> The core of the book will be a number of in-depth examples which
> between them will thoroughly address the use of libraries whether or
> not these were written in Lisp. It'll also go into common, important
> utilities for dealing with persistence, threading, GUIs, system
> building and more. Examples will include: an end-user desktop
> application, a webserver, and an introduction to getting Lisp working
> on a mobile phone.

 I've heard that lisp is dead but I've also been told that I can't
look outside the box.

Honestly I'd like to see one of those really thick O'Reilly books
about lisp, you know, like a comprehensive tome. One that doesn't just
cover the language but also a lot of the libraries.

I hope that this book is like that. Does O'Reilly do ebooks?
From: A.L.
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:41:13 -0700 (PDT), ccc31807
<········@gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any more information on this project other than that
>printed below?
>http://lisp-book.org/
>Any idea of the date of publication?

Ask the author?...