From: Xah Lee
Subject: collection of Erik Naggum's writings?
I'm thinking that there should be a archive of all Erik's writings, at
least all his newsgroup writings.

in a sense it is all in newsgroup archives, but am thinking perhaps
someone would collect them so it's easier to access?

Also, erik's own website
http://naggum.no/

am not sure how much info he has on his website. (have browsed it over
the years, it appears to me not many, but anyway.)

i'm hoping, perhaps someone, or perhaps his family, friends, would
want to do this, of collecting all his writings in one place?

my guess is that Erik probably have merticulously saved all his
postings himself. My guess is that he wouldn't mind to share them. At
least, it shouldn't be a problem to republish all his public postings
in one place.

i don't know who's Erik's legal benefactor that inherits all his
belongs...  don't know if this person knows about computing. If not, i
could help out to kinda sort them or put them online, and am sure many
Erik's friends would be willing to help on this.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

From: Ron Garret
Subject: Re: collection of Erik Naggum's writings?
In article
<····································@l35g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
 Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 12:18 pm, Marek Kubica <·····@xivilization.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 07:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> > Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > my guess is that Erik probably have merticulously saved all his
> > > postings himself. My guess is that he wouldn't mind to share them. At
> > > least, it shouldn't be a problem to republish all his public postings
> > > in one place.
> >
> > Google Groups has a record of his posts, how about this?
>
> google group search function is pretty broken since about this year or
> last year.

http://rondam.blogspot.com/2009/07/plea-to-powers-that-be-at-google.html

rg
From: Marek Kubica
Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> my guess is that Erik probably have merticulously saved all his
> postings himself. My guess is that he wouldn't mind to share them. At
> least, it shouldn't be a problem to republish all his public postings
> in one place.

Google Groups has a record of his posts, how about this?

regards,
Marek
From: Xah Lee
On Jul 9, 12:18 pm, Marek Kubica <·····@xivilization.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 07:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> > my guess is that Erik probably have merticulously saved all his
> > postings himself. My guess is that he wouldn't mind to share them. At
> > least, it shouldn't be a problem to republish all his public postings
> > in one place.
>
> Google Groups has a record of his posts, how about this?

google group search function is pretty broken since about this year or
last year.

if you search Erik Naggum, or by 2 of his widely known email
variations, or any parameter in google search, and save all result
pages, i'd guess less than 50% of his posts turns up.

asides from missing posts or the problem of finding them, it is also
inconvenient to use.

it'd be better if there's a website that collects all his writings.
e.g. many socially important people has such website, e.g. people done
that for Edsger Dijkstra, Bertrand Russell, Emily Dickinson... etc.
Erik may not have such status, but still, am guessing many people in
the lisp community would like to see his collected rants. I certainly
would.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

From: Ron Garret
In article
<····································@y4g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

From: William F Hammond
Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm thinking that there should be a archive of all Erik's writings, at
> least all his newsgroup writings.
>
> in a sense it is all in newsgroup archives, but am thinking perhaps
> someone would collect them so it's easier to access?

Yes, I agree that this would be a good thing.

                                    -- Bill
From: Nicolas Neuss
Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm thinking that there should be a archive of all Erik's writings, at
> least all his newsgroup writings.
>
> in a sense it is all in newsgroup archives, but am thinking perhaps
> someone would collect them so it's easier to access?

Hi,

I just learned (in a mail of Franz' tech corner) that Zach Beane has
collected a lot of them:

http://xach.livejournal.com/221433.html

Thanks, Zach!  I'll think I'll (re)read one a day.

(Today, it was <http://www.well.com/user/nocebo/> which I didn't know.
Very nice.)

Nicolas
From: Xah Lee
On Jul 16, 1:21 am, Nicolas Neuss <········@math.uni-karlsruhe.de>
wrote:
> Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm thinking that there should be a archive of all Erik's writings, at
> > least all his newsgroup writings.
>
> > in a sense it is all in newsgroup archives, but am thinking perhaps
> > someone would collect them so it's easier to access?
>
> Hi,
>
> I just learned (in a mail of Franz' tech corner) that Zach Beane has
> collected a lot of them:
>
> http://xach.livejournal.com/221433.html
>
> Thanks, Zach!  I'll think I'll (re)read one a day.
>
> (Today, it was <http://www.well.com/user/nocebo/> which I didn't know.
> Very nice.)
>
> Nicolas

Zach's site collects less than 100 of Erik's posts. They are less that
0.1% of Erik's public posts. Zach's collection is great for a glimps
of some of Erik's better tech rants.

I'm hoping this thread gets passed around to those close to Erik.

For those of you who are really interested to see such comprehensive
collection, perhaps it should be made known publically. Here, or on
your blog etc.

Also, am pretty sure some old timer must have archived the entire
comp.lang.lisp during the time he's reading. Perhaps such person would
have a interest to make it public? With that, it's then very easy to
filter and form a collection of all Erik's posts, at least for
comp.lang.lisp. (if you know such person candidate, please let them
know about this)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: fft1976
I dunno. It may be a matter of taste, but I'd rather see a collection
of Lee's rants (translated into modern English, of course). He is more
edgy. Nagum's rants were too long and unoriginal. Who's got time to
read that? Also, it's better to create these rant collections, while
someone is still alive, so they can make revisions and add comments.
What do you think, Xa?

Btw, did RMS write anything on the occasion of Erik's death? I can't
find it. I hear Emacs would be crap if it weren't for Erik patches.
From: Miles Bader
fft1976 <·······@gmail.com> writes:
> I hear Emacs would be crap if it weren't for Erik patches.

That's silly.  Erik made very few actual changes to Emacs -- basically
in the noise.

His most valuable contribution was probably complaining a lot.

I'm quite serious about that -- he did a lot of complaining about Emacs
over the years, and while a lot of his complaints were stupid (and at
worst, stupid, racist, and downright conspiracy-freakish), his pushing
for things like making the multi-byte encoding of buffers relatively
opaque was a good thing, and helped make Emacs better.

-Miles

--
Neighbor, n. One whom we are commanded to love as ourselves, and who does all
he knows how to make us disobedient.
From: fft1976
On Jul 17, 2:23 am, Miles Bader <·····@gnu.org> wrote:
> fft1976 <·······@gmail.com> writes:
> > I hear Emacs would be crap if it weren't for Erik patches.
>
> That's silly.  Erik made very few actual changes to Emacs -- basically
> in the noise.
>
> His most valuable contribution was probably complaining a lot.
>
> I'm quite serious about that -- he did a lot of complaining about Emacs
> over the years, and while a lot of his complaints were stupid (and at
> worst, stupid, racist, and downright conspiracy-freakish), his

I didn't realize that about him. Got a link with that?

Isn't it anti-racist to want support for non-ASCII characters?

From: David Kastrup
fft1976 <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jul 17, 2:23�am, Miles Bader <·····@gnu.org> wrote:
>> fft1976 <·······@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I hear Emacs would be crap if it weren't for Erik patches.
>>
>> That's silly. �Erik made very few actual changes to Emacs -- basically
>> in the noise.
>>
>> His most valuable contribution was probably complaining a lot.
>>
>> I'm quite serious about that -- he did a lot of complaining about Emacs
>> over the years, and while a lot of his complaints were stupid (and at
>> worst, stupid, racist, and downright conspiracy-freakish), his
>
> I didn't realize that about him. Got a link with that?
>
> Isn't it anti-racist to want support for non-ASCII characters?

Norwegians are a diacritic race (to use your terminology).  So it was
merely selfish.

--
David Kastrup
From: fft1976
On Jul 18, 9:13 am, David Kastrup <····@gnu.org> wrote:
> fft1976 <·······@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> That's silly.  Erik made very few actual changes to Emacs -- basically
> >> in the noise.
>
> >> His most valuable contribution was probably complaining a lot.
>
> >> I'm quite serious about that -- he did a lot of complaining about Emacs
> >> over the years, and while a lot of his complaints were stupid (and at
> >> worst, stupid, racist, and downright conspiracy-freakish), his
>
> > I didn't realize that about him. Got a link with that?
>
> > Isn't it anti-racist to want support for non-ASCII characters?
>
> Norwegians are a diacritic race (to use your terminology).  So it was
> merely selfish.

I'm not the one who pointed out Erik's racism.
From: Zach Beane
Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jul 16, 1:21 am, Nicolas Neuss <········@math.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> wrote:
>> Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I'm thinking that there should be a archive of all Erik's writings, at
>> > least all his newsgroup writings.
>>
>> > in a sense it is all in newsgroup archives, but am thinking perhaps
>> > someone would collect them so it's easier to access?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just learned (in a mail of Franz' tech corner) that Zach Beane has
>> collected a lot of them:
>>
>> http://xach.livejournal.com/221433.html
>>
>> Thanks, Zach!  I'll think I'll (re)read one a day.
>>
>> (Today, it was <http://www.well.com/user/nocebo/> which I didn't know.
>> Very nice.)
>>
>> Nicolas
>
> Zach's site collects less than 100 of Erik's posts. They are less that
> 0.1% of Erik's public posts. Zach's collection is great for a glimps
> of some of Erik's better tech rants.

Thanks. I realize that it is a very small subset of Erik's output. I
used my delicious.com bookmark list to put it together.

Since that post, I have gone back and tried to find more interesting
articles to bookmark. You can see some of them by going here:

  http://delicious.com/xach/naggum

The list is growing daily.

Google Groups search is often broken, and who knows what its future as a
service holds. I would like to not only find links to Google Groups
articles, but keep a local archive as well. I haven't done that yet,
though.

Zach
From: Nicolas Neuss
Xah Lee <······@gmail.com> writes:

> Zach's site collects less than 100 of Erik's posts. They are less that
> 0.1% of Erik's public posts. Zach's collection is great for a glimps
> of some of Erik's better tech rants.

Sorry for writing "a lot of Erik's posts".  I noticed this mistake after I
sent my post.  (Nevertheless, I think that Zach's collection could be a
good start.)

> I'm hoping this thread gets passed around to those close to Erik.
>
> For those of you who are really interested to see such comprehensive
> collection, perhaps it should be made known publically. Here, or on
> your blog etc.
>
> Also, am pretty sure some old timer must have archived the entire
> comp.lang.lisp during the time he's reading. Perhaps such person would
> have a interest to make it public?

That would be wonderful, but I am not sure if such a person exists.  I
myself have archived what interested me (including all of Erik's posts)
since the second half of 2000.  However, for completeness, it would be
better to have really all the posts, even those who got their value only by
Erik or someone else responding cleverly to them.

> With that, it's then very easy to filter and form a collection of all
> Erik's posts, at least for comp.lang.lisp. (if you know such person
> candidate, please let them know about this)

Maybe Kent Pitman?  Or Franz Inc.?

Nicolas
From: netsettler
On Jul 17, 3:36 am, Nicolas Neuss <········@math.uni-karlsruhe.de>
wrote:
> > With that, it's then very easy to filter and form a collection of all
> > Erik's posts, at least for comp.lang.lisp. (if you know such person
> > candidate, please let them know about this)
>
> Maybe Kent Pitman?  Or Franz Inc.?

I've assumed that proper historical record-keeping is already being
done by organizations that maintain and sell usenet archives and/or by
Google.  I don't maintain a history of the Lisp newsgroup.  It's one
reason I post to this group, in fact; the knowledge that it won't fill
my disk.

And I thought the whole point of such public records is that they
already have good filtering tools, such as:
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=
For example, one might do:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=group%3Acomp.lang.lisp+author%3A%22Erik+Naggum%22&sitesearch=

I have personal interchanges with Erik, one or two of which I might
publish at some point.  (The one I've identified so far that is the
most likely candidate is not Lisp-related, incidentally.  It's a
discussion of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.)