From: Elvis
Subject: Using GTK or LTK to develop GUIs and OpenGL
Hi everybody,

I am working with OpenGL and Common Lisp. The software for my
internship has to write in Common Lisp and has a GUIs. Ok, McCLIM
doesn't support 3D space, so i have to use OpenGL. Which open source
should i choose now?

- To GUIs, using GTK+ or LTK, which one is better?
- To draw in 3D space, using OpenGL. Which one above supports OpenGL?
And how to bind it in Common Lisp?

Specially, the graph in Bio is very big and big.

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: Re: Using GTK or LTK to develop GUIs and OpenGL
Elvis <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> - To GUIs, using GTK+ or LTK, which one is better?

gtk+ is better than Tk, however I don't know if cells-gtk or clg is
better than LTK.  That is, while one toolkit may be better than another,
it's not a given that the bindings for that toolkit are better than for
the other.

> - To draw in 3D space, using OpenGL. Which one above supports OpenGL?
> And how to bind it in Common Lisp?

gtk+ has an OpenGL extension <http://gtkglext.sourceforge.net/>; Tk has
a similar one <http://togl.sourceforge.net/>.  You'd need to develop a
binding for each, which shouldn't be too difficult.

There is a Lisp OpenGL binding CL-OPENGL
<http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-opengl/>; it appears to be actively
developed and looks fairly pleasant to work with.

And it appears that if _all_ you need to do is do OpenGL stuff, then you
can use CL-OPENGL's GLUT bindings and not worry about gtk+ or Tk.

> Specially, the graph in Bio is very big and big.

?  Are you creating an interface for biology, with phyla and kingdoms
and so forth?

Interestingly, most Unix utilities have a command line option which will
cause the system to rip the user's legs off and beat them to death with
the soggy ends.  This is often the default behaviour.    --Bruce Murphy
From: Kenneth Tilton
Elvis wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am working with OpenGL and Common Lisp. The software for my
> internship has to write in Common Lisp and has a GUIs. Ok, McCLIM
> doesn't support 3D space, so i have to use OpenGL. Which open source
> should i choose now?
>
> - To GUIs, using GTK+ or LTK, which one is better?
> - To draw in 3D space, using OpenGL. Which one above supports OpenGL?
> And how to bind it in Common Lisp?
>
> Specially, the graph in Bio is very big and big.

cells-gtk has an OpenGL widget, as does Celtk and Cello. The latter,
two, howeve, are not really supported. You can try on the Cells mailing
list to see if Frank G's cleaned-up Cello is available.

The problem with LTk is that it works over a socket so (a) you cannot
call OpenGL directly from Lisp and that means (b) all your OpenGl has to
be sent in tcl-ese over the socket. Might be too slow. If not, you would
just have to add a Togl widget to Ltk and I am sure the LTk people would
help.

kt