From: comp.lang.scheme
Subject: SBCL -- Kitten Message -- help needed
Hi,
I am using SBCL to drive the plotit graphic package for LaTeX under
Windows. SBCL seems to compile flawlessly  all programs I tried,
except for one single thing. No matter what I do, it prints the Kitten
message.

This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use
at your own risk.  "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"

Since plotit inserts everything Lisp prints into the LaTeX text, the
message appears everytime it calls sbcl to interpret the LaTeX Lisp
macros. By the way, the option  --noinform supresses the banner, but
not the Kitten message. What can I do in order to supress the message?

I really need to use the SBCL for speed. Both CLISP and GNU CL proved
to be much slower than SBCL. In any case, SBCL for Windows does not
seem so bug ridden that requires a strong warning with every running.

From: Tamas K Papp
Subject: Re: SBCL -- Kitten Message -- help needed
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:54:10 -0800, comp.lang.scheme wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using SBCL to drive the plotit graphic package for LaTeX under
> Windows. SBCL seems to compile flawlessly  all programs I tried, except
> for one single thing. No matter what I do, it prints the Kitten message.
>
> This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use at
> your own risk.  "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"
>
> Since plotit inserts everything Lisp prints into the LaTeX text, the
> message appears everytime it calls sbcl to interpret the LaTeX Lisp
> macros. By the way, the option  --noinform supresses the banner, but not
> the Kitten message. What can I do in order to supress the message?

I am not familiar with either plotit or the intricacies of Windows,
but could you just open a stream for your output and feed that to
plotit?  From the way you describe your problem it looks like you are
sending stdout to plotit, is that the only way to do it?

Tamas
From: comp.lang.scheme
On 28 fev, 13:51, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:54:10 -0800, comp.lang.scheme wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am using SBCL to drive the plotit graphic package for LaTeX under
> > Windows. SBCL seems to compile flawlessly  all programs I tried, except
> > for one single thing. No matter what I do, it prints the Kitten message.
>
> > This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use at
> > your own risk.  "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"
>
> > Since plotit inserts everything Lisp prints into the LaTeX text, the
> > message appears everytime it calls sbcl to interpret the LaTeX Lisp
> > macros. By the way, the option  --noinform supresses the banner, but not
> > the Kitten message. What can I do in order to supress the message?
>
> I am not familiar with either plotit or the intricacies of Windows,
> but could you just open a stream for your output and feed that to
> plotit?  From the way you describe your problem it looks like you are
> sending stdout to plotit, is that the only way to do it?
>
> Tamas

Thanks for your prompt answer. As far as I know, all  LaTeX macros
that dependes on external tools work by sending standout to
applications. I also believe that Windows has nothing to do with the
problem. The point is that SBCL people decided to add a warning
message to the Windows version banner. When one removes the banner,
the warning message remains, and is inserted into the LaTeX text. By
the way, the LaTeX macro works perfectly well with any other Common
Lisp (I tried CLISP and GNU LISP). It works with SBCL too; the problem
is that SBCL introduces the warning message into the text.  It would
be fine it SBCL people could remove the warning together with the
banner.

BTW, LaTeX macros are very complex from my point of view. I do not
understand how they work. To me it is like magic. I am afraid that I
would not be able to modify plotit, xymic, or any other LaTeX macros.
From: Tamas K Papp
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:08:25 -0800, comp.lang.scheme wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt answer. As far as I know, all  LaTeX macros that
> dependes on external tools work by sending standout to applications. I
> also believe that Windows has nothing to do with the problem. The point
> is that SBCL people decided to add a warning message to the Windows
> version banner. When one removes the banner, the warning message
> remains, and is inserted into the LaTeX text. By the way, the LaTeX
> macro works perfectly well with any other Common Lisp (I tried CLISP and
> GNU LISP). It works with SBCL too; the problem is that SBCL introduces
> the warning message into the text.  It would be fine it SBCL people
> could remove the warning together with the banner.

Maybe I don't understand your problem, but to me it seems that you are
printing stuff out, which gets to the plotting program via a pipe.
Something that could be implemented as

sbcl --eval "myprog.lisp" | plotting-program

In your sbcl program, you have expressions similar to

(format t "\\latex_command_foo{~a}" parameter)

and your problem is that SBCL emits something that you do not need.

Is this how you do it?

If you were using Unix/Linux, you could handle this by opening a pipe,
telling your plotting program to take its stdin from there, and then
using

(format *pipe* "\\latex_command_foo{~a}" parameter)

so you would not need to bother about the kitten message, that and
your output would go to separate places.

I admit that I don't know how to do this in Windows, or even if it is
possible, you should ask on the SBCL list, people there are friendly
and helpful.

> BTW, LaTeX macros are very complex from my point of view. I do not
> understand how they work. To me it is like magic. I am afraid that I
> would not be able to modify plotit, xymic, or any other LaTeX macros.

This is offtopic here, but the TeXbook helped me a lot when I was
learning about the fine details of (La)TeX.

Tamas
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
"comp.lang.scheme" <········@yahoo.ca> writes:

> Hi,
> I am using SBCL to drive the plotit graphic package for LaTeX under
> Windows. SBCL seems to compile flawlessly  all programs I tried,
> except for one single thing. No matter what I do, it prints the Kitten
> message.
>
> This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use
> at your own risk.  "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"
>
> Since plotit inserts everything Lisp prints into the LaTeX text, the
> message appears everytime it calls sbcl to interpret the LaTeX Lisp
> macros. By the way, the option  --noinform supresses the banner, but
> not the Kitten message. What can I do in order to supress the message?
>
> I really need to use the SBCL for speed. Both CLISP and GNU CL proved
> to be much slower than SBCL. In any case, SBCL for Windows does not
> seem so bug ridden that requires a strong warning with every running.

- ndownload and unpack the sources of sbcl
- execute: find $SBCL_SRC -type f -exec grep -n "Kitten" {} /dev/null \;
- edit the culprit file
- compile and install sbcl.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: comp.lang.scheme
On 28 fev, 13:09, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> "comp.lang.scheme" <········@yahoo.ca> writes:
> > Hi,
> > I am using SBCL to drive the plotit graphic package for LaTeX under
> > Windows. SBCL seems to compile flawlessly  all programs I tried,
> > except for one single thing. No matter what I do, it prints the Kitten
> > message.
>
> > This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use
> > at your own risk.  "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"
>
> > Since plotit inserts everything Lisp prints into the LaTeX text, the
> > message appears everytime it calls sbcl to interpret the LaTeX Lisp
> > macros. By the way, the option  --noinform supresses the banner, but
> > not the Kitten message. What can I do in order to supress the message?
>
> > I really need to use the SBCL for speed. Both CLISP and GNU CL proved
> > to be much slower than SBCL. In any case, SBCL for Windows does not
> > seem so bug ridden that requires a strong warning with every running.
>
> - ndownload and unpack the sources of sbcl
> - execute: find $SBCL_SRC -type f -exec grep -n "Kitten" {} /dev/null \;
> - edit the culprit file
> - compile and install sbcl.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

I tried all suggestions from this list, and everything worked! The
best result, however, was recompiling sbcl from sources. Since I never
recompiled anything so huge, I thought it would not work. However, it
worked fine. First, I found the culprit as you have suggested:

#ifdef LISP_FEATURE_WIN32
    fprintf(stderr, "\n\
This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use\n
\
at your own risk.  \"Your Kitten of Death awaits!\"\n");
    fflush(stdout);
    fflush(stderr);
#endif

I removed it. Then I entered the source directories, and started the
make.sh program:

make.sh sbcl

After a few minutes, voilà... I had a brand new sbcl. All Lisp
programs that I use with LaTeX are working perfectly well with the new
version.  Here is how sbcl starts now:

D:\Programs\lisp\SBCL\1.0.22>sbcl --noinform
* (* 3 4 5)

60
* (quit)

D:\Programs\lisp\SBCL\1.0.22>sbcl

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will spread the word to
LaTeX users.
From: Thomas A. Russ
"comp.lang.scheme" <········@yahoo.ca> writes:
> I tried all suggestions from this list, and everything worked! The
> best result, however, was recompiling sbcl from sources. Since I never
> recompiled anything so huge, I thought it would not work. However, it
> worked fine. First, I found the culprit as you have suggested:
>
> #ifdef LISP_FEATURE_WIN32
>     fprintf(stderr, "\n\
> This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use\n
> \
> at your own risk.  \"Your Kitten of Death awaits!\"\n");
>     fflush(stdout);
>     fflush(stderr);
> #endif

This suggests that perhaps an easier way to stop this from appearing in
your LaTeX output would be to rebind *standard-error* so that it isn't
the same as *standard-output*?

That would also generally intercept any other error messages and let you
deal with them in your own manner instead of havnig them appear in the
LaTeX output.

From: William James
comp.lang.scheme wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using SBCL to drive the plotit graphic package for LaTeX under
> Windows. SBCL seems to compile flawlessly  all programs I tried,
> except for one single thing. No matter what I do, it prints the Kitten
> message.
>
> This is experimental prerelease support for the Windows platform: use
> at your own risk.  "Your Kitten of Death awaits!"
>
> Since plotit inserts everything Lisp prints into the LaTeX text, the
> message appears everytime it calls sbcl to interpret the LaTeX Lisp
> macros. By the way, the option  --noinform supresses the banner, but
> not the Kitten message. What can I do in order to supress the message?
>
> I really need to use the SBCL for speed. Both CLISP and GNU CL proved
> to be much slower than SBCL. In any case, SBCL for Windows does not
> seem so bug ridden that requires a strong warning with every running.

Can you insert an awk filter?

my-program.exe | awk "!/Kitten of Death/"

There are several awks available for windoze.
From: Chaitanya Gupta
Posting to the sbcl-devel mailing list will probably help your cause
better...

Chaitanya