From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Dividing the Continent
Blog post by Brian Hayes:

  http://bit-player.org/2009/long-division

 "The new program is written in Common Lisp rather than
 Scheme � not for any deep reason, just because that�s the
 flavor of the week. The new version sifts through the
 21-megapixel map in a matter of seconds, although
 writing out Postscript images at various stages in
 the process (125 megabytes each) takes somewhat longer."

Brian Hayes is the author of the book 'group theory in the bedroom'.
  http://grouptheoryinthebedroom.com/

Notices of the American Mathematical Society (NAMS) has
a review of the book here:
  http://www.ams.org/notices/200902/rtx090200237p.pdf

The blog post is about the graphics on the cover
of NAMS Feb 2009:
  http://www.ams.org/notices/200902/noti-feb09-cov1.pdf

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Dividing the Continent
On Feb 11, 1:52 am, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> wrote:
> Blog post by Brian Hayes:
>
>  http://bit-player.org/2009/long-division
>
>  "The new program is written in Common Lisp rather than
>  Scheme ‹ not for any deep reason, just because that¹s the
>  flavor of the week. The new version sifts through the
>  21-megapixel map in a matter of seconds, although
>  writing out Postscript images at various stages in
>  the process (125 megabytes each) takes somewhat longer."
>
> Brian Hayes is the author of the book 'group theory in the bedroom'.
>  http://grouptheoryinthebedroom.com/
>
> Notices of the American Mathematical Society (NAMS) has
> a review of the book here:
>  http://www.ams.org/notices/200902/rtx090200237p.pdf
>
> The blog post is about the graphics on the cover
> of NAMS Feb 2009:
>  http://www.ams.org/notices/200902/noti-feb09-cov1.pdf
>
> --http://lispm.dyndns.org/

Note that few years ago Brian also published a article titled
Semicolon Wars, description the fanaticism of tech geekrs on comp
langs.

“Semicolon Wars” by Brian Hayes
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/id.3489,y.0,no.,content.true,page.5,css.print/issue.aspx

this is a mediocre essay. Some programer blogger, have written better
essays on this topic. (candidate include Steve Yegge, Yossi
Kreinin, ...)

Brian H, is one of those pop scientist. He has also wrote, for
example, a review of Stephen Wolfram book A New Type of Science.

“The World According to Wolfram” by Brian Hayes
http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/id.3261,y.0,no.,content.true,page.5,css.print/issue.aspx

See also:

• Notes on A New Kind of Science
  http://xahlee.org/cmaci/ca/ca.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
Why do you need to comment everything? Why do you crosspost your shit
to all kinds of newsgroups? Stop that.

I stop posting now. Idiot.
From: Benjamin L. Russell
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 05:39:40 -0800 (PST), Xah Lee <······@gmail.com>
wrote:

>[...]
>
>Note that few years ago Brian also published a article titled
>Semicolon Wars, description the fanaticism of tech geekrs on comp
>langs.
>
>$B!H(BSemicolon Wars$B!I(B by Brian Hayes
>http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/id.3489,y.0,no.,content.true,page.5,css.print/issue.aspx

Hayes makes an error in paragraph 16 (the 5th paragraph in the
subsection entitled "Organizing Babel" in the above-mentioned essay)
when he writes as follows:

>Several "pure" functional languages have emerged since then, including ML, Miranda and Haskell.

ML (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ML_programming_language) is not a
purely functional programming language; it is well-known for its side
effects.

On another issue, he does manage to capture one of the charms of Lisp
correctly:

>Everything is done the same way, and so there's not much to remember.

(This is what I like about R5RS Scheme, in particular.)  However, he
then gets the notation wrong, as follows:

>(What the world needs (I think) is not (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses)) but (an English (with more.))))

Since Lisp is evaluated inside-out, the expression "(a Lisp (with
fewer parentheses))" reads as "with fewer parentheses a Lisp," and the
expression "(an English (with more))" as "with more an English," but
this does not seem to be what he meant.

I would have expressed his apparently-intended thought in
pseudo-Scheme (sans the quotes) as follows (interpreting both "is" and
"but" as functionally equivalent to "equals," and "not" as a logical
"not"):

((but ((I think) (not (is (What the world needs) (with fewer
parentheses (a Lisp)))))) (with more (an English)))

This reduces to the following pseudo-Scheme expression:

((but ((I think) (not (is (What the world needs) (a Lisp with fewer
parentheses))))) (an English with more))

This further reduces to the following pseudo-Scheme expression:

((but ((I think) (not (What the world needs is a Lisp with fewer
parentheses)))) (an English with more))

This further reduces to the following pseudo-Scheme expression:

((but ((I think) (What the world needs is not a Lisp with fewer
parentheses))) (an English with more))

This further reduces to the following pseudo-Scheme expression
(substituting a lowercase 'w' for the uppercase 'W"):

((but (I think what the world needs is not a Lisp with fewer
parentheses)) (an English with more))

This further reduces to the following pseudo-Scheme expression:

((I think what the world needs is not a Lisp with fewer parentheses
but) (an English with more))

This further reduces to the following pseudo-Scheme expression:

(I think what the world needs is not a Lisp with fewer parentheses but
an English with more)

This reduces to the following English sentence:

I think what the world needs is not a Lisp with fewer parentheses, but
an English with more.

Unless I'm mistaken, this seems to be what he had meant to state.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^