From: Mirko
Subject: cl-user google map guidelines
It seems that the cl-user google map is functioning well enough.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114830829398919898492.000461fa38297b8417186&ll=42.689439,-73.836622&spn=0.003285,0.008025&z=18

Again, you need a google account to add a pin.  After loggin in (and
perhaps restarting the browser) you will see an edit button on the
left pane.  Clicking it brings a few icons on the top left map
corner.  Choose the pin and place it wherever.

We now have more than 10 pins :-)

That is still much less than the clojure folks
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=112691912540601337884.00045972a1deb8de0d96b&mid=1233628352
)

I would like to suggests a few guidelines for the map to be more
friendly and informative:

1) If you are putting someone else on the map, please have their
permission to do so (I see Bobby put Kenny swimming in East River.  I
hope he is not drowning).
2) You can use the note field to say a bit about yourself (as much as
you feel comfortable posting in such a public place): profession,
specialty, hobbies?
3) You don't have to pinpoint your exact personal location.  (I put my
office location for example).
4) If you don't feel like creating a google account just to put
yourself on the map, post the information on comp.lang.lisp, and
hopefully someone will do it for you.

And of course, spread the word :-)

Sadly, I suspect one day the map will be overrun by hordes of spam-
wielding blubbers.  We will have to figure out if and how to protect
it better.

Mirko

From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Re: cl-user google map guidelines
Mirko wrote:
> It seems that the cl-user google map is functioning well enough.
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114830829398919898492.000461fa38297b8417186&ll=42.689439,-73.836622&spn=0.003285,0.008025&z=18
>
> Again, you need a google account to add a pin.  After loggin in (and
> perhaps restarting the browser) you will see an edit button on the
> left pane.  Clicking it brings a few icons on the top left map
> corner.  Choose the pin and place it wherever.
>
> We now have more than 10 pins :-)
>
> That is still much less than the clojure folks
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=112691912540601337884.00045972a1deb8de0d96b&mid=1233628352
> )
>
> I would like to suggests a few guidelines for the map to be more
> friendly and informative:
>
> 1) If you are putting someone else on the map, please have their
> permission to do so (I see Bobby put Kenny swimming in East River.  I
> hope he is not drowning).
> 2) You can use the note field to say a bit about yourself (as much as
> you feel comfortable posting in such a public place): profession,
> specialty, hobbies?
> 3) You don't have to pinpoint your exact personal location.  (I put my
> office location for example).
> 4) If you don't feel like creating a google account just to put
> yourself on the map, post the information on comp.lang.lisp, and
> hopefully someone will do it for you.
>
> And of course, spread the word :-)
>
> Sadly, I suspect one day the map will be overrun by hordes of spam-
> wielding blubbers.  We will have to figure out if and how to protect
> it better.
>
> Mirko
Why it doesn't show the pins unlike clojure map?

bobi
From: Mirko
On Feb 9, 5:12 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Mirko wrote:
> > It seems that the cl-user google map is functioning well enough.
> >http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid...
>
> > Again, you need a google account to add a pin.  After loggin in (and
> > perhaps restarting the browser) you will see an edit button on the
> > left pane.  Clicking it brings a few icons on the top left map
> > corner.  Choose the pin and place it wherever.
>
> > We now have more than 10 pins :-)
>
> > That is still much less than the clojure folks
> >http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=11269191254060133788...
> > )
>
> > I would like to suggests a few guidelines for the map to be more
> > friendly and informative:
>
> > 1) If you are putting someone else on the map, please have their
> > permission to do so (I see Bobby put Kenny swimming in East River.  I
> > hope he is not drowning).
> > 2) You can use the note field to say a bit about yourself (as much as
> > you feel comfortable posting in such a public place): profession,
> > specialty, hobbies?
> > 3) You don't have to pinpoint your exact personal location.  (I put my
> > office location for example).
> > 4) If you don't feel like creating a google account just to put
> > yourself on the map, post the information on comp.lang.lisp, and
> > hopefully someone will do it for you.
>
> > And of course, spread the word :-)
>
> > Sadly, I suspect one day the map will be overrun by hordes of spam-
> > wielding blubbers.  We will have to figure out if and how to protect
> > it better.
>
> > Mirko
>
> Why it doesn't show the pins unlike clojure map?
>
> bobi

I did not get your point.  Can you explain?

cheers
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Feb 9, 12:15 pm, Mirko <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 5:12 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Mirko wrote:
> > > It seems that the cl-user google map is functioning well enough.
> > >http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid...
>
> > > Again, you need a google account to add a pin.  After loggin in (and
> > > perhaps restarting the browser) you will see an edit button on the
> > > left pane.  Clicking it brings a few icons on the top left map
> > > corner.  Choose the pin and place it wherever.
>
> > > We now have more than 10 pins :-)
>
> > > That is still much less than the clojure folks
> > >http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=11269191254060133788...
> > > )
>
> > > I would like to suggests a few guidelines for the map to be more
> > > friendly and informative:
>
> > > 1) If you are putting someone else on the map, please have their
> > > permission to do so (I see Bobby put Kenny swimming in East River.  I
> > > hope he is not drowning).
> > > 2) You can use the note field to say a bit about yourself (as much as
> > > you feel comfortable posting in such a public place): profession,
> > > specialty, hobbies?
> > > 3) You don't have to pinpoint your exact personal location.  (I put my
> > > office location for example).
> > > 4) If you don't feel like creating a google account just to put
> > > yourself on the map, post the information on comp.lang.lisp, and
> > > hopefully someone will do it for you.
>
> > > And of course, spread the word :-)
>
> > > Sadly, I suspect one day the map will be overrun by hordes of spam-
> > > wielding blubbers.  We will have to figure out if and how to protect
> > > it better.
>
> > > Mirko
>
> > Why it doesn't show the pins unlike clojure map?
>
> > bobi
>
> I did not get your point.  Can you explain?
Nevermind google maps looks like usability nightmare. Could you make
it show the world instead of being focused on you?

bobi

From: Mirko
On Feb 9, 8:18 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Feb 9, 12:15 pm, Mirko <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 9, 5:12 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Why it doesn't show the pins unlike clojure map?
>
> > > bobi
>
> > I did not get your point.  Can you explain?
>
> Nevermind google maps looks like usability nightmare. Could you make
> it show the world instead of being focused on you?
>
> bobi
>

> > cheers

I am incredibly annoyed by that.  Perusing help, I found a suggestion
that clearing the cache and cookies would allow the map to expand all
pins, but that did not work in Firefox 3.  When I get a chance, I will
look some more.

If you (anyone) finds out, please let me know so that I can resize it.

Mirko
From: Mirko
wrote:
> On Feb 9, 12:15 pm, Mirko <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 9, 5:12 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Why it doesn't show the pins unlike clojure map?
>
> > > bobi
>
> > I did not get your point.  Can you explain?
>
> Nevermind google maps looks like usability nightmare. Could you make
> it show the world instead of being focused on you?
>
> bobi
>

> > cheers

How about this link?
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114830829398919898492.000461fa38297b8417186&ll=42.689439,-73.836622&spn=276,4785&z=180

I changed some of the numbers at the end (spn, z) from the original
link.
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Feb 9, 2:55 pm, Mirko <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 8:18 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 9, 12:15 pm, Mirko <·············@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I did not get your point.  Can you explain?
>
> > Nevermind google maps looks like usability nightmare. Could you make
> > it show the world instead of being focused on you?
>
> > bobi
>
> > > cheers
>
> How about this link?http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid...
>
> I changed some of the numbers at the end (spn, z) from the original
> link.

Looks good, thanks.

bobi
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Feb 6, 4:18 am, Mirko <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that the cl-user google map is functioning well enough.http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid...
>
> Again, you need a google account to add a pin.  After loggin in (and
> perhaps restarting the browser) you will see an edit button on the
> left pane.  Clicking it brings a few icons on the top left map
> corner.  Choose the pin and place it wherever.
>
> We now have more than 10 pins :-)
>
> That is still much less than the clojure folkshttp://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=11269191254060133788...
> )
>
> I would like to suggests a few guidelines for the map to be more
> friendly and informative:
>
> 1) If you are putting someone else on the map, please have their
> permission to do so (I see Bobby put Kenny swimming in East River.  I
> hope he is not drowning).
ROFL cool. I removed him before he drowns.