From: Stefan Arentz
Subject: Looking for Symbolics XL1200 video cable
We obtained a Symbolics XL1200 lisp machine that we would like to get
up and running. Unfortunately the video cable is missing. Does anyone
know where we could get a replacement cable?

Making our own cable is also an option. Does anyone know the pin-outs
of the video port?

We *think* we just need the one cable with round connector that has 9
pins. Can anyone confirm that? Or do we need both that cable and coax?

We don't have manuals eithers :-)

 S.

From: ·······@eurogaran.com
Subject: Re: Looking for Symbolics XL1200 video cable
On Feb 5, 3:45 pm, Stefan Arentz <······@keizer.soze.com> wrote:
> We obtained a Symbolics XL1200 lisp machine that we would like to get
> up and running. Unfortunately the video cable is missing. Does anyone
> know where we could get a replacement cable?

In the meantime... Can you try ethernet access?
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@keizer.soze.com>,
 Stefan Arentz <······@keizer.soze.com> wrote:

> We obtained a Symbolics XL1200 lisp machine that we would like to get
> up and running. Unfortunately the video cable is missing. Does anyone
> know where we could get a replacement cable?
>
> Making our own cable is also an option. Does anyone know the pin-outs
> of the video port?
>
> We *think* we just need the one cable with round connector that has 9
> pins. Can anyone confirm that? Or do we need both that cable and coax?
>
> We don't have manuals eithers :-)
>
>  S.

You can order the cable from Symbolics. Peter Paine in the UK might
also have some.

Note that the cable is all you need to connect the console
to the machine. It carries video, keyboard, mouse
and audio signals.

You can also make your own. I don't have my cable(s) around,
but following is a description from an old Symbolics mail.
I can't verify it right now, but it may help...

-----------

If you're using the recommended Belden cable, then your cable has a
drain wire (no insulation) and four twisted pairs, each pair having a
numbered black and red wire; i.e. 1-black/1-red, 2-black/2-red ... and
so on.  The wires in all boxes should be connected a shown:

  ______________________________
 |                        ___  |
 |   Wallbox             | 9 |-+------- GND (sheild drain wire)
 |     PCBA              | 8 |-+------- Audio Serial RXD + (4 red)
 |                       | 7 |-+------- Audio Serial RXD - (4 black)
 |                       | 6 |-+------- Console Serial RXD + (3 red)
 |                       | 5 |-+------- Console Serial RXD - (3 black)
 |                       | 4 |-+------- Audio Serial TXD + (2 red)
 |                       | 3 |-+------- Audio Serial TXD - (2 black)
 |                       | 2 |-+------- Console Serial TXD + (1 red)
 |                       |_1_|-+------- Console Serial TXD - (1 black)
 |                             |
 |                             |
 |                             |
 |_____________________________|

Note that the serial pairs for digital audio are interleaved with the
serial pairs for console serial.  Keyboard data is received by the CPU
over the Console Serial RXD lines.  Serial data for the console serial
port is sent over the Console Serial TXD lines.  Digital Audio for the
console is sent over the Audio Serial TXD lines.  If wires for pins 2&3
or 4&5 are mixed up, then console serial data and carriers from the CPU
or console are connected to the digital audio lines, resulting in noise
on the console speaker.  It is possible to mess up lines, resulting in
noise, and still have the console appear to operate correctly.

-----------

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: Stefan Arentz
Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> writes:

> In article <··············@keizer.soze.com>,
>  Stefan Arentz <······@keizer.soze.com> wrote:
>
>> We obtained a Symbolics XL1200 lisp machine that we would like to get
>> up and running. Unfortunately the video cable is missing. Does anyone
>> know where we could get a replacement cable?
>>
>> Making our own cable is also an option. Does anyone know the pin-outs
>> of the video port?
>>
>> We *think* we just need the one cable with round connector that has 9
>> pins. Can anyone confirm that? Or do we need both that cable and coax?
>>
>> We don't have manuals eithers :-)
>>
>>  S.
>
> You can order the cable from Symbolics. Peter Paine in the UK might
> also have some.
>
> Note that the cable is all you need to connect the console
> to the machine. It carries video, keyboard, mouse
> and audio signals.
>
> You can also make your own. I don't have my cable(s) around,
> but following is a description from an old Symbolics mail.
> I can't verify it right now, but it may help...

Hi Rainer, thanks for that info.

But, I think we have a machine with a different kind of
connector. What we see on the back of the console is this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypatiadotca/3251583825/sizes/l/

The connector is visible under the power cord. It is a round 12 pins
one like this:

http://www.asl.dsl.pipex.com/symbolics/photos/IO/console-cable.html

Does that look familiar?

 S.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@keizer.soze.com>,
 Stefan Arentz <······@keizer.soze.com> wrote:

> Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de> writes:
>
> > In article <··············@keizer.soze.com>,
> >  Stefan Arentz <······@keizer.soze.com> wrote:
> >
> >> We obtained a Symbolics XL1200 lisp machine that we would like to get
> >> up and running. Unfortunately the video cable is missing. Does anyone
> >> know where we could get a replacement cable?
> >>
> >> Making our own cable is also an option. Does anyone know the pin-outs
> >> of the video port?
> >>
> >> We *think* we just need the one cable with round connector that has 9
> >> pins. Can anyone confirm that? Or do we need both that cable and coax?
> >>
> >> We don't have manuals eithers :-)
> >>
> >>  S.
> >
> > You can order the cable from Symbolics. Peter Paine in the UK might
> > also have some.
> >
> > Note that the cable is all you need to connect the console
> > to the machine. It carries video, keyboard, mouse
> > and audio signals.
> >
> > You can also make your own. I don't have my cable(s) around,
> > but following is a description from an old Symbolics mail.
> > I can't verify it right now, but it may help...
>
> Hi Rainer, thanks for that info.
>
> But, I think we have a machine with a different kind of
> connector. What we see on the back of the console is this:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypatiadotca/3251583825/sizes/l/
>
> The connector is visible under the power cord. It is a round 12 pins
> one like this:
>
> http://www.asl.dsl.pipex.com/symbolics/photos/IO/console-cable.html
>
> Does that look familiar?
>
>  S.

Try this:

----------

View of front of female Hirose cable connector:

          5
      4      6
    3  11  12  7
         10
      2      8
       1   9

1. Audio XMit -
2. Audio XMit +
3. Serial Biphase TXD -
4. Serial Biphase TXD +
5. Serial Biphase RXD -
6. Serial Biphase RXD +
7. Audio Clk or RCV -
8. Audio Clk or RCV +
9. Video Signal
10. Video Ground
11. Serial Ground
12. Ground

The connector is manufactured by the Japanese company HIROSE. The cable is
75 ohm coax (for the video) and 4 twisted pairs. The cables have males at
each end. Its made for Symbolics by GORE. There are twelve pins:

You can use 10 or 12 conductor twisted pair and RG59 or RG58 coax for the
video.  It would be ideal to find a cable with both twisted pairs and
coax.   We just used separate twisted pair cable and coax that we had
around the lab.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/