From: Brian Adkins
Subject: Number of applications written in Lisp
I was curious about the number of things written in various
programming languages, so I did some Google searches and summarized
the results here:

http://lojic.com/blog/2009/04/21/programming-language-popularity/

The Lisp family was high on the list. I'm aware that this is an
unscientific hack, but I found the results interesting nonetheless.

--
Brian Adkins
http://lojic.com/

From: ·······@eurogaran.com
Subject: Re: Number of applications written in Lisp
Suppose one bit gets corrupted :
a) if it belongs to one pixel in a movie, probably nothing noticeable
will happen
b) if it belongs -say- to one of the characters forming the word
"main" in a C source archive, then it won't compile
In other words: There is the quantity of bits, and then there is the
QUALITY of the bits. Not all bits have the same importance.

On the other hand, the enormous mass of C software can be hardly
considered representative of anything. After all, some Lisp
implementations compile code to C (Is that C code or Lisp code?).
From: smallpond
On Apr 23, 9:23 am, Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was curious about the number of things written in various
> programming languages, so I did some Google searches and summarized
> the results here:
>
> http://lojic.com/blog/2009/04/21/programming-language-popularity/
>
> The Lisp family was high on the list. I'm aware that this is an
> unscientific hack, but I found the results interesting nonetheless.
>
> --
> Brian Adkinshttp://lojic.com/

Pollsters have known for a long time that your results depend
on how you ask a question.

"<language> application"  - Java wins with 1.8M
"<language> cgi" - perl wins with 2.5M

and of course there's always the SROM approach.
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 23, 3:23 pm, Brian Adkins <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was curious about the number of things written in various
> programming languages, so I did some Google searches and summarized
> the results here:
>
> http://lojic.com/blog/2009/04/21/programming-language-popularity/
>
> The Lisp family was high on the list. I'm aware that this is an
> unscientific hack, but I found the results interesting nonetheless.
>
> --
> Brian Adkinshttp://lojic.com/

Typical example of the zipf law. The short head eats the cream the
rest is barely surviving.

slobodan