From: john
Subject: Can someone recommend a CLOS or Lisp Interpreter or Compiler
I am new to Lisp and have not seen a GNU Lisp interpreter.  I am
running an  Ubuntu 8.04 Linux system, dual-booting with Vista when I
must.  I would rather have a UNIX-compatible system, but I'll move if
I must.  I have Dr. Scheme; can I set its system up to run lisp?
Thanks in advance.  It's not for a class, but on my own, to read
Graham's damn book.

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
john <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> I am new to Lisp and have not seen a GNU Lisp interpreter.  I am
> running an  Ubuntu 8.04 Linux system, dual-booting with Vista when I
> must.  I would rather have a UNIX-compatible system, but I'll move if
> I must.  I have Dr. Scheme; can I set its system up to run lisp?
> Thanks in advance.  It's not for a class, but on my own, to read
> Graham's damn book.

Try GNU clisp http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/
If you want a native compiler, there's GNU Common Lisp, gcl, http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/

Otherwise, there are good CL implementations that are not licensed
under a GNU license, notably: sbcl, ecl, cmucl, openmcl, etc.  Have a look at:
http://www.cliki.net/Common%20Lisp%20implementation

Most free implementations run foremost on unix, but also (if with some
restrictions) on MS-Windows.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: ·····@sherbrookeconsulting.com
On Apr 21, 2:59 am, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
[...]
> Otherwise, there are good CL implementations that are not licensed
> under a GNU license, notably: sbcl, ecl, cmucl, openmcl, etc.

Just as a point of order, both ECL and OpenMCL/CCL are under a GNU
license, specifically the LGPL.

Cheers,
Pillsy
From: Juanjo
On Apr 21, 9:10 am, ······@sherbrookeconsulting.com"
<·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2:59 am, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Otherwise, there are good CL implementations that are not licensed
> > under a GNU license, notably: sbcl,ecl, cmucl, openmcl, etc.
>
> Just as a point of order, bothECLand OpenMCL/CCL are under a GNU
> license, specifically the LGPL.

The original poster probably meant that it is not GPL, a license that
forces anything linked against the original code to become free. ECL
is LGPL, which allows commercial uses with minor restrictions, such as
forcing any improvement done to ECL to become public and freely
available as source code.

Juanjo
From: john
On Apr 21, 12:42 am, Juanjo <·····················@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 21, 9:10 am, ······@sherbrookeconsulting.com"
>
> <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 21, 2:59 am, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> > wrote:
> > [...]
>
> > > Otherwise, there are good CL implementations that are not licensed
> > > under a GNU license, notably: sbcl,ecl, cmucl, openmcl, etc.
>
> > Just as a point of order, bothECLand OpenMCL/CCL are under a GNU
> > license, specifically the LGPL.
>
> The original poster probably meant that it is not GPL, a license that
> forces anything linked against the original code to become free. ECL
> is LGPL, which allows commercial uses with minor restrictions, such as
> forcing any improvement done to ECL to become public and freely
> available as source code.
>
> Juanjo

Thanks to all in the community; it 'twere an utterly n00b question,
and you folks went out of your way to help.  In some forums I would
have been sent to rtfm, some more, perhaps deservedly.  Thanks again,
and if I can help another n00b, I'll remember you 3. I know what the
LGPL is, but many don't, and it's right to remind folks.
John
From: namekuseijin
john wrote:
> I must.  I have Dr. Scheme; can I set its system up to run lisp?

It runs the Scheme Lisp dialect.
From: Chris.
On Apr 21, 1:48 am, john <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to Lisp and have not seen a GNU Lisp interpreter.  I am
> running an  Ubuntu 8.04 Linux system, dual-booting with Vista when I
> must.  I would rather have a UNIX-compatible system, but I'll move if
> I must.  I have Dr. Scheme; can I set its system up to run lisp?
> Thanks in advance.  It's not for a class, but on my own, to read
> Graham's damn book.

Which damn book?  He has a few damn books... :)
From: jonathan  cano
On Apr 21, 6:52 pm, "Chris." <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 1:48 am, john <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am new to Lisp and have not seen a GNU Lisp interpreter.  I am
> > running an  Ubuntu 8.04 Linux system, dual-booting with Vista when I
> > must.  I would rather have a UNIX-compatible system, but I'll move if
> > I must.  I have Dr. Scheme; can I set its system up to run lisp?
> > Thanks in advance.  It's not for a class, but on my own, to read
> > Graham's damn book.
>
> Which damn book?  He has a few damn books... :)

OP says he is a "n00b" so he probably has _ANSI Common Lisp_.  I
recommend using clisp.  Also, it is easy to get clisp in the Windows
world by installing cygwin.
From: Kenneth Tilton
jonathan cano wrote:
> On Apr 21, 6:52 pm, "Chris." <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 21, 1:48 am, john <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to Lisp and have not seen a GNU Lisp interpreter.  I am
>>> running an  Ubuntu 8.04 Linux system, dual-booting with Vista when I
>>> must.  I would rather have a UNIX-compatible system, but I'll move if
>>> I must.  I have Dr. Scheme; can I set its system up to run lisp?
>>> Thanks in advance.  It's not for a class, but on my own, to read
>>> Graham's damn book.
>> Which damn book?  He has a few damn books... :)
>
> OP says he is a "n00b" so he probably has _ANSI Common Lisp_.  I
> recommend using clisp.  Also, it is easy to get clisp in the Windows
> world by installing cygwin.

Is that damn book still in print? His other damn Lisp book is available
on-line, and methinks might be a tad more likely to be damned because of
its greater sophistication.

kzo
From: Chris.
On Apr 23, 6:31 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> jonathan cano wrote:

> >> Which damn book?  He has a few damn books... :)
>
> > OP says he is a "n00b" so he probably has _ANSI Common Lisp_.  I
> > recommend using clisp.  Also, it is easy to get clisp in the Windows
> > world by installing cygwin.
>
> Is that damn book still in print? His other damn Lisp book is available
> on-line, and methinks might be a tad more likely to be damned because of
> its greater sophistication.
>
> kzo

I dunno.  Hackers & Painters was published by O'Reilly, and it's the
closest they've gotten to publishing a Lisp book.  So, that seems like
a pretty damned book to me...

And yes, I know that O'Reilly is looking into possibly publishing one,
which is as sure a sign of the Apocalypse as Penguin publishing a
Spillane book.

Chris.