From: Mark Tarver
Subject: interesting comparison; Qi, Lisp and OCaml
This was a post on Qilang back in December which I thought the folks
here might find interesting.  Its a program for constructing binary
trees for data storage which the was written in three languages; Qi
II, Lisp and OCaml.  Xavier Leroy (who was a leading developer of
OCaml) was the author of the original OCaml, and David McClain of
Refined Audiometrics transcribed the program into the other two
languages.  The three programs are here

http://refined-audiometrics.com/tekram/set.ml  -- the original OCaml
version
http://refined-audiometrics.com/tekram/sets.lisp -- transcribed to
Lisp
http://refined-audiometrics.com/tekram/sets.qi  -- the newly
transcribed Qi code

David's post and his reflections are on Qilang

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Qilang/browse_thread/thread/3cdc35b27a79b312/2ea77bc6ab934746?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=OCaml#2ea77bc6ab934746

Also of interest - on performance

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Qilang/browse_thread/thread/9aaec8451d798daa/c7fc89b0c023b794?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=very+nice+of+Qi#c7fc89b0c023b794

Nuff from me; I'll leave this for people who are interested.

Mark
From: namekuseijin
Subject: Re: interesting comparison; Qi, Lisp and OCaml
Mark Tarver escreveu:
> This was a post on Qilang back in December which I thought the folks
> here might find interesting.  Its a program for constructing binary
> trees for data storage which the was written in three languages; Qi
> II, Lisp and OCaml.  Xavier Leroy (who was a leading developer of
> OCaml) was the author of the original OCaml, and David McClain of
> Refined Audiometrics transcribed the program into the other two
> languages.  The three programs are here
>
> http://refined-audiometrics.com/tekram/set.ml  -- the original OCaml
> version
> http://refined-audiometrics.com/tekram/sets.lisp -- transcribed to
> Lisp
> http://refined-audiometrics.com/tekram/sets.qi  -- the newly
> transcribed Qi code

Some statistics Qi code downloaded at 0 bytes.  OCaml code is about 4
page downs in the browser and Common Lisp about 24.  No doubt pattern
matching for descontructing and binding arguments is a good thing and I
wonder why constructs like case-lambda or similars are not used that much...

Gotta love how this newsgroups seems like a free-for-all gladiator arena
for functional programming languages...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9