From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: ..a couple of pastes; STM and data-flow stuff..
Hey,
So much spam. Here is some code-spam:

STM (similar to what clojure has):
  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78259#3

dataflow (hi kt):
  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78490

STM and dataflow combined, just finished this:
  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78522

"processes" / message-queue (more "absolute worlds" for STM to sync
against == more concurrency):
  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78520

..there is more work to do. Need a killer-app. also. Online, real-time
collaboration on a spread-sheet? Bit boring, and I guess Google has
this already ..

PS: IMHO Lisp still rocks. I can't imagine doing this in Java .. :/

From: Raffael Cavallaro
Subject: Re: ..a couple of pastes; STM and data-flow stuff..
On Apr 13, 7:57 pm, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> So much spam. Here is some code-spam:
>
> STM (similar to what clojure has):
>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78259#3
>
> dataflow (hi kt):
>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78490
>
> STM and dataflow combined, just finished this:
>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78522
>
> "processes" / message-queue (more "absolute worlds" for STM to sync
> against == more concurrency):
>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78520
>
> ..there is more work to do. Need a killer-app. also. Online, real-time
> collaboration on a spread-sheet? Bit boring, and I guess Google has
> this already ..
>
> PS: IMHO Lisp still rocks. I can't imagine doing this in Java .. :/

where is stm-class?
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Apr 14, 4:28 am, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 13, 7:57 pm, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hey,
> > So much spam. Here is some code-spam:
>
> > STM (similar to what clojure has):
> >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78259#3
>
> > dataflow (hi kt):
> >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78490
>
> > STM and dataflow combined, just finished this:
> >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78522
>
> > "processes" / message-queue (more "absolute worlds" for STM to sync
> > against == more concurrency):
> >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78520
>
> > ..there is more work to do. Need a killer-app. also. Online, real-time
> > collaboration on a spread-sheet? Bit boring, and I guess Google has
> > this already ..
>
> > PS: IMHO Lisp still rocks. I can't imagine doing this in Java .. :/
>
> where is stm-class?

No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.

PS: I just noticed that my STM implementation does not have problems
with thread starvation. Take that, dumb ass fancy Haskell syntax. (i
wish i could parse that stuff tbh....)
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On Apr 16, 11:33 am, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.

And here I was thinking you'd need actual working code first before
you could write the killer app.

My bad.
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Apr 16, 6:46 pm, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 16, 11:33 am, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.
>
> And here I was thinking you'd need actual working code first before
> you could write the killer app.
>
> My bad.

huh?
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Apr 16, 6:52 pm, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:46 pm, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 16, 11:33 am, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.
>
> > And here I was thinking you'd need actual working code first before
> > you could write the killer app.
>
> > My bad.
>
> huh?

WAIT; HOW IS BABBY FORMED?
From: Kenneth Tilton
Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:46 pm, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 11:33 am, Lars Rune N�stdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.
>> And here I was thinking you'd need actual working code first before
>> you could write the killer app.
>>
>> My bad.
>
> huh?

Just someone who does not realize that a library needs a serious
application to shape it. Lisp, eg, had AI.

kt
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On Apr 16, 2:39 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> > On Apr 16, 6:46 pm, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> And here I was thinking you'd need actual working code first before
> >> you could write the killer app.
>
> >> My bad.
>
> > huh?
>
> Just someone who does not realize that a library needs a serious
> application to shape it. Lisp, eg, had AI.
>
> kt

The most difficult part of an stm implementation is the details of the
transaction handling. The syntactic sugar over this is fairly
straightforward. Unless I'm missing something (and I did ask for a
pointer), the posted code is all syntactic sugar and no working parts.
I.e., the stm-class which presumably provides that functionality is
missing from the pastes. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think a
"killer app" is going to magically produce a working, debugged,
tested, correct implementation of transactions.
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Apr 16, 10:21 pm, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2:39 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

> > > huh?
>
> > Just someone who does not realize that a library needs a serious
> > application to shape it. Lisp, eg, had AI.
>
> > kt
>
> The most difficult part of an stm implementation is the details of the
> transaction handling.

You might be on to something here. The Software and the Memory is
there already, I suppose. Just need that last bit in the middle; the
T. I'll start on this right now then get back to you.

> The syntactic sugar over this is fairly
> straightforward.

Yes, indeed. These pastes are actually just a "dead" ASCII text files
I've been playing around with in Notepad showing "what could be". The
sugar isn't even "real", but the Rolex watches are.

> Unless I'm missing something..

No, I think you're right. But do keep in mind that this is "code
spam".

> ..(and I did ask for a pointer),

ORLY?

> I.e., the stm-class which presumably provides that functionality is
> missing from the pastes.

It is not "missing"; it was not included on purpose. Again this is
"code spam".

> Call me old fashioned, but I don't think a
> "killer app" is going to magically produce a working, debugged,
> tested, correct implementation of transactions.

This reminds me of the meta-circularity trait Common in Lisps.
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On Apr 16, 5:44 pm, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Again this is "code spam".

Just wanted to confirm in what sense you meant "code spam." Now we
know it's code spam of the word salad variety - looks superficially
like real code, but on closer inspection, there's no there there.

BTW, if you go back and read your OP it's not at all obvious that
you're linking to non-functional code (the term "spam" doesn't
necessarily mean "word salad" you know, just unsolicited commercial
email). I wonder how many of the other posters to this thread realized
as I did that the functionality was missing.
From: Thomas A. Russ
Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 16, 5:44��pm, Lars Rune N��stdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Again this is "code spam".
>
> Just wanted to confirm in what sense you meant "code spam." Now we
> know it's code spam of the word salad variety - looks superficially
> like real code, but on closer inspection, there's no there there.

Gee, and I thought that "code spam" referred to the Ruby snippets that
keep showing up in a Lisp newsgroup....

From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 17, 10:35 pm, ····@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) wrote:
> Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Apr 16, 5:44  pm, Lars Rune N østdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Again this is "code spam".
>
> > Just wanted to confirm in what sense you meant "code spam." Now we
> > know it's code spam of the word salad variety - looks superficially
> > like real code, but on closer inspection, there's no there there.
>
> Gee, and I thought that "code spam" referred to the Ruby snippets that
> keep showing up in a Lisp newsgroup....
We call them programming for the masses.
bobi

From: Kenneth Tilton
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> We call them programming for the masses.

Could be an oxymoron in there somewhere. I am trying to picture a
nooby-friendly F-15 cockpit, coming up empty.

kzo
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
>> We call them programming for the masses.
>
> Could be an oxymoron in there somewhere. I am trying to picture a
> nooby-friendly F-15 cockpit, coming up empty.

Easy:

             _____________
            /             \
            |  E J E C T  |
            \_____________/

That's the only nooby-friendly button you need on a F-15.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Kenneth Tilton
Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
>>> We call them programming for the masses.
>> Could be an oxymoron in there somewhere. I am trying to picture a
>> nooby-friendly F-15 cockpit, coming up empty.
>
> Easy:
>
>              _____________
>             /             \
>             |  E J E C T  |
>             \_____________/
>

> That's the only nooby-friendly button you need on a F-15.

Noobies. The good news is that you will not be billed posthumously for
the F-15. The bad news is that you did not notice the [Release Canopy]
button.

kt
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 18, 11:32 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> > We call them programming for the masses.
>
> Could be an oxymoron in there somewhere. I am trying to picture a
> nooby-friendly F-15 cockpit, coming up empty.
>
> kzo

Nah humie pilots are so 80's now there are plans only for building
UCAVs . I've seen a discovery show about f-15 pilot flying as a test
pilot for an unmanned aircraft. Notice the irony, and his little son
wanted to become a fighter pilot just like his dad. But it'll never
happen. Machines, pardon computers are taking over and humamns are
rendered obsolete.
The only first hand experience any *pilot* could have is to write
program for its combat mission.
(defun blow-up-some-talibans (aircraft)
  (load-bombs-on aircraft)
  (fly-aircraft-to pakistan)
  (drop-bombs-precisely)-with aircraft
  (get-back-to-base))

cheers
bobi
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
> (defun blow-up-some-talibans (aircraft)
>   (load-bombs-on aircraft)
>   (fly-aircraft-to pakistan)
>   (drop-bombs-precisely)-with aircraft
>   (get-back-to-base))

(in-package "taliban-aircraft-takeover")
(defmacro defun (...))

Use always "cl:defun"... unless they've also changed the *readtable*!

Damn! Maybe ADA is better for aircrafts :) hehehehe
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 22, 11:38 pm, "Dimiter \"malkia\" Stanev" <······@mac.com>
wrote:
> > (defun blow-up-some-talibans (aircraft)
> >   (load-bombs-on aircraft)
> >   (fly-aircraft-to pakistan)
> >   (drop-bombs-precisely)-with aircraft
> >   (get-back-to-base))
>
> (in-package "taliban-aircraft-takeover")
> (defmacro defun (...))
>
> Use always "cl:defun"... unless they've also changed the *readtable*!
>
> Damn! Maybe ADA is better for aircrafts :) hehehehe

I think we should be using language with strong type system,
(fly-aircraft-to pakistan)  should actually be (fly-aircraft-to
afghanistan)
Thanks to dated language like lisp we blow up our allies :-(
Unless of course we changed the program while it was running.

bobi
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> On Apr 22, 11:38 pm, "Dimiter \"malkia\" Stanev" <······@mac.com>
> wrote:
>>> (defun blow-up-some-talibans (aircraft)
>>>   (load-bombs-on aircraft)
>>>   (fly-aircraft-to pakistan)
>>>   (drop-bombs-precisely)-with aircraft
>>>   (get-back-to-base))
>> (in-package "taliban-aircraft-takeover")
>> (defmacro defun (...))
>>
>> Use always "cl:defun"... unless they've also changed the *readtable*!
>>
>> Damn! Maybe ADA is better for aircrafts :) hehehehe
>
> I think we should be using language with strong type system,
> (fly-aircraft-to pakistan)  should actually be (fly-aircraft-to
> afghanistan)
> Thanks to dated language like lisp we blow up our allies :-(
> Unless of course we changed the program while it was running.
>
> bobi

Ah my dream of remotely SLIME controlled AIRCRAFT!
From: GP lisper
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:39:47 -0400, <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 6:46 pm, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> And here I was thinking you'd need actual working code first before
>>> you could write the killer app.
>>>
>>> My bad.
>>
>> huh?
>
> Just someone who does not realize that a library needs a serious
> application to shape it. Lisp, eg, had AI.

Indeed.  Only now, after tweaking a primary app for a couple years do
I think about splitting it up.  I'm still tossing out and adding in,
but there is a big enough core nowdays.

--
Latin is dead.  Latin googles 352,000,000, Lisp googles 8,640,000.
Therefore, Lisp isn't as dead as Latin.
From: Marco Antoniotti
On Apr 18, 10:01 pm, GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:39:47 -0400, <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

> >> huh?
>
> > Just someone who does not realize that a library needs a serious
> > application to shape it. Lisp, eg, had AI.
>
> Indeed.  Only now, after tweaking a primary app for a couple years do
> I think about splitting it up.  I'm still tossing out and adding in,
> but there is a big enough core nowdays.
>
> --
> Latin is dead.  Latin googles 352,000,000, Lisp googles 8,640,000.
> Therefore, Lisp isn't as dead as Latin.

Google "Lingua Perligata Latina"

Cheers
--
Marco
From: Kenneth Tilton
Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
> On Apr 14, 4:28 am, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Apr 13, 7:57 pm, Lars Rune N�stdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hey,
>>> So much spam. Here is some code-spam:
>>> STM (similar to what clojure has):
>>>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78259#3
>>> dataflow (hi kt):
>>>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78490
>>> STM and dataflow combined, just finished this:
>>>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78522
>>> "processes" / message-queue (more "absolute worlds" for STM to sync
>>> against == more concurrency):
>>>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78520
>>> ..there is more work to do. Need a killer-app. also. Online, real-time
>>> collaboration on a spread-sheet? Bit boring, and I guess Google has
>>> this already ..
>>> PS: IMHO Lisp still rocks. I can't imagine doing this in Java .. :/
>> where is stm-class?
>
> No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.

Jeez, when are You People going to listen to me?

     Interactive Porn Chat

hth,kxo
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Apr 16, 6:53 pm, Kenneth Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> > On Apr 14, 4:28 am, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> where is stm-class?
>
> > No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.
>
> Jeez, when are You People going to listen to me?
>
>      Interactive Porn Chat

haha, yes. :) .. porn and food; people will always need that.

"how babby form money?"

From: GP lisper
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:53:08 -0400, <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 4:28 am, Raffael Cavallaro <················@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> where is stm-class?
>>
>> No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.
>
> Jeez, when are You People going to listen to me?
>
>      Interactive Porn Chat

Been there, done that, e.g. SECOND LIFE
From: Kenneth Tilton
GP lisper wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:53:08 -0400, <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:

>>> No, this is wrong. I need a "killer app.", first.
>> Jeez, when are You People going to listen to me?
>>
>>      Interactive Porn Chat
>
> Been there, done that, e.g. SECOND LIFE

Hard to believe. Xah found Second Life and started a community devoted
to....EMACS?! Unless there is something about EMACS I do not know...
perhaps Eliza .... can ASCII art do 3D? Omigod....

kt
From: GP lisper
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:28:04 -0400, <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Jeez, when are You People going to listen to me?
>>>
>>>      Interactive Porn Chat
>>
>> Been there, done that, e.g. SECOND LIFE
>
> Hard to believe. Xah found Second Life and started a community devoted
> to....EMACS?! Unless there is something about EMACS I do not know...
> perhaps Eliza .... can ASCII art do 3D? Omigod....

If Xah entered into 2nd Life, it will be interesting to see how long
he lasts.  I think the average duration is about 2 months, but Xah's
staying power is well known.  The complete absence of vivable
population shouldn't bother Xah, he talks into a vacuum often enough
now.  I should check to see if Science Fridays is still resident
sometime, everything else I ever heard about (except the hookers) was
always gone when I peeked.
From: Kenneth Tilton
GP lisper wrote:

>>> Been there, done that, e.g. SECOND LIFE
>> Hard to believe. Xah found Second Life and started a community devoted
>> to....EMACS?! Unless there is something about EMACS I do not know...
>> perhaps Eliza .... can ASCII art do 3D? Omigod....
>
> If Xah entered into 2nd Life, it will be interesting to see how long
> he lasts.  I think the average duration is about 2 months, but Xah's
> staying power is well known.  The complete absence of vivable
> population shouldn't bother Xah, he talks into a vacuum often enough
> now.  I should check to see if Science Fridays is still resident
> sometime, everything else I ever heard about (except the hookers) was
> always gone when I peeked.

Maybe I should check. Are there some really filthy porn communities I
should, um, avoid?

kxo
From: GP lisper
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 01:57:46 -0400, <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> GP lisper wrote:

>>> Hard to believe. Xah found Second Life and started a community devoted
>>> to....EMACS?! Unless there is something about EMACS I do not know...
>>> perhaps Eliza .... can ASCII art do 3D? Omigod....
>>
>> If Xah entered into 2nd Life, it will be interesting to see how long
>> he lasts.  I think the average duration is about 2 months, but Xah's
>> staying power is well known.  The complete absence of vivable
>> population shouldn't bother Xah, he talks into a vacuum often enough
>> now.  I should check to see if Science Fridays is still resident
>> sometime, everything else I ever heard about (except the hookers) was
>> always gone when I peeked.
>>

> Maybe I should check. Are there some really filthy porn communities I
> should, um, avoid?

I'm afraid I know of no guidebook.  You needed an excellent video
setup to deal with the crappy graphics engine when I last visited 2-3
years ago, apparently they wrote their own and have never heard of
John Carmack or his bag of tricks.  The server population was too low
to get any advantage out of the 'convert Lindendollars to US dollars'
feature.  I was only reminded of SL recently when trawlering an image
cache site looking for a previously posted 'State of Work' snapshot.
Those images certainly matched 'Interactive Porn Chat'.  There was a
review titled something about 'Stay for the Hookers' once and I
remember being acosted within a minute when first entering SL.  A
spruced up Eliza bot might work, call it Cellulite? ;-)

--
Lisp:  Powering `Impossible Thoughts since 1958
From: Frank Buss
GP lisper wrote:

> I'm afraid I know of no guidebook.  You needed an excellent video
> setup to deal with the crappy graphics engine when I last visited 2-3
> years ago, apparently they wrote their own and have never heard of
> John Carmack or his bag of tricks.

At least the client was OpenSource. When I tested it, the server security
was not very good, so things like disabling the zoom and panning limit in
the client was interesting :-)

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Frank Buss
Kenneth Tilton wrote:

> Maybe I should check. Are there some really filthy porn communities I
> should, um, avoid?

You can filter for Mature (M) and non-Mature (PG) locations, but some years
ago when I tried SL, it was not that bad. There is far more other content
than porn, even in Mature locations.

LSL scripting with physical objects is interesting. Some of my scripts:

http://www.sparticarroll.com/Bending+Fish.ashx
http://www.sparticarroll.com/AccessList.ashx
http://www.sparticarroll.com/Geodesic+Dome+Builder.ashx
http://www.sparticarroll.com/Music+Jukebox.ashx

There are free sandbox locations in SL to try it.

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev

http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/ss/TTYQuakeConsole.html
From: Kenneth Tilton
Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
> Hey,
> So much spam. Here is some code-spam:
>
> STM (similar to what clojure has):
>   http://paste.lisp.org/display/78259#3

cool.

> dataflow (hi kt):
>   http://paste.lisp.org/display/78490

Dataflow! Annual conference will be in Monte Carlo. No talks, just a
three day pub crawl.

Meanwhile, yes, let us push these closet Java programmers into the sea.

A killer app might be distance-learning and/or side-by-side tutoring, a
teacher and one or more students taking turns at a shared online
blackboard while also exchanging messages in a conventional chat.

ie, an on-line writing lab like the ones offered in us colleges for kids
who got out of high school without learning all that much (you know, all
of them).

kt
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 14, 1:57 am, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> So much spam. Here is some code-spam:
>
> STM (similar to what clojure has):
>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78259#3
>
> dataflow (hi kt):
>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78490
>
> STM and dataflow combined, just finished this:
>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78522
>
> "processes" / message-queue (more "absolute worlds" for STM to sync
> against == more concurrency):
>  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78520
>
> ..there is more work to do. Need a killer-app. also. Online, real-time
> collaboration on a spread-sheet? Bit boring, and I guess Google has
> this already ..
>
> PS: IMHO Lisp still rocks. I can't imagine doing this in Java .. :/
Cool dataflow examples, just below with-cells looks blockish.

  (with-cells (cell-1 cell-2 cell-3)
            (dbg-princ cell-3)
            (incf cell-1)
            (dbg-princ cell-3)
            (incf cell-1)
            (dbg-princ cell-3)
            (incf cell-1)
            (dbg-princ cell-3)))

bobi
http://tourdelisp.blogspot.com/
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Apr 14, 8:48 pm, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 14, 1:57 am, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> > So much spam. Here is some code-spam:
>
> > STM (similar to what clojure has):
> >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78259#3
>
> > dataflow (hi kt):
> >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78490
>
> > STM and dataflow combined, just finished this:
> >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78522
>
> > "processes" / message-queue (more "absolute worlds" for STM to sync
> > against == more concurrency):
> >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78520
>
> > ..there is more work to do. Need a killer-app. also. Online, real-time
> > collaboration on a spread-sheet? Bit boring, and I guess Google has
> > this already ..
>
> > PS: IMHO Lisp still rocks. I can't imagine doing this in Java .. :/
>
> Cool dataflow examples, just below with-cells looks blockish.
>
>   (with-cells (cell-1 cell-2 cell-3)
>             (dbg-princ cell-3)
>             (incf cell-1)
>             (dbg-princ cell-3)
>             (incf cell-1)
>             (dbg-princ cell-3)
>             (incf cell-1)
>             (dbg-princ cell-3)))

with-cells is just a macro that expands to a symbol-macrolet and
reduces the amount of typing one need to do; it is not needed. with-
formula has an implicit with-cells. with-refs is the same thing; I'll
quote from one of the comments in the pastes:

#|
WITH-REFS just reduces the amount of typing needed.
Without it, you'd have to do things like:

  (incf (value-of a))
  (assert (= (value-of a) (value-of b)))

|#

..and similarly with-sync has an implicit with-refs, like this:

  (with-refs (,@(when (listp (first args)) (first args)))

I'm not sure what you mean by blockish, but it doesn't block or
anything like that; it's just a convenience macro like the standard
cl:with-slots macro really.

From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 16, 5:11 pm, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 14, 8:48 pm, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 14, 1:57 am, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hey,
> > > So much spam. Here is some code-spam:
>
> > > STM (similar to what clojure has):
> > >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78259#3
>
> > > dataflow (hi kt):
> > >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78490
>
> > > STM and dataflow combined, just finished this:
> > >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78522
>
> > > "processes" / message-queue (more "absolute worlds" for STM to sync
> > > against == more concurrency):
> > >  http://paste.lisp.org/display/78520
>
> > > ..there is more work to do. Need a killer-app. also. Online, real-time
> > > collaboration on a spread-sheet? Bit boring, and I guess Google has
> > > this already ..
>
> > > PS: IMHO Lisp still rocks. I can't imagine doing this in Java .. :/
>
> > Cool dataflow examples, just below with-cells looks blockish.
>
> >   (with-cells (cell-1 cell-2 cell-3)
> >             (dbg-princ cell-3)
> >             (incf cell-1)
> >             (dbg-princ cell-3)
> >             (incf cell-1)
> >             (dbg-princ cell-3)
> >             (incf cell-1)
> >             (dbg-princ cell-3)))
>
> with-cells is just a macro that expands to a symbol-macrolet and
> reduces the amount of typing one need to do; it is not needed. with-
> formula has an implicit with-cells. with-refs is the same thing; I'll
> quote from one of the comments in the pastes:
>
> #|
> WITH-REFS just reduces the amount of typing needed.
> Without it, you'd have to do things like:
>
>   (incf (value-of a))
>   (assert (= (value-of a) (value-of b)))
>
> |#
>
> ..and similarly with-sync has an implicit with-refs, like this:
>
>   (with-refs (,@(when (listp (first args)) (first args)))
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by blockish, but it doesn't block or
> anything like that; it's just a convenience macro like the standard
> cl:with-slots macro really.
Thanks for the explanation. It looks blockish because whenever I see
code like:
(progn
  (statement 1)
  (statement 2)
  (statement 3))
It reminds me of c/c++/c# and other languages that depend to much on
assignment, else why would they compute statement but disregard its
value.
Mayne this would be little bit lisper.
   (with-cells (cell-1 cell-2 cell-3)
       (dotimes (i 7)
          (if (evenp i)
             (dbg-princ cell-3)
             (incf cell-1))))
cheers
bobi

From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Apr 17, 6:41 pm, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 16, 5:11 pm, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 14, 8:48 pm, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Cool dataflow examples, just below with-cells looks blockish.
>
> > >   (with-cells (cell-1 cell-2 cell-3)
> > >             (dbg-princ cell-3)
> > >             (incf cell-1)
> > >             (dbg-princ cell-3)
> > >             (incf cell-1)
> > >             (dbg-princ cell-3)
> > >             (incf cell-1)
> > >             (dbg-princ cell-3)))
>
> > with-cells is just a macro that expands to a symbol-macrolet and
> > reduces the amount of typing one need to do; it is not needed. with-
> > formula has an implicit with-cells. with-refs is the same thing; I'll
> > quote from one of the comments in the pastes:
>
> > #|
> > WITH-REFS just reduces the amount of typing needed.
> > Without it, you'd have to do things like:
>
> >   (incf (value-of a))
> >   (assert (= (value-of a) (value-of b)))
>
> > |#
>
> > ..and similarly with-sync has an implicit with-refs, like this:
>
> >   (with-refs (,@(when (listp (first args)) (first args)))
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean by blockish, but it doesn't block or
> > anything like that; it's just a convenience macro like the standard
> > cl:with-slots macro really.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. It looks blockish because whenever I see
> code like:
> (progn
>   (statement 1)
>   (statement 2)
>   (statement 3))
> It reminds me of c/c++/c# and other languages that depend to much on
> assignment, else why would they compute statement but disregard its
> value.
> Mayne this would be little bit lisper.
>    (with-cells (cell-1 cell-2 cell-3)
>        (dotimes (i 7)
>           (if (evenp i)
>              (dbg-princ cell-3)
>              (incf cell-1))))
> cheers
> bobi
>

> > > bobihttp://tourdelisp.blogspot.com/

Ah, ok - yes. :)

In general the examples intentionally try to provoke problems like
races, conflicts, starvation and deadlock etc. as often as possible by
manipulating timing and doing a lot of pointless assignment. I.e. they
are dumb and perhaps not-so-Lispy on purpose.
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 17, 9:04 pm, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the explanation. It looks blockish because whenever I see
> > code like:
> > (progn
> >   (statement 1)
> >   (statement 2)
> >   (statement 3))
> > It reminds me of c/c++/c# and other languages that depend to much on
> > assignment, else why would they compute statement but disregard its
> > value.
> > Mayne this would be little bit lisper.
> >    (with-cells (cell-1 cell-2 cell-3)
> >        (dotimes (i 7)
> >           (if (evenp i)
> >              (dbg-princ cell-3)
> >              (incf cell-1))))
> > cheers
> > bobi

> Ah, ok - yes. :)
>
> In general the examples intentionally try to provoke problems like
> races, conflicts, starvation and deadlock etc. as often as possible by
> manipulating timing and doing a lot of pointless assignment. I.e. they
> are dumb and perhaps not-so-Lispy on purpose.
ROFL Another entry for my collection of lisp quotes

bobi
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Apr 14, 1:57 am, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> So much spam. Here is some code-spam:

Bored. :(
Here is another paste: http://paste.lisp.org/display/79284

Don't want some of the effects caused by dataflow to trigger more than
once when the transaction(s) retry on conflict. WHEN-COMMIT solves
this. Put IO and/or UI updates there.

Turning into a merge of Cells and Clojure? PS: I really like the sb-
ext:compare-and-swap stuff.

Best,
ACME Crapware