From: Jeff Shrager
Subject: Seeking Lisp-based recursive browser gizmo
A couple years ago I saw a highly ajaxy lisp-based browser gizmo that
was essentially a whole window system built into the browser -- or at
least recursively embedded browsers inside the main one. I've tried a
few obvious searches of c.l.l., but can't find it. I think that it was
built by a (no surprise) European company using (no surprise)
hutchentoot. Can someone point this example out to me (if one can make
any sense of what I'm talking about)?

Thanks,
'Jeff

From: Kenneth Tilton
Subject: Re: Seeking Lisp-based recursive browser gizmo
Jeff Shrager wrote:
> A couple years ago I saw a highly ajaxy lisp-based browser gizmo that
> was essentially a whole window system built into the browser -- or at
> least recursively embedded browsers inside the main one. I've tried a
> few obvious searches of c.l.l., but can't find it. I think that it was
> built by a (no surprise) European company using (no surprise)
> hutchentoot. Can someone point this example out to me (if one can make
> any sense of what I'm talking about)?
>
> Thanks,
> 'Jeff

we've all switched to qooxdoo.* It was a widget that holds a browser.
Cellsy-lispy wrapper coming any month now.

hth, kt

* ie, Sorry, does not ring a bell.
From: Kenneth Tilton
Kenneth Tilton wrote:
> Jeff Shrager wrote:
>> A couple years ago I saw a highly ajaxy lisp-based browser gizmo that
>> was essentially a whole window system built into the browser -- or at
>> least recursively embedded browsers inside the main one. I've tried a
>> few obvious searches of c.l.l., but can't find it. I think that it was
>> built by a (no surprise) European company using (no surprise)
>> hutchentoot. Can someone point this example out to me (if one can make
>> any sense of what I'm talking about)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> 'Jeff
>
> we've all switched to qooxdoo.* It was a widget that holds a browser.
> Cellsy-lispy wrapper coming any month now.
>
> hth, kt
>

> * ie, Sorry, does not ring a bell.

I meant, Sorry, the gizmo does not ring a bell. Here is qooxdoo's
browser in a window:

http://demo.qooxdoo.org/current/demobrowser/#showcase~Browser.html

qooxdoo also does fit the bill of a complete application framework in a
browser, and happens to go so far as to hide html/css, tho one can embed
  raw html widgets if one likes. It also just came in fastest on a DOM
manipulation benchmark, and actual working pages were faster for us than
Dojo, YUI, or jQuery.

hth, kt
From: Alessio Stalla
On Apr 13, 9:40 pm, Jeff Shrager <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple years ago I saw a highly ajaxy lisp-based browser gizmo that
> was essentially a whole window system built into the browser -- or at
> least recursively embedded browsers inside the main one. I've tried a
> few obvious searches of c.l.l., but can't find it. I think that it was
> built by a (no surprise) European company using (no surprise)
> hutchentoot. Can someone point this example out to me (if one can make
> any sense of what I'm talking about)?

Hm. I think I remember the example you are referring to. It was an
ajax-based "desktop" system; you could open, close, resize, drag
windows (which were html divs with the usual window decorations)... it
had several built-in apps, among which a simple text editor, an online
repl, online documentation, and some kind of game (sudoku?
minesweeper?)... unfortunately I can't remember its name :( I do
remember that one of its authors posted here, and he had the link to
the website in his signature: if he still reads c.l.l. he might
recognize his software and give you better info.

hth,
Alessio
From: Rupert Swarbrick
--=-=-=

Jeff Shrager <········@gmail.com> writes:

> A couple years ago I saw a highly ajaxy lisp-based browser gizmo that
> was essentially a whole window system built into the browser -- or at
> least recursively embedded browsers inside the main one. I've tried a
> few obvious searches of c.l.l., but can't find it. I think that it was
> built by a (no surprise) European company using (no surprise)
> hutchentoot. Can someone point this example out to me (if one can make
> any sense of what I'm talking about)?

There's HOP, but I'm not sure whether that's what you're talking about.

http://hop.inria.fr/

Rupert

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--
From: ···············@space.at
                             Hello Jeff,
I do recall something which matches your description, maybe it was
hyperstring.net? Unfortunately, the web site no longer exists and the few snapshots on
  http://web.archive.org/web/20070110211903/http://www.hyperstring.net/
are not very useful.

There were some posts on comp.lang.lisp:
http://groups.google.at/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/332cc76ca6208712/19fde72a537acc07?hl=de&q=%22hyperstring.net%22+group:comp.lang.lisp#19fde72a537acc07

http://groups.google.at/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/c65dc57ef990ba72/b24fb42b1cad4039?hl=de#b24fb42b1cad4039
"We just moved our lewis product into Second Life, but the server
behind it is still Lisp." This explains some of the snapshots on the
wayback machine.

                                hope this helps
                                    Roland
From: Alessio Stalla
On Apr 14, 4:56 pm, ···············@space.at wrote:
>                              Hello Jeff,
> I do recall something which matches your description, maybe it was
> hyperstring.net? Unfortunately, the web site no longer exists and the few snapshots on
>  http://web.archive.org/web/20070110211903/http://www.hyperstring.net/
> are not very useful.

That's the one I was thinking about. Not sure about Jeff of course.

Ale