From: axtens
Subject: [ANN] New posting on Codeaholic: [newLISP] restart-router
G'day everyone

Another one. http://codeaholic.blogspot.com/2009/04/newlisp-restart-router.html

Kind regards,
Bruce.

From: Tamas K Papp
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:38:54 -0700, axtens wrote:

> G'day everyone
>
> Another one.
> http://codeaholic.blogspot.com/2009/04/newlisp-restart-router.html

Hi Bruce,

I am happy that you enjoy programming, but I don't really see the
purpose of announcing every single code snippet on C.L.L - they are
not that interesting.  If you have questions, you should ask them
here, but otherwise those who are interested in the code snippets can
just subscribe to your RSS feed.

Tamas
From: axtens
On Apr 12, 7:20 pm, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am happy that you enjoy programming, but I don't really see the
> purpose of announcing every single code snippet on C.L.L - they are
> not that interesting.  If you have questions, you should ask them
> here, but otherwise those who are interested in the code snippets can
> just subscribe to your RSS feed.

Tamas,

I must confess, you do have a valid point. There's a lot of fluff and
nonsense floating around in c.l.l. already without me adding to it.
Mind you, how are those who are interested in subscribing to my RSS
feed going to know that it's out there to be subscribed to if I don't
advertise its existence?

Maybe I should just stick to bothering the amazingly patient folk at
comp.lang.misc

Kind regards,
Bruce.
From: Tamas K Papp
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 06:47:07 -0700, axtens wrote:

> On Apr 12, 7:20 pm, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am happy that you enjoy programming, but I don't really see the
>> purpose of announcing every single code snippet on C.L.L - they are not
>> that interesting.  If you have questions, you should ask them here, but
>> otherwise those who are interested in the code snippets can just
>> subscribe to your RSS feed.
>
> Tamas,
>
> I must confess, you do have a valid point. There's a lot of fluff and
> nonsense floating around in c.l.l. already without me adding to it. Mind
> you, how are those who are interested in subscribing to my RSS feed
> going to know that it's out there to be subscribed to if I don't
> advertise its existence?

Well, you have already posted twice, so those who are interested would
know about it, wouldn't they?

You could argue that this does not apply to newcomers.  In that case,
one could generally suggest the feed to planet.lisp.org.  However, I
don't think your blog qualifies to be of general interest - at least I
don't find that I am learning anything from it (this does not imply
anything bad of course, only that your examples do not display
anything interesting from a programmer's point of view).

However, you could advertise your blog on newLisp forums instead.

Tamas
From: Kenneth Tilton
Tamas K Papp wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:38:54 -0700, axtens wrote:
>
>> G'day everyone
>>
>> Another one.
>> http://codeaholic.blogspot.com/2009/04/newlisp-restart-router.html
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> I am happy that you enjoy programming, but I don't really see the
> purpose of announcing every single code snippet on C.L.L - they are
> not that interesting.  If you have questions, you should ask them
> here, but otherwise those who are interested in the code snippets can
> just subscribe to your RSS feed.

egad, man, someone finally talks about programming in this stupid NG and
you want to rain on the parade?!

kt
From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2009-04-12, Tamas K Papp <······@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:38:54 -0700, axtens wrote:
>
>> G'day everyone
>>
>> Another one.
>> http://codeaholic.blogspot.com/2009/04/newlisp-restart-router.html
>
> Hi Bruce,

Please don't be an unwitting accomplice to spam by replying to it. I woudln't
even see it, were it not for your cooperation.

Inviting people to visit blogspot sites is spam, even if it appears to be
on topic.

It's almost exactly the same thing like ``CHEAP REPLICA WATCHES'' or ``N1KE
SHOES''.
From: axtens
On Apr 13, 1:25 am, Kaz Kylheku <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Inviting people to visit blogspot sites is spam, even if it appears to be
> on topic.
>
> It's almost exactly the same thing like ``CHEAP REPLICA WATCHES'' or ``N1KE
> SHOES''.

Almost exactly but not quite. I've been running Code-a-holic since
2005. Aside from a bit of Google AdSense (in a vain attempt to
generate a little extra income) there's nothing about cheap replica
watches and Nike shoes there.

Kind regards,
Bruce.
From: Kazimir Majorinc
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:42:35 +0200, axtens <············@gmail.com>

> Almost exactly but not quite. I've been running Code-a-holic since
> 2005. Aside from a bit of Google AdSense (in a vain attempt to
> generate a little extra income) there's nothing about cheap replica
> watches and Nike shoes there.
>
> Kind regards,
> Bruce.

Blog is product related to Lisp, just like implementations,
programming tools, books or conferences are previously
announced on this newsgroup.

My guess is that people who protest actually dislike
Newlisp and try to bully you out. It is another reason
to continue.

--
Blog:    http://kazimirmajorinc.blogspot.com
WWW:     http://www.instprog.com
From: William James
Kazimir Majorinc wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:42:35 +0200, axtens <············@gmail.com>
>
> > Almost exactly but not quite. I've been running Code-a-holic since
> > 2005. Aside from a bit of Google AdSense (in a vain attempt to
> > generate a little extra income) there's nothing about cheap replica
> > watches and Nike shoes there.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Bruce.
>
> Blog is product related to Lisp, just like implementations,
> programming tools, books or conferences are previously
> announced on this newsgroup.
>
> My guess is that people who protest actually dislike
> Newlisp and try to bully you out. It is another reason
> to continue.

Yes, the CommuneLisp hyenas pretend that they own this group.

--
Common Lisp is a significantly ugly language.  --- Dick Gabriel
The good news is, it's not Lisp that sucks, but Common Lisp.
From: eric-and-jane-smith
axtens <············@gmail.com> wrote in
·········································@d25g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

> Almost exactly but not quite. I've been running Code-a-holic since
> 2005. Aside from a bit of Google AdSense (in a vain attempt to
> generate a little extra income) there's nothing about cheap replica
> watches and Nike shoes there.

A good compromise, to make it clear that spam is not your intent, would be
to include the code itself in your message, and not just a link to it.
From: axtens
On Apr 14, 7:01 am, "eric-and-jane-smith" <·······@nospam.com> wrote:
> A good compromise, to make it clear that spam is not your intent, would be
> to include the code itself in your message, and not just a link to it.

Thus turning comp.lang.lisp into a weblog? I suppose the compromise
there would be not to include the entire blog posting, but enough to
assure readers that the link is not dangerous.

Alternatively, everyone could just get used to the fact that there's
this weirdo in Australia called Bruce Axtens who keeps putting links
to his weblog here every time he posts something about newLISP.
comp.lang.ada, comp.lang.fortran and the other language lists I haunt
have almost got to that point.

Kind regards,
Bruce.
From: Pillsy
On Apr 13, 11:04 pm, axtens <············@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 7:01 am, "eric-and-jane-smith" <·······@nospam.com> wrote:

> > A good compromise, to make it clear that spam is not your intent, would be
> > to include the code itself in your message, and not just a link to it.

> Thus turning comp.lang.lisp into a weblog?

As long as what you're posting has some relevance (and I while I don't
*like* newLISP, I think it's relevant to c.l.l) and you engage in the
conversations your posts provoke, this is a much, much healthier
approach than just posting the subject line and a URL.

Cheers,
Pillsy
From: axtens
On Apr 14, 11:40 am, Pillsy <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 11:04 pm, axtens <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 14, 7:01 am, "eric-and-jane-smith" <·······@nospam.com> wrote:
> > > A good compromise, to make it clear that spam is not your intent, would be
> > > to include the code itself in your message, and not just a link to it.
> > Thus turning comp.lang.lisp into a weblog?
>
> As long as what you're posting has some relevance (and I while I don't
> *like* newLISP, I think it's relevant to c.l.l) and you engage in the
> conversations your posts provoke, this is a much, much healthier
> approach than just posting the subject line and a URL.

Okay, I think I can live with that.

Kind regards,
Bruce.
From: axtens