From: Matthew D. Swank
Subject: Google App Engine now supporting the JVM
Someone has even posted a Clojure based tutorial using the Java
version of the App Engine SDK:
http://elhumidor.blogspot.com/2009/04/clojure-on-google-appengine.html.
However, I was wondering if anyone had tried using the App Engine
(SDK) with ABCL?

Matt

From: Alessio Stalla
Subject: Re: Google App Engine now supporting the JVM
On Apr 8, 11:16 am, "Matthew D. Swank" <··················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Someone has even posted a Clojure based tutorial using the Java
> version of the App Engine SDK:http://elhumidor.blogspot.com/2009/04/clojure-on-google-appengine.html.
> However, I was wondering if anyone had tried using the App Engine
> (SDK) with ABCL?

I haven't tried (I haven't got an AppEngine account). Here
http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-language-on-app.html
they mention that Java code runs in some kind of sandbox, and I don't
know how well it plays with ABCL and its use & abuse of the
classloader (I had some problems with security when I tried running
ABCL as a Java Webstart app. I managed to circumvent it, but I don't
know if it's possible under AppEngine). However, I'd like to try it...

Alessio
From: Alessio Stalla
On Apr 8, 12:11 pm, Alessio Stalla <·············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 11:16 am, "Matthew D. Swank" <··················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Someone has even posted a Clojure based tutorial using the Java
> > version of the App Engine SDK:http://elhumidor.blogspot.com/2009/04/clojure-on-google-appengine.html.
> > However, I was wondering if anyone had tried using the App Engine
> > (SDK) with ABCL?
>
> I haven't tried (I haven't got an AppEngine account). Herehttp://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/04/seriously-this-time-new-l...
> they mention that Java code runs in some kind of sandbox, and I don't
> know how well it plays with ABCL and its use & abuse of the
> classloader (I had some problems with security when I tried running
> ABCL as a Java Webstart app. I managed to circumvent it, but I don't
> know if it's possible under AppEngine). However, I'd like to try it...

Hmm... from http://code.google.com/intl/it-IT/appengine/docs/whatisgoogleappengine.html
("The Sandbox"):

- "An application can only access other computers on the Internet
through the provided URL fetch and email services. Other computers can
only connect to the application by making HTTP (or HTTPS) requests on
the standard ports." - i.e. no remote coding via Swank

- "An application cannot write to the file system. An app can read
files, but only files uploaded with the application code. The app must
use the App Engine datastore, memcache or other services for all data
that persists between requests." - ABCL's compiler relies heavily on
temporary files, so using the runtime compiler on AppEngine is
currently impossible.

- "Application code only runs in response to a web request or a cron
job, and must return response data within 30 seconds in any case. A
request handler cannot spawn a sub-process or execute code after the
response has been sent." - Don't know if I'm interpreting it
correctly, but if this means you have to launch a fresh copy of ABCL
for each request, it's hardly usable. ABCL (as all CLs, I guess) keeps
a lot of state in memory, plus it relies a lot on autoloading (first
call of a function is possibly much slower), and currently has no dump/
restore-image functionality...

It seems to me that Google AppEngine is heavily oriented towards
"scripting", request-response-oriented languages (in fact, it started
supporting only Python)...

Alessio
From: André Thieme
Matthew D. Swank schrieb:
> Someone has even posted a Clojure based tutorial using the Java
> version of the App Engine SDK:
> http://elhumidor.blogspot.com/2009/04/clojure-on-google-appengine.html.

That is the posting of John Hume. One of his work mates posted this:
http://fragmental.tw/2009/04/08/clojure-on-google-app-engine/

Andr�
--
Lisp is not dead. It�s just the URL that has changed:
http://clojure.org/
From: namekuseijin
On Apr 8, 7:44 pm, André Thieme <address.good.until.
···········@justmail.de> wrote:
> Matthew D. Swank schrieb:
>
> > Someone has even posted a Clojure based tutorial using the Java
> > version of the App Engine SDK:
> >http://elhumidor.blogspot.com/2009/04/clojure-on-google-appengine.html.
>
> That is the posting of John Hume. One of his work mates posted this:http://fragmental.tw/2009/04/08/clojure-on-google-app-engine/
>
> André