From: Phil Armitage
Subject: ANN: ABLE 0.19 + screencast
ABLE is a Common Lisp editor bundled with a compiler and a selection
of open source libraries. It can be downloaded from http://phil.nullable.eu/
for Mac, Linux and Windows.

Version 0.19 fixes a number of bugs and adds a few new libraries. I've
also made a short screencast of ABLE in use.

--
Phil

From: Kazimir Majorinc
Subject: Re: ANN: ABLE 0.19 + screencast
Thanks. Because of simplicity it is my
first choice when I want to try something
in CL.

--
Blog:    http://kazimirmajorinc.blogspot.com
WWW:     http://www.instprog.com
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 4, 9:54 pm, Phil Armitage <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
> ABLE is a Common Lisp editor bundled with a compiler and a selection
> of open source libraries. It can be downloaded fromhttp://phil.nullable.eu/
> for Mac, Linux and Windows.
>
> Version 0.19 fixes a number of bugs and adds a few new libraries. I've
> also made a short screencast of ABLE in use.
>
> --
> Phil

Nice video Phil. What happened about adding File and such menus on the
ide and shipping with sbcl instead of clisp on windows?
Do you plan them for some othe release or decided to keep i as it is?

cheers
bobi
From: Phil Armitage
On 8 Apr, 08:43, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi bobi,

> Nice video Phil.

Thanks...seven takes for seven minutes of video...I don't know how the
people who do hour long ones make so few mistakes :-)

> What happened about adding File and such menus

Unfortunately it was a case of blink and you miss them. They were
briefly added but there is a small bug somewhere in the interaction
between LTK and TkAqua which crashes the whole application. There is a
hacky workaround for this but as the LTK team are working on a new
release, and are aware of this bug, there's a chance they may come up
with something cleaner. Obviously I could special case the code and
just not display the menu in OSX but I like to keep it consistent
across all platforms, mainly due to documentation laziness on my part!

> shipping with sbcl instead of clisp on windows?

I generally ship with what I consider to be the best open source
compiler on each platform. I still think that's CLISP on Windows
although I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. SBCL does seem to be
fine on Windows although I think the last time I upgraded, I still got
the warning message suggesting that the SBCL devs themselves are not
entirely ready to call it stable.

I think before you've mentioned that your main interest in SBCL on
Windows was for threading but I don't think the Windows port supports
threads. But again, I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

Interestingly, I'm shipping CCL on OSX and Linux. Unfortunately ABLE
will not run in CCL on Windows at the moment and I've not had time to
look into why this is. But that is an option for the future on all
platforms.

Note also that due to the modular packaging of ABLE, it's very easy to
switch compilers. But in the future I could do more of a download
matrix of compiler vs OS and let people choose. It's just massively
more testing and deployment work...

Phil
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Apr 8, 11:24 am, Phil Armitage <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 Apr, 08:43, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi bobi,
>
> > Nice video Phil.
>
> Thanks...seven takes for seven minutes of video...I don't know how the
> people who do hour long ones make so few mistakes :-)
>
> > What happened about adding File and such menus
>
> Unfortunately it was a case of blink and you miss them. They were
> briefly added but there is a small bug somewhere in the interaction
> between LTK and TkAqua which crashes the whole application. There is a
> hacky workaround for this but as the LTK team are working on a new
> release, and are aware of this bug, there's a chance they may come up
> with something cleaner. Obviously I could special case the code and
> just not display the menu in OSX but I like to keep it consistent
> across all platforms, mainly due to documentation laziness on my part!
>
> > shipping with sbcl instead of clisp on windows?
>
> I generally ship with what I consider to be the best open source
> compiler on each platform. I still think that's CLISP on Windows
> although I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. SBCL does seem to be
> fine on Windows although I think the last time I upgraded, I still got
> the warning message suggesting that the SBCL devs themselves are not
> entirely ready to call it stable.
>
> I think before you've mentioned that your main interest in SBCL on
> Windows was for threading but I don't think the Windows port supports
> threads. But again, I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.
>
> Interestingly, I'm shipping CCL on OSX and Linux. Unfortunately ABLE
> will not run in CCL on Windows at the moment and I've not had time to
> look into why this is. But that is an option for the future on all
> platforms.
>
> Note also that due to the modular packaging of ABLE, it's very easy to
> switch compilers. But in the future I could do more of a download
> matrix of compiler vs OS and let people choose. It's just massively
> more testing and deployment work...
>
> Phil

Thanks for the explanation Phil. I know about  sbcl limitations but I
was asking because it creates sort of chicken and egg problem more
people will use it when it gets better and developers are not
motivated to make it better until more people are using it. So I was
hoping that ABLE could help to brake the circular loop.

cheers
bobi
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/slobodan/blazeski
From: Thomas A. Russ
Phil Armitage <···············@gmail.com> writes:

> On 8 Apr, 08:43, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Nice video Phil.
>
> Thanks...seven takes for seven minutes of video...I don't know how the
> people who do hour long ones make so few mistakes :-)

Lots more takes.

The truly impressive guys are live on stage....

From: Elena
On Apr 8, 9:24 am, Phil Armitage <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think before you've mentioned that your main interest in SBCL on
> Windows was for threading but I don't think the Windows port supports
> threads. But again, I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.

Do you need native threads on Windows? Then ECL is your cup of tea.
From: BubbaFrench
On 4 ÁÐÒ, 23:54, Phil Armitage <···············@gmail.com> wrote:
> ABLE is a Common Lisp editor bundled with a compiler and a selection
> of open source libraries. It can be downloaded fromhttp://phil.nullable.eu/
> for Mac, Linux and Windows.
>
> Version 0.19 fixes a number of bugs and adds a few new libraries. I've
> also made a short screencast of ABLE in use.
>
> --
> Phil

I have downloaded it, recompiled .lisp files for my version of CLisp
(2.47). It does not seem to work.
On first launch, it fired an exception or an error or something like
that. On consequent launches it was not responding.
I'm using windows XP.
From: Phil Armitage
On 8 Apr, 16:37, BubbaFrench <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have downloaded it, recompiled .lisp files for my version of CLisp
> (2.47). It does not seem to work.
> On first launch, it fired an exception or an error or something like
> that. On consequent launches it was not responding.
> I'm using windows XP.

I hate to use the old programmer defence mechanism but it works on my
machine:

  http://phil.nullable.eu/files/able-clisp-2.47-winxp.png

Did you clear out all of the .fas and .lib files for ABLE, LTK, CL-FAD
and TRIVIAL-GRAY-STREAMS?

If you're still having problems send me an email or I can bundle a new
version with 2.47 after I've done a little regression testing with it.

Phil
From: Kazimir Majorinc
On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:36:28 +0200, Phil Armitage
<···············@gmail.com> wrote:

Phil,

Unfortunately, this version doesn't work for me either (Vista 64). Maybe
it is not bad idea to post the link on older versions as well, for those
for whom new one doesn't work. There are so many OS-es + service packs
combinations that something unpredictable could always happen.

Any case, thank you.

From: Phil Armitage
On Apr 9, 3:34 pm, "Kazimir Majorinc" <·····@email.address> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this version doesn't work for me either (Vista 64).

Sorry you're having problems. The Windows version accounts for about
60% of the downloads but 100% of the bug reports!

Unfortunately I've never used Vista although people have told me they
use ABLE with it in the past. The only things I can suggest are:

1) Delete any .fas and .lib files in the systems folder under ABLE, CL-
FAD, LTK and TRIVIAL-GRAY-STREAMS. Any that made it out in the release
will have been compiled on 32-bit XP...I don't know if that's a binary
incompatibility?

2) Try starting up bin/wish.exe and seeing if it pops up a window. If
it doesn't then the problem is on the Tk side of the pipe (goto 3). If
it does then the problem is on the Lisp side (goto 4).

3) Quit all system tray programs. Apparently Tk doesn't like some but
this may just be a myth as I've never seen a definitive list, just
some vague comments.

4) Download / compile a 64-bit version of CLISP and try with that.

5) Try on a 32-bit version of XP if you can.

Sorry I realise that's not much help...

Phil