From: Manuel Serrano
Subject: ANN: HOP-1.9.0
Hop is a programming language designed for the Web 2.0. It is a
higher-order language for programming interactive web applications
such as web agendas, web galleries, music players, etc. Hop can be
viewed as a replacement for traditional graphical toolkits. HOP is
implemented as a Web broker, i.e., a Web server that may act
indifferently as a regular Web server or Web proxy.

HOP features:

     * a versatile Web server supporting HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1,
     * an optimizing native code compiler for server code,
     * an on-the-fly Javascript compiler for client code,
     * an extensive set of widgets for programming fancy and portable
       Web GUIs,
     * a native multimedia support for enabling ubiquitous Web multimedia
       applications.
     * fast WebDAV level 1 support,
     * an extensive set of libraries for the mail, calendars, databases,
       Web technologies, ...

HOP is available at:

   http://hop.inria.fr

The release 1.9.0 is a major release. It highlights are:

    * new linguistic forms (e.g., "comet" server events).

    * new APIs (e.g., multimedia, cryptography, ...).

    * new implementations (e.g., new fast Web server scheduling,
      new support for keep-alive connections, new compilation
      techniques, ...).

Announce of previous Hop release (1.8.6):

The release 1.8.6 is a minor release that fixes minor installation bugs.

     * Minor bug fixes.

Announce of previous Hop release (1.8.5):

The release 1.8.5 is a minor release that fixes minor installation bugs.

     * It mostly contains fixes that enable packaging Hop is standard
       Linux distributions.

Announce of previous Hop release (1.8.4):

The release 1.8.4 is a minor release that fixes two important problems:

     1- Hz timeout was expressed in micro-seconds instead of
        milli-seconds. Hence, synchronizations and installations where
        frequently failing because of timeouts.

     2  Server events response text was not correct (although the
        value of server events was).

It also adds a new feature to WEBLETS (the weblet in charge of making
weblets easily available on Web) which is now able to automatically generate
web pages.

Announce of previous Hop release (1.8.3):

The release 1.8.3 is a minor release. It mostly fixes small glitches
such as:

     * Eliminate multiple file authentications.
     * Bad support of inlined resources.
     * Broken proxy error messages.
     * ...

It also adds a new feature to WEBLETS (the weblet in charge of making
weblets easily available on Web) which is now able to automatically generate
web pages.

Announce of previous Hop release (1.8.0):

     1- A new packaging system (Hz) that allows end users to
        run and install Hop programs with a single click.
     2- Support for MathML (with an extension that allows users to use
        TeX syntax).
     3- Support for SVG (with an extension that allows users to inline
        SVG external images inside Hop documents).
     4- Pre-compiled JVM version is now fully compatible with the native
        version.

Announce of previous Hop release (1.7.0):

     1- Fast WebDAV level 1 support.
     2- Various new APIs (such as audio support).
     3- Support for fast server events (server-to-client communications).

Announce of previous Hop release (1.6.0):

     1- Support for history and bookmarking.
     2- MacOS X port (single-threaded).

Announce of previous Hop release (1.5.0):

The version 1.5.0 improves the former version 1.4.0 in many directions.
The three major improvements are:

     1- Support all major browsers (Firefox, Safari, IE7, ...).
     2- Add new widgets.
     3- Improved authentication mechanisms.

From: namekuseijin
Subject: Re: ANN: HOP-1.9.0
Whoa!  How have I missed this?!  It's frakking amazing!

http://hop.inria.fr/#home-notepad=np:1

A web2.0 virtual desktop complete with games and a Scheme REPL! :)
From: Steve Graham
On Sep 26, 9:27 am, Manuel Serrano <··············@Inria.fr> wrote:
> [...]
>      2- Support for MathML (with an extension that allows users to use
>         TeX syntax).
>      3- Support for SVG (with an extension that allows users to inline
>         SVG external images inside Hop documents).
>      4- Pre-compiled JVM version is now fully compatible with the native
>         version.
>
> Announce of previous Hop release (1.7.0):
>
>      1- Fast WebDAV level 1 support.
>      2- Various new APIs (such as audio support).
>      3- Support for fast server events (server-to-client communications).
>
> Announce of previous Hop release (1.6.0):
>
>      1- Support for history and bookmarking.
>      2- MacOS X port (single-threaded).
>
> Announce of previous Hop release (1.5.0):
>
> The version 1.5.0 improves the former version 1.4.0 in many directions.
> The three major improvements are:
>
>      1- Support all major browsers (Firefox, Safari, IE7, ...).

What am I missing?

From the REPL:
:=> (define factorial2
  (lambda (n)
    (if (= n 0) 1
        (* n (factorial2 (- n 1))))))

#<procedure hash-3>
:=> (factorial2 5)
*** [object Error]
:=>
From: namekuseijin
On Sep 26, 2:46 pm, Steve Graham <···················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> >      2- Support for MathML (with an extension that allows users to use
> >         TeX syntax).
> >      3- Support for SVG (with an extension that allows users to inline
> >         SVG external images inside Hop documents).
> >      4- Pre-compiled JVM version is now fully compatible with the native
> >         version.
>
> > Announce of previous Hop release (1.7.0):
>
> >      1- Fast WebDAV level 1 support.
> >      2- Various new APIs (such as audio support).
> >      3- Support for fast server events (server-to-client communications).
>
> > Announce of previous Hop release (1.6.0):
>
> >      1- Support for history and bookmarking.
> >      2- MacOS X port (single-threaded).
>
> > Announce of previous Hop release (1.5.0):
>
> > The version 1.5.0 improves the former version 1.4.0 in many directions.
> > The three major improvements are:
>
> >      1- Support all major browsers (Firefox, Safari, IE7, ...).

It seems the REPL is limited, you can't define globally, just inside
lets.

Anyway, it looks like a very good web framework for creating fluid
web2.0 rich interfaces by means of server-side compiled Scheme.