From: viper-2
Subject: Happy Birthday GNU!
For all of September, the Free Software Foundation is celebrating the
25th anniversary of the GNU Project, which galvanised the Free
Software Movement that freely gave us GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux on which
we run EMACS, Elisp, GCL, Clisp, SBCL, CMUCL, and other Lisp packages.

Bill Clementson (another member of this group, http://bc.tech.coop/blog/index.html)
drew my attention to the film “Happy Birthday to GNU” by Stephen Fry,
which announced the anniversary:

http://www.gnu.org/fry/

I gather you can crash the party with Richard Stallman (GNU founder
and revolutionary extraordinaire) and the rest of the FSF herd here:

http://www.gnu.org/graphics/fsfsociety/party.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GNU!!

--agt

From: namekuseijin
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday GNU!
From: Kenny
namekuseijin wrote:
> Happy GNU/Birthday! :D

Now die.

kt
From: Stefan Scholl
Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> namekuseijin wrote:
>> Happy GNU/Birthday! :D
>
> Now die.

Wait. LHC is just at 7% at the moment.

--
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/
From: namekuseijin
On Sep 10, 9:53 am, Stefan Scholl <······@no-spoon.de> wrote:
> Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > namekuseijin wrote:
> >> Happy GNU/Birthday! :D
>
> > Now die.
>
> Wait. LHC is just at 7% at the moment.

Oh, sh!t!  GNU gets to the 25th birthday still without a kernel and
worldwide dominance and already the world is going to end??! :D
From: rock69
On Sep 9, 6:24 pm, viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> wrote:
> For all of September, the Free Software Foundation is celebrating the
> 25th anniversary of the GNU Project, which galvanised the Free
> Software Movement that freely gave us GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux on which
> we run EMACS, Elisp, GCL, Clisp, SBCL, CMUCL, and other Lisp packages.
>
> Bill Clementson (another member of this group,http://bc.tech.coop/blog/index.html)
> drew my attention to the film “Happy Birthday to GNU” by Stephen Fry,
> which announced the anniversary:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/fry/
>
> I gather you can crash the party with Richard Stallman (GNU founder
> and revolutionary extraordinaire) and the rest of the FSF herd here:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/graphics/fsfsociety/party.jpg
>
> HAPPY BIRTHDAY GNU!!
>
> --agt

A very happy birthday to GNU, and thanks for all that you've
accomplished.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On Sep 9, 6:24 pm, viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> wrote:
> For all of September, the Free Software Foundation is celebrating the
> 25th anniversary of the GNU Project, which galvanised the Free
> Software Movement that freely gave us GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux on which
> we run EMACS, Elisp, GCL, Clisp, SBCL, CMUCL, and other Lisp packages.
>
> Bill Clementson (another member of this group,http://bc.tech.coop/blog/index.html)
> drew my attention to the film “Happy Birthday to GNU” by Stephen Fry,
> which announced the anniversary:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/fry/
>
> I gather you can crash the party with Richard Stallman (GNU founder
> and revolutionary extraordinaire) and the rest of the FSF herd here:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/graphics/fsfsociety/party.jpg
>
> HAPPY BIRTHDAY GNU!!
>
> --agt

Yes, Happy Birthday to the project that promised hippy lisp machines
and didn't even deliver Unix. Fricken text editor and a bad C
compiler. Uh, nice. (Ooh, and ls in color, OMG FTW ROFL!)
From: Matthias Buelow
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

> Fricken text editor

Hey.. Gnu ed isn't that bad...

A bit baroque, though, but that's to be expected from Gnu.
From: Christian Lynbech

viper-2> ... that freely gave us GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux on which
viper-2> we run EMACS, Elisp, GCL, Clisp, SBCL, CMUCL, and other Lisp packages.

It is an irony on a cosmological scale that RMS, who grew up with Lisp
and Lisp Machines, probably is one of the most guilty when it comes to
the sad over-exponation that the C programming language has gotten over
the past two decades.

If the GNU project had not started out with making a C compiler AND
doing such a good job of it AND making it all free, it could be that the
world of programming would look rather different today :-)

But happy birthday all the same!

Christian Lynbech       | christian ··@ defun #\. dk
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

From: namekuseijin
On Sep 9, 3:52 pm, Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> wrote:
> If the GNU project had not started out with making a C compiler AND
> doing such a good job of it AND making it all free, it could be that the
> world of programming would look rather different today :-)

Yes, it would look positively Microsoft-only.  oh wait...
From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2008-09-09, Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> wrote:

> viper-2> ... that freely gave us GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux on which
> viper-2> we run EMACS, Elisp, GCL, Clisp, SBCL, CMUCL, and other Lisp packages.
>
> It is an irony on a cosmological scale that RMS, who grew up with Lisp
> and Lisp Machines, probably is one of the most guilty when it comes to
> the sad over-exponation that the C programming language has gotten over
> the past two decades.

That's rather an overstatement. If the popularity of C can be blamed on just
one trend, it would be its successful migration from Unix mini's and
workstations to MS-DOS PC's, Apple Macintoshes and other consumer hardware. The
catalyst for that was the availability of compilers from companies like
Borland.

C was already entrenched in the PC arena before GNU was on anyone's radar.  At
that time, GNU didn't run on anything that could be called consumer hardware.

How was the Linux kernel developed initially? It used the minix environment.
That ran on 8086 hardware, and the compiler was: Borland Turbo C.

Many of today's seasoned hackers had their first contact with C on a DOS box,
not a Unix workstation. Or perhaps a Macintosh, Atari ST, Amiga or maybe even
on something like a Commodore 64 or Apple ][.

The world had drifted out to C long ago ... :)
From: Andrew Reilly
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:06:42 +0000, Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> How was the Linux kernel developed initially? It used the minix
> environment. That ran on 8086 hardware, and the compiler was: Borland
> Turbo C.

I don't know enough Linux history to know whether or not Borland Turbo C
was involved, but I do know that that wasn't Minix's compiler.  Minix had/
has its own C compiler, based on the Amsterdam Compiler Kit.  I do
remember GCC being ported to it soon after Minix itself was ported to 32-
bit hardware.  Still isn't the system compiler though: ACK all the way.

--
Andrew
From: Stefan Scholl
Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> wrote:
> If the GNU project had not started out with making a C compiler AND
> doing such a good job of it AND making it all free, it could be that the
> world of programming would look rather different today :-)

My first C compiler wasn't from GNU. It was Lattice C 4.01 (later
SAS/C ...) on Commodore Amiga.

Funny thing: As it was bigger than Aztec C (more files, tools,
etc.) it wasn't used that much by people who don't want to pay
for their tools. And when you saw bad C code then, you could be
sure it needed Aztec C to compile.

(Nope, the Lisp compilers are still too expensive in comparison.)

--
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/
From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
On Sep 10, 8:52 am, Stefan Scholl <······@no-spoon.de> wrote:
> Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> wrote:
> > If the GNU project had not started out with making a C compiler AND
> > doing such a good job of it AND making it all free, it could be that the
> > world of programming would look rather different today :-)
>
> My first C compiler wasn't from GNU. It was Lattice C 4.01 (later
> SAS/C ...) on Commodore Amiga.
>
> Funny thing: As it was bigger than Aztec C (more files, tools,
> etc.) it wasn't used that much by people who don't want to pay
> for their tools. And when you saw bad C code then, you could be
> sure it needed Aztec C to compile.
>
> (Nope, the Lisp compilers are still too expensive in comparison.)

Lattice C? Ahh. Good times. I've still got my copies of
the OS docs, and I miss writing code to work with Intuition.
(Actually I had my Amiga up and running a week ago, needs
a hard drive, but other than that everything seems to work fine.)

Of course, I also had the <choke/> Super C compiler for the 64.

---
Geoff
From: Didier Verna
viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> wrote:

> I gather you can crash the party with Richard Stallman (GNU founder
> and revolutionary extraordinaire) and the rest of the FSF herd here:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/graphics/fsfsociety/party.jpg

  So the trick is to actually be standing up... I should have known
better. I had Richard home for dinner once, and he spent the whole
evening with the plate on top of his computer, alternating between
eating a mouthful and reading his mail ;-)

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

EPITA/LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire, 94276 Le Kremlin-Bic�tre, France
Tel. +33 (0)1 44 08 01 85       Fax. +33 (0)1 53 14 59 22
From: viper-2
On Sep 10, 3:30 am, Didier Verna <······@lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
> viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> wrote:
> > I gather you can crash the party with Richard Stallman (GNU founder
> > and revolutionary extraordinaire) and the rest of the FSF herd here:
>
> >http://www.gnu.org/graphics/fsfsociety/party.jpg
>
>   So the trick is to actually be standing up... I should have known
> better. I had Richard home for dinner once, and he spent the whole
> evening with the plate on top of his computer, alternating between
> eating a mouthful and reading his mail ;-)

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't yet had the pleasure of having RMS
over for dinner; standing might not be necessary, but I will remember
to keep all working computers out of sight in favour of scintillating
conversation.;-)

--agt
From: Vend
On 9 Set, 18:24, viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> wrote:
> For all of September, the Free Software Foundation is celebrating the
> 25th anniversary of the GNU Project, which galvanised the Free
> Software Movement that freely gave us GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux on which
> we run EMACS, Elisp, GCL, Clisp, SBCL, CMUCL, and other Lisp packages.

Are they still toying with Hurd?

<snip>
From: viper-2
On Sep 12, 3:40 am, Vend <······@virgilio.it> wrote:
> On 9 Set, 18:24, viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> wrote:
>
> > For all of September, the Free Software Foundation is celebrating the
> > 25th anniversary of the GNU Project, which galvanised the Free
> > Software Movement that freely gave us GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux on which
> > we run EMACS, Elisp, GCL, Clisp, SBCL, CMUCL, and other Lisp packages.
>
> Are they still toying with Hurd?

GNU has never “toyed” with the HURD.  There is no official release
yet, but the HURD is under active development and is available as a
development server and desktop platform from Debian - http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/.
You may find the Official GNU/HURD page at http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/.

The HURD is not yet the most advanced kernel known to the planet
(http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html#advantages) but it is
"real software that works right now ... ". On the documentation page
at http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/docs.html, you will you find links
to a users guide, an FAQ, a Wiki page, mailing lists, and other
reference material.

Join the developers and - run with the HURD!!

--agt
From: namekuseijin
On 12 set, 13:46, viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 3:40 am, Vend <······@virgilio.it> wrote:
> > Are they still toying with Hurd?
>
> GNU has never “toyed” with the HURD.  There is no official release
> yet, but the HURD is under active development

Yes, it has been under active development for the last 20+ years.
It's design and code has changed drastically over the years without
ever getting out of alpha/beta quality or any stable.

> The HURD is not yet the most advanced kernel known to the planet
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html#advantages) but it is
> "real software that works right now ... ".

Those are lies.  Its design is outdated and very 90s and the
implementation never truly worked except for those still living
without sound and 3D cards and most hardware from the last 8 years.

It's a toy and you know it.
From: Vend
On 12 Set, 19:30, namekuseijin <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 set, 13:46, viper-2 <········@mail.infochan.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 12, 3:40 am, Vend <······@virgilio.it> wrote:
> > > Are they still toying with Hurd?
>
> > GNU has never “toyed” with the HURD.  There is no official release
> > yet, but the HURD is under active development
>
> Yes, it has been under active development for the last 20+ years.
> It's design and code has changed drastically over the years without
> ever getting out of alpha/beta quality or any stable.
>
> > The HURD is not yet the most advanced kernel known to the planet
> > (http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html#advantages) but it is
> > "real software that works right now ... ".
>
> Those are lies.  Its design is outdated and very 90s and the
> implementation never truly worked except for those still living
> without sound and 3D cards and most hardware from the last 8 years.

Can't they just wrap the Linux drivers? Or do they have a performance
problem that precludes 3D graphics and good sound?