From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: [OT] Etymology of cons
--=-=-=

So this is really OT, but reading the thread that is happening about
consing made me wonder where the word came from. Presumably construct?
And is that a noun form or a verb form?

I reckoned someone here would know...

Rupert

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: [OT] Etymology of cons
Rupert Swarbrick <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> So this is really OT, but reading the thread that is happening about
> consing made me wonder where the word came from. Presumably construct?
> And is that a noun form or a verb form?
>
> I reckoned someone here would know...

In the sources of LISP 1.5 dated 1962, we find this line:

       TRA     $CONS              CONSTRUCT A LIST

Before that, in the AIM-8 memo (dated 1959), it was called "combine".

Something happened during these three years...

ADVISORY: There is an extremely small but nonzero chance that,
through a process known as "tunneling," this product may
spontaneously disappear from its present location and reappear at
any random place in the universe, including your neighbor's
domicile. The manufacturer will not be responsible for any damages
or inconveniences that may result.
From: Rupert Swarbrick
--=-=-=

···@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Rupert Swarbrick <··········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So this is really OT, but reading the thread that is happening about
>> consing made me wonder where the word came from. Presumably construct?
>> And is that a noun form or a verb form?
>>
>> I reckoned someone here would know...
>
> In the sources of LISP 1.5 dated 1962, we find this line:
>
>        TRA     $CONS              CONSTRUCT A LIST
>
> Before that, in the AIM-8 memo (dated 1959), it was called "combine".
>
> Something happened during these three years...

Ah, thanks! Well it's definitely a verb then.

Rupert

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--
From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2008-09-06, Rupert Swarbrick <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, thanks! Well it's definitely a verb then.

It's also definitely a noun. ``The list (1 2 3) has three conses.''
From: Rob Warnock
Kaz Kylheku  <········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Rupert Swarbrick <··········@gmail.com> wrote:
| > Ah, thanks! Well it's definitely a verb then.
|
| It's also definitely a noun. ``The list (1 2 3) has three conses.''
+---------------

It's *both*, of course!! ;-}

   ;; Note: Each call to FOO conses three conses.
   (DEFUN FOO ()
     (LIST 1 2 3))

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: namekuseijin
Subject: Re: Etymology of cons
On Sep 6, 6:23 pm, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> In the sources of LISP 1.5 dated 1962, we find this line:
>
>        TRA     $CONS              CONSTRUCT A LIST
>
> Before that, in the AIM-8 memo (dated 1959), it was called "combine".
>
> Something happened during these three years...

Good it happened.  Writing (comb hair women) sounds a bit too
feminine.
From: Benjamin L. Russell
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:43:21 -0700 (PDT), namekuseijin
<············@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sep 6, 6:23?pm, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
>wrote:
>> In the sources of LISP 1.5 dated 1962, we find this line:
>>
>> ? ? ? ?TRA ? ? $CONS ? ? ? ? ? ? ?CONSTRUCT A LIST
>>
>> Before that, in the AIM-8 memo (dated 1959), it was called "combine".
>>
>> Something happened during these three years...
>
>Good it happened.  Writing (comb hair women) sounds a bit too
>feminine.

Also, writing (cons on ants 'b 'c 'd 'f 'g 'h 'j 'k 'l 'm 'n 'p 'q 'r
's 't 'v 'w 'x 'y 'z) in DrScheme doubles in teaching consonants, too.

-- Benjamin L. Russell