From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: [Ann] cl-notify
--=-=-=

I've spent most of the day hacking together some library bindings to
libnotify, the Gnome/DBus library which is responsible for popup
notification messages.

Some functionality is missing on purpose (at least in the short term) -
stuff that's heavily based on Gnome/Gtk, since I decided not to use a
Gtk wrapper. At the moment, the only lisp dependency is CFFI.

Less intentionally missing, and the first thing I'll add next, is
support for callbacks - the notification messages can contain buttons
for the user to hit.

Anyway, it's functioning happily and, although it isn't documented very
much except for the occasional docstring, there's a test-suite to mirror
that of the original libnotify.

To try it out, clone the git repository from

   git://repo.or.cz/cl-notify.git

Install the cl-notify.asd by symlinking to your asdf site directory and
issue (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :cl-notify) to load it up.

So the last bit of the advert is an example of how to use it. For really
basic operation,

(dispatch-notification "Summary"
                       :body "Some rather longer content. Blah Blah Blah."
                       :timeout 3000)

and something a bit cleverer

(with-notification n
    ("Replace me!" :timeout 5000)
  (show-notification n)
  (sleep 2)
  (setf (summary n nil) "Replaced")
  (setf (body n) "Here's some new body text."))

Please let me know if you use it and/or find it useful,

Rupert

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--