From: billc
Subject: Vancouver Lisp Users Group meeting for September 2008 - The BKNR 	Common Lisp web application development environment
Hi all,

We've had a few presentations on web application development
environments/frameworks at lispvan. For our September lispvan meeting,
Hans Hübner will be flying over from Berlin (actually, he's coming for
the ICFP conference in Victoria, but has graciously agreed to come
over to Vancouver for the evening while he's in the area) to give us a
presentation on BKNR. BKNR is neat in that it provides it's own object
persistence layer as part of the web application development
environment. It's nice to be able to hear about different web
application development frameworks from the authors/users of those
frameworks and it will be interesting to be able to compare/contrast
BKNR with the others we've seen at lispvan meetings.

We are planning to have the meeting at our new location (with a
projector and a special meeting room!) as the owner of the new cafe
(which is located right next door to the Mac Market) expects the
construction work to be completed by our meeting date. I'll update
this post closer to the meeting date with any changes (in the event
that the new meeting venue isn't ready in time).

Here's the "official" meeting notice:

Topic: The BKNR Common Lisp web application development environment
Presenter: Hans Hübner
Date: Thursday, September 25th, 2008
Time: 7pm - 10pm (or whenever)
Venue: no-name cafe next door to the Mac Market, 2774 West 4th Avenue
(at MacDonald Street), Vancouver
and deploy web applications. It consists of a number of open source
Lisp modules and adds several framework level modules. The goal is to
have a one-stop repository for all base software to aid in easy
deployment and configuration reproducability.

The major component in the BKNR framework is the pure Lisp transaction-
based persistence layer. It provides for in-memory object persistence
and delivers high performance with small development overhead. The web
components of BKNR make it easy to serve persistent objects using HTTP
in XML, HTML or other formats.

The presentation shows the guiding principles for BKNR, architectures
and features of the data store and web components, current
applications and future plans.

The presenter: Hans Hübner has been a hacker for over 20 years. Coming
from an object oriented and system programming background with
extensive commercial development experience in C++ and Perl, he
discovered Common Lisp as his favourite programming language in 2001.
He is currently a freelance consultant with Clozure Associates and ITA
Software. His research interests include persistence systems and
hardware to support dynamic programming.

Some links:
http://bknr.net/
http://vaxbusters.org/workshop/secd.xml
http://headcraft.de/

Join us for a beer/coffee and a chance to see/discuss the BKNR Common
Lisp web application development environment.

Any updates (and a copy of this notice with additional links) will be
posted on my blog: http://bc.tech.coop/blog/080904.html

--
Bill Clementson