From: Mark Tarver
Subject: Announce: release of Qi II
I am pleased to announce the release of Qi II on www.lambdassociates.org.
This new release incorporates

* A complete reimplementation of Qi from the ground up.
* A new license.
* Type secure lazy evaluation on demand.
* Improved programmable syntax.
* 4 speed compiler which utilises type information.
* Improved integration with CL.
* Runs under LispWorks.
* Common functions made polyadic.
* Improved connection to Prolog.
* Rule closures for embedding sequent reasoning into Qi functions.
* Improved handling on dependent types.
* A type secure class system in a library along with FPQi (second
edition).
* Completely documented in 'Functional Programming in Qi (second
edition)'.

To explore these features in more depth

http://www.lambdassociates.org/whatsnew.htm.

Documentation online at http://www.lambdassociates.org/doc.htm
incorporating a manual.

To download, www.lambdassociates.org as usual.

I'm still updating some material on the site including Wikipedia.

Mark

From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Re: Announce: release of Qi II
On Nov 27, 8:02 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the release of Qi II onwww.lambdassociates.org.
> This new release incorporates
>
> * A complete reimplementation of Qi from the ground up.
> * A new license.
> * Type secure lazy evaluation on demand.
> * Improved programmable syntax.
> * 4 speed compiler which utilises type information.
> * Improved integration with CL.
> * Runs under LispWorks.
> * Common functions made polyadic.
> * Improved connection to Prolog.
> * Rule closures for embedding sequent reasoning into Qi functions.
> * Improved handling on dependent types.
> * A type secure class system in a library along with FPQi (second
> edition).
> * Completely documented in 'Functional Programming in Qi (second
> edition)'.
>
> To explore these features in more depth
>
> http://www.lambdassociates.org/whatsnew.htm.
>
> Documentation online athttp://www.lambdassociates.org/doc.htm
> incorporating a manual.
>
> To download,www.lambdassociates.orgas usual.
>
> I'm still updating some material on the site including Wikipedia.
>
> Mark

Congratulations about QiII and your book but do you planning to make
the installation process easier or maybe bundle it with say ABLE or
something else in the near future? The installation instructions
reminds me of the dark age. The last thing that installed like that I
remember is LW under linux, which I never bothered to install, just
because that ugly process.  If you want wide acceptance use installer
or simple unpack and start. If you go for cult marketing than go on
with this installation process.

bobi
P.S.
Are there ebooks for purchase of FP in Qi 2nd edition?
From: Mark Tarver
On 28 Nov, 08:44, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Nov 27, 8:02 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > I am pleased to announce the release of Qi II onwww.lambdassociates.org.
> > This new release incorporates
>
> > * A complete reimplementation of Qi from the ground up.
> > * A new license.
> > * Type secure lazy evaluation on demand.
> > * Improved programmable syntax.
> > * 4 speed compiler which utilises type information.
> > * Improved integration with CL.
> > * Runs under LispWorks.
> > * Common functions made polyadic.
> > * Improved connection to Prolog.
> > * Rule closures for embedding sequent reasoning into Qi functions.
> > * Improved handling on dependent types.
> > * A type secure class system in a library along with FPQi (second
> > edition).
> > * Completely documented in 'Functional Programming in Qi (second
> > edition)'.
>
> > To explore these features in more depth
>
> >http://www.lambdassociates.org/whatsnew.htm.
>
> > Documentation online athttp://www.lambdassociates.org/doc.htm
> > incorporating a manual.
>
> > To download,www.lambdassociates.orgasusual.
>
> > I'm still updating some material on the site including Wikipedia.
>
> > Mark
>
> Congratulations about QiII and your book but do you planning to make
> the installation process easier or maybe bundle it with say ABLE or
> something else in the near future? The installation instructions
> reminds me of the dark age. The last thing that installed like that I
> remember is LW under linux, which I never bothered to install, just
> because that ugly process.  If you want wide acceptance use installer
> or simple unpack and start. If you go for cult marketing than go on
> with this installation process.
>
> bobi
> P.S.
> Are there ebooks for purchase of FP in Qi 2nd edition?- Hide quoted text -

Really?  I thought these instructions were easy.
The installation routine for Qi II is held in the folder Lisp. To
install, first copy your executable CL to the folder Lisp and fire it
up. Type

(LOAD "install.lsp").

This should compile, load and save an executable version of Qi II. To
run it, click on the respective icon.

Mark
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Nov 28, 1:31 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> On 28 Nov, 08:44, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 27, 8:02 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > I am pleased to announce the release of Qi II onwww.lambdassociates.org.
> > > This new release incorporates
>
> > > * A complete reimplementation of Qi from the ground up.
> > > * A new license.
> > > * Type secure lazy evaluation on demand.
> > > * Improved programmable syntax.
> > > * 4 speed compiler which utilises type information.
> > > * Improved integration with CL.
> > > * Runs under LispWorks.
> > > * Common functions made polyadic.
> > > * Improved connection to Prolog.
> > > * Rule closures for embedding sequent reasoning into Qi functions.
> > > * Improved handling on dependent types.
> > > * A type secure class system in a library along with FPQi (second
> > > edition).
> > > * Completely documented in 'Functional Programming in Qi (second
> > > edition)'.
>
> > > To explore these features in more depth
>
> > >http://www.lambdassociates.org/whatsnew.htm.
>
> > > Documentation online athttp://www.lambdassociates.org/doc.htm
> > > incorporating a manual.
>
> > > To download,www.lambdassociates.orgasusual.
>
> > > I'm still updating some material on the site including Wikipedia.
>
> > > Mark
>
> > Congratulations about QiII and your book but do you planning to make
> > the installation process easier or maybe bundle it with say ABLE or
> > something else in the near future? The installation instructions
> > reminds me of the dark age. The last thing that installed like that I
> > remember is LW under linux, which I never bothered to install, just
> > because that ugly process.  If you want wide acceptance use installer
> > or simple unpack and start. If you go for cult marketing than go on
> > with this installation process.
>
> > bobi
> > P.S.
> > Are there ebooks for purchase of FP in Qi 2nd edition?- Hide quoted text -

> Really?  I thought these instructions were easy.
No they're not.  Easy is either:
1. Unpack OR use installer
2. Click on <something> to start using it.

> The installation routine for Qi II is held in the folder Lisp. To
> install, first copy your executable CL to the folder Lisp and fire it
> up. Type
>
> (LOAD "install.lsp").
>
> This should compile, load and save an executable version of Qi II.
And what about providing prebuilt Qi for all those who are using non
personal/enterprise editions of lisp?
I don't care what lisp is used for building it as long as I don't have
to build it myself.

bobi

From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Nov 28, 1:31 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> On 28 Nov, 08:44, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 27, 8:02 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > I am pleased to announce the release of Qi II onwww.lambdassociates.org.
> > > This new release incorporates
>
> > > * A complete reimplementation of Qi from the ground up.
> > > * A new license.
> > > * Type secure lazy evaluation on demand.
> > > * Improved programmable syntax.
> > > * 4 speed compiler which utilises type information.
> > > * Improved integration with CL.
> > > * Runs under LispWorks.
> > > * Common functions made polyadic.
> > > * Improved connection to Prolog.
> > > * Rule closures for embedding sequent reasoning into Qi functions.
> > > * Improved handling on dependent types.
> > > * A type secure class system in a library along with FPQi (second
> > > edition).
> > > * Completely documented in 'Functional Programming in Qi (second
> > > edition)'.
>
> > > To explore these features in more depth
>
> > >http://www.lambdassociates.org/whatsnew.htm.
>
> > > Documentation online athttp://www.lambdassociates.org/doc.htm
> > > incorporating a manual.
>
> > > To download,www.lambdassociates.orgasusual.
>
> > > I'm still updating some material on the site including Wikipedia.
>
> > > Mark
>
> > Congratulations about QiII and your book but do you planning to make
> > the installation process easier or maybe bundle it with say ABLE or
> > something else in the near future? The installation instructions
> > reminds me of the dark age. The last thing that installed like that I
> > remember is LW under linux, which I never bothered to install, just
> > because that ugly process.  If you want wide acceptance use installer
> > or simple unpack and start. If you go for cult marketing than go on
> > with this installation process.
>
> > bobi
> > P.S.
> > Are there ebooks for purchase of FP in Qi 2nd edition?- Hide quoted text -

> Really?  I thought these instructions were easy.
> The installation routine for Qi II is held in the folder Lisp. To
> install, first copy your executable CL to the folder Lisp and fire it
> up. Type
>
> (LOAD "install.lsp").
>
> This should compile, load and save an executable version of Qi II. To
> run it, click on the respective icon.
>
> Mark

Finally, I did it. This is how simple it is:
1. Copied LW Personal exe , loaded (LOAD "install.lsp") ,save image
disabled for lw personal users.
2. Tried loadind start.exe from ABLE directory, doesn't work.
3. Looking for sbcl in the ABLE directory, I found only clisp.
Mental note: have a little talk with Phil what ABLE on windows is sbcl
driven really means?
4. Downloaded sbcl for windows from http://www.sbcl.org/platform-table.html,
latest version and   installer, WOOOOW sbcl folks are getting really
serious.
5. Installed sbcl and copied sbcl.exe and sbcl.core from C:\Program
Files\Steel Bank Common Lisp\1.0.22 into D:\Qi II\Lisp\
6. Started sbcl.exe and executed   (LOAD "install.lsp")
7. Started Qi 2 with double click on Qi-Windows-SBCL.bat

bobi
From: Mark Tarver
On 28 Nov, 14:31, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Nov 28, 1:31 pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On 28 Nov, 08:44, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Congratulations about QiII and your book but do you planning to make
> > > the installation process easier or maybe bundle it with say ABLE or
> > > something else in the near future? The installation instructions
> > > reminds me of the dark age. The last thing that installed like that I
> > > remember is LW under linux, which I never bothered to install, just
> > > because that ugly process.  If you want wide acceptance use installer
> > > or simple unpack and start. If you go for cult marketing than go on
> > > with this installation process.
>
> > > bobi
> > > P.S.
> > > Are there ebooks for purchase of FP in Qi 2nd edition?- Hide quoted text -

> > Really?  I thought these instructions were easy.
> > The installation routine for Qi II is held in the folder Lisp. To
> > install, first copy your executable CL to the folder Lisp and fire it
> > up. Type
>
> > (LOAD "install.lsp").
>
> > This should compile, load and save an executable version of Qi II. To
> > run it, click on the respective icon.
>
> > Mark
>
> Finally, I did it. This is how simple it is:
> 1. Copied LW Personal exe , loaded (LOAD "install.lsp") ,save image
> disabled for lw personal users.
> 2. Tried loadind start.exe from ABLE directory, doesn't work.
> 3. Looking for sbcl in the ABLE directory, I found only clisp.
> Mental note: have a little talk with Phil what ABLE on windows is sbcl
> driven really means?
> 4. Downloaded sbcl for windows fromhttp://www.sbcl.org/platform-table.html,
> latest version and   installer, WOOOOW sbcl folks are getting really
> serious.
> 5. Installed sbcl and copied sbcl.exe and sbcl.core from C:\Program
> Files\Steel Bank Common Lisp\1.0.22 into D:\Qi II\Lisp\
> 6. Started sbcl.exe and executed   (LOAD "install.lsp")
> 7. Started Qi 2 with double click on Qi-Windows-SBCL.bat
>
> bobi- Hide quoted text -

Right.  *You notice though that most of your problems have to do with
the Lisp platforms, not Qi itself.*  Once you'd got the Lisp installed
the rest (6., 7.) was easy.  Qi is not hard to install.

 Time was in 2005, when Qi ran under CLisp and Windows, that
installation was a
non-event.  You just used the executable provided.  Now Qi runs under
5 different CLs under n OSes and the proprietory CLs can have all
sorts of hangups about saving images. The automatic diagnostic program
for Qi releases now takes > 6 hours to run over all the platforms and
OSs.  That's why I don't distribute executables any more.

Mark

Its still not hard to install though once you've
From: Slobodan Blazeski
Mark Tarver wrote:
> On 28 Nov, 14:31, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Nov 28, 1:31�pm, Mark Tarver <··········@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Really? �I thought these instructions were easy.
> > > ________________________________________________________
> > > The installation routine for Qi II is held in the folder Lisp. To
> > > install, first copy your executable CL to the folder Lisp and fire it
> > > up. Type
> >
> > > (LOAD "install.lsp").
> >
> > > This should compile, load and save an executable version of Qi II. To
> > > run it, click on the respective icon.
> > > _______________________________________________________
> >
> > > Mark
> >
> > Finally, I did it. This is how simple it is:
> > 1. Copied LW Personal exe , loaded (LOAD "install.lsp") ,save image
> > disabled for lw personal users.
> > 2. Tried loadind start.exe from ABLE directory, doesn't work.
> > 3. Looking for sbcl in the ABLE directory, I found only clisp.
> > Mental note: have a little talk with Phil what ABLE on windows is sbcl
> > driven really means?
> > 4. Downloaded sbcl for windows fromhttp://www.sbcl.org/platform-table.html,
> > latest version and � installer, WOOOOW sbcl folks are getting really
> > serious.
> > 5. Installed sbcl and copied sbcl.exe and sbcl.core from C:\Program
> > Files\Steel Bank Common Lisp\1.0.22 into D:\Qi II\Lisp\
> > 6. Started sbcl.exe and executed � (LOAD "install.lsp")
> > 7. Started Qi 2 with double click on Qi-Windows-SBCL.bat
> >
> > bobi- Hide quoted text -

> Right.  *You notice though that most of your problems have to do with
> the Lisp platforms, not Qi itself.*  Once you'd got the Lisp installed
> the rest (6., 7.) was easy.  Qi is not hard to install.
>
>  Time was in 2005, when Qi ran under CLisp and Windows, that
> installation was a
> non-event.  You just used the executable provided.  Now Qi runs under
> 5 different CLs under n OSes and the proprietory CLs can have all
> sorts of hangups about saving images. The automatic diagnostic program
> for Qi releases now takes > 6 hours to run over all the platforms and
> OSs.  That's why I don't distribute executables any more.

> Mark

Mark   we had the very discussion for lisp ide under windows, there
are many things competing for users time, some most people want easy
and now, and the easy is what I described before. Unzip - click OR
intsll- click, not some README full of dependencies. Beside what if
somebody is interested only in Qi and doesn't give a damn about lisp,
and you want to force him to install lisp. It won't work, it didn't
worked with Emacs /lisp bundle and it won't work with lisp/qi bundle.
People don't want to be forced into anything.
So offering one prebuilt executable for 3 major platform, would be
wise choice IMHO.The rest is up to you. Enough I won't speak about
this issue anymore.

bobi

From: Mark Tarver
On 29 Nov, 08:31, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Mark Tarver wrote:
> > On 28 Nov, 14:31, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Finally, I did it. This is how simple it is:
> > > 1. Copied LW Personal exe , loaded (LOAD "install.lsp") ,save image
> > > disabled for lw personal users.
> > > 2. Tried loadind start.exe from ABLE directory, doesn't work.
> > > 3. Looking for sbcl in the ABLE directory, I found only clisp.
> > > Mental note: have a little talk with Phil what ABLE on windows is sbcl
> > > driven really means?
> > > 4. Downloaded sbcl for windows fromhttp://www.sbcl.org/platform-table.html,
> > > latest version and installer, WOOOOW sbcl folks are getting really
> > > serious.
> > > 5. Installed sbcl and copied sbcl.exe and sbcl.core from C:\Program
> > > Files\Steel Bank Common Lisp\1.0.22 into D:\Qi II\Lisp\
> > > 6. Started sbcl.exe and executed (LOAD "install.lsp")
> > > 7. Started Qi 2 with double click on Qi-Windows-SBCL.bat
>
> > > bobi- Hide quoted text -

> > Right.  *You notice though that most of your problems have to do with
> > the Lisp platforms, not Qi itself.*  Once you'd got the Lisp installed
> > the rest (6., 7.) was easy.  Qi is not hard to install.
>
> >  Time was in 2005, when Qi ran under CLisp and Windows, that
> > installation was a
> > non-event.  You just used the executable provided.  Now Qi runs under
> > 5 different CLs under n OSes and the proprietory CLs can have all
> > sorts of hangups about saving images. The automatic diagnostic program
> > for Qi releases now takes > 6 hours to run over all the platforms and
> > OSs.  That's why I don't distribute executables any more.
>
> > Mark
>
> Mark   we had the very discussion for lisp ide under windows, there
> are many things competing for users time, some most people want easy
> and now, and the easy is what I described before. Unzip - click OR
> intsll- click, not some README full of dependencies. Beside what if
> somebody is interested only in Qi and doesn't give a damn about lisp,
> and you want to force him to install lisp. It won't work, it didn't
> worked with Emacs /lisp bundle and it won't work with lisp/qi bundle.
> People don't want to be forced into anything.
> So offering one prebuilt executable for 3 major platform, would be
> wise choice IMHO.The rest is up to you. Enough I won't speak about
> this issue anymore.
>
> bobi
>

> > Its still not hard to install though once you've- Hide quoted text -

I hear you; what you want is Qi circa 2005 which is fine if you are
fine with just Windows and CLisp.  There is no problem with placing an
executable Qi for people who want that and I'm a Windows fan.  But
OSX, and all the rest?

There are only two alternatives.  Either supply the sources and say to
people 'Install your Lisp and the rest is easy' or field executables
for all of these platforms which is frankly far too much hassle (vide
my remarks on how I want to spend my time) and would violate my
understanding with LispWorks and Allegro.  *You cannot distribute for
free live fully working commercially complete images of those
platforms.* I'd get legally slaughtered and rightly so.  There isn't
really any alternative.

There aren't any dependencies beyond having Lisp and all the feature
specific aspects are handled by the installation.  It don't get much
easier.  Its of course not as easy as click-and-run, but that is the
price of running under different platforms and giving people choice -
which is what people demanded in 2005.

Mark
From: Benjamin L. Russell
Actually, I just installed Qi II with GNU CLISP 2.45 on Windows XP
Professional, Service Pack 2, and it was pretty straightforward.  Here
was the exact procedure for reference:

1.  Go to "SourceForge.net: clisp Project: Platform Download"
(http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=1355&sel_platform=8418).

2.  On that page, click on the "Download
clisp-2.45-win32-mingw-big-install.exe" button.  This downloads a file
called "clisp-2.45-win32-mingw-big-install.exe".

3.  Run that file.  This installs GNU CLISP 2.45.  End of GNU CLISP
installation.

4.  Go to "Download Page" (for Qi II) (this page should really be
renamed "Qi Download Page" or "Qi II Download Page")
(http://www.lambdassociates.org/Download/download.htm).

5.  On that page, click on the "Download" button.  This downloads a
file called "QiII.zip".

6.  Unzip that file.

7.  Assuming that GNU CLISP has been installed into the default
installation directory, copy the following two files and one directory
of the GNU CLISP-related installation into the "Lisp" subdirectory of
the "Qi II" installation directory:

Files:
  C:\Program Files\clisp-2.45\clisp.exe
  C:\Program Files\clisp-2.45\clisp-link
  (I didn't check whether this file was necessary, but I copied it
just in case.  Let me know if it is not necessary.)

Directory:
  C:\Program Files\clisp-2.45\base\

8.  Double-click on the "Qi-Windows-CLisp.bat" file in the "Lisp"
subdirectory of the "Qi II" installation directory.  This runs Qi.

-- Benjamin L. Russell