From: Xah Lee
Subject: Herald: Python surpasses Perl in popularity!
herald: Python surpasses Perl in popularity!

According to
“TIOBE Programming Community Index for November 2008” at
http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

it seems that Python has surpassed Perl in popularity this month!

Good for Python!

From my own personal experience in the programing industry, i find it
hard to believe that Python actually surpassed Perl in terms of use in
companies. Python is used in, Google, as everybody knows, but where
else? Perl is used in, umm, about every company except Google (and
probably Google too! in fact).

A quick search in monster.com, i find that perl returns 2673 results,
and Python returns 879 results. Perlers, you still safe!

Looking at other lang popularity site,
http://www.langpop.com/
it indicates that it's pretty much a tie.

So, i think it's not all peaches and cream for Python yet.

However, am pretty sure it'll be so in the next couple of years.

(btw, for those perlers who wishes to learn Python, see a comparative
tutorial:

• Xah's Perl and Python Tutorial
  http://xahlee.org/perl-python/index.html
)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Python surpasses Perl in popularity?
Great to see quality post from real expert once in a while. Thanks!

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄