From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: virtual, static, member (?)
On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 01:26 +0100, Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> sorry, drunk .. again:
>

> (defmethod get-obj (id class)
>   (when (symbolp class)
>     (setf class (find-class class)))
>   (multiple-value-bind (object-cache found-p)
>       (gethash class (global-object-cache-mapping-of (closer-mop:class-prototype class)))
>     (if found-p
>         (gethash id object-cache)
>         (error "No object cache for ~A." class))))

forgot these .. *sigh* (no "edit post" button?)

(defclass test (cached-object)
  ())

(defclass test2 (test)
  ())

From: Barry Margolin
In article <·························@blackbox.nostdal.org>,
 Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> forgot these .. *sigh* (no "edit post" button?)

That's only feasible in web forums, not Usenet.  Usenet is more like
email -- once you post the message, it's on its way to all the other
systems, so it's too late to edit it.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Peder O. Klingenberg
Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> That's only feasible in web forums, not Usenet.  Usenet is more like
> email -- once you post the message, it's on its way to all the other
> systems, so it's too late to edit it.

There used to be a time when you could cancel and/or supersede usenet
messages.  Some people even used newsreaders that supported the
functionality, instead of silly web interfaces.

These days, you can probably still find a client that will let you
send out cancels or supersedes, but you can't expect news servers
anywhere to honour them.  Thank you, spammers.  (You never could be
sure that a cancel/supersede would work everywhere of course, but
chances of them working somewhere, enough places to be useful, used to
be nonzero.)

...Peder...
--
I wish a new life awaited _me_ in some off-world colony.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
·····@news.klingenberg.no (Peder O. Klingenberg) writes:

> Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> That's only feasible in web forums, not Usenet.  Usenet is more like
>> email -- once you post the message, it's on its way to all the other
>> systems, so it's too late to edit it.
>
> There used to be a time when you could cancel and/or supersede usenet
> messages.  Some people even used newsreaders that supported the
> functionality, instead of silly web interfaces.
>
> These days, you can probably still find a client that will let you
> send out cancels or supersedes, but you can't expect news servers
> anywhere to honour them.  Thank you, spammers.  (You never could be
> sure that a cancel/supersede would work everywhere of course, but
> chances of them working somewhere, enough places to be useful, used to
> be nonzero.)

The news server of my ISP and my news client do honor them, so if I'm
fast enough to cancel an ill conceived post, I win :-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__