From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Windows Common LISP
On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 06:21 -0500, Kenny wrote:
> Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 10:09 -0500, Kenny wrote:
> >
> >>otoh, the only GUI that matters any more is the Web, I recommend
> >>qooxdoo. (Thx for the tip, Lars!) Once I have it fully figured out we
> >>can do Xello or some other Lispy wrapper such as SymbolicWeb. And this
> >>aint just the Web with AIR/WebKit.
> >

> > Hooking things together using Cells should be possible; I'd like to keep
> > things optional or separate though, same as with the messy MVC-stuff I'm
> > trying to figure out atm.(#1).
>
> I detect a slippery slope of Premature Perfection leading to Never
> Shipping derived from forgetting Lisp code is Easily Refactorable. Just
> plunge in!

I'm aware of this; I've fallen into this trap a couple of times, but
I've got a real application(!) I'm working on here - and having multiple
widgets/containers sync with a single shared model backend automatically
is very very useful.

I just uploaded an example by the way:
  http://sw2.nostdal.org/mvc-container-app
  http://common-lisp.net/~lnostdal/programming/lisp/symbolicweb/examples/mvc-container.lisp

..if I where to change the first element, say, from the REPL or
whatever, both views would update automatically and maintain their
different properties wrt. color etc..

> > I'm not forcing users to use it, but
> > instead implementing it as a component or layer "outside" the "plain
> > direct manipulation of widgets" stuff(#2). Seems it'll take a couple of
> > iterations or tries to get right though ..
>
> Later. Just Ship(tm).

I've already shipped a version without this MVC stuff. :)

(..well, still got some integration to do with the clients mail-software
etc. left, but anyway..)
From: Kenny
Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 06:21 -0500, Kenny wrote:
>
>>Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

>>>Hooking things together using Cells should be possible; I'd like to keep
>>>things optional or separate though, same as with the messy MVC-stuff I'm
>>>trying to figure out atm.(#1).
>>
>>I detect a slippery slope of Premature Perfection leading to Never
>>Shipping derived from forgetting Lisp code is Easily Refactorable. Just
>>plunge in!
>

> I'm aware of this; I've fallen into this trap a couple of times, but
> I've got a real application(!) I'm working on here -

God bless you, my son!

> and having multiple
> widgets/containers sync with a single shared model backend automatically
> is very very useful.

Well, yes. But try to tell these yobbos that.

> I just uploaded an example by the way:
>   http://sw2.nostdal.org/mvc-container-app
>   http://common-lisp.net/~lnostdal/programming/lisp/symbolicweb/examples/mvc-container.lisp
>
> ..if I where to change the first element, say, from the REPL or
> whatever, both views would update automatically and maintain their
> different properties wrt. color etc..

Awesome. We just have to get rid of the exposed wiring. :)

>>>I'm not forcing users to use it, but
>>>instead implementing it as a component or layer "outside" the "plain
>>>direct manipulation of widgets" stuff(#2). Seems it'll take a couple of
>>>iterations or tries to get right though ..
>>
>>Later. Just Ship(tm).
>

> I've already shipped a version without this MVC stuff. :)

All is forgiven.

Now go get qooxdoo, it is as good as it gets, the Lisp of JS frameworks.
But you knew that! Thx again for the heads up on that.

cheers, kzo