From: sebastiano.dimartina
Subject: Win32 trivial clisp+emacs+sql+tcl Setup.
It is not easy for a lisp newbie (like me!) to prepare a complete
chain-tool
for checking lisp on win32 (it's much easier on Linux).
Same for ASDF or other libs nedeed for real applications
(sql,gui,basic libs).

So I put on line a simple <click-n-point> trivial setup for lazy win32
users.
** note: It is just the fusion of two great sites free stuff:
        [A] http://weitz.de/
        [B] http://www.gigamonkeys.com

You may want to follow these simple [7] steps to get working with your
lispbox:

************** S T A R T **************

[1]  download package (37 Mb):
       http://www.dimartina.it/lispbox_easy_win32+sql+tcl-tk+libs.zip

[2]  unzip where you like

[3]  double click on lispbox.bat in the base directory

[4]  wait emacs starting... (pay attention to your firewall)

[5]  copy n paste in emacs the following 2 lines to check TCL-TK:
       (ASDF:OOS 'ASDF:LOAD-OP :ltk)
       (ltk::ltk-eyes)

[6]  install postgres from
       http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.5/win32/
       [6.1] create a database "test"
       [6.2] create the table: "tab1" with 2 columns: "codice",
"descrizione"

[7]  replace YOUR-PASSWORD in line 3, then paste all in emacs to check
Postgres:
       (ASDF:OOS 'ASDF:LOAD-OP :postmodern)
       (use-package :postmodern)
       (connect-toplevel "test" "postgres" "YOUR-PASSWORD"
"localhost")
       (doquery (:select 'codice 'descrizione :from 'tab1) (codice
descrizione )
         (format t "Code = ~A with description = ~A.~%" codice
descrizione))

************** F I N I S H !!! **************

  When u will feel comfortable with this stuff you could think to
  download your new libs from:
  http://www.cliki.net/index
  putting them on:
  ..\..\lispbox-0.7\portableaserve-20051204.214932\libs

****

my best software sites:
    http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/                      (tcl-tk
interface)
    http://common-lisp.net/project/postmodern/          (postgres for
lisp)
    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.5/win32/  (postgres
installer)

my best turorial sites to learn lisp:
    http://weitz.de/starter-pack/                       (great!)
    http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/                    (you should
read)
    http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/socket.html          (try the
examples)

****

feel free to put questions:   info AT dimartina DOT it

From: Ben Kooijman
Subject: Re: Win32 trivial clisp+emacs+sql+tcl Setup.
"sebastiano.dimartina" <····················@gmail.com> wrote in
> So I put on line a simple <click-n-point> trivial setup for lazy win32
> users.

Great! More people working on packaged up, more complete Win32 solutions!

BTW, for newbies, the LTK test will always fail: your ZIP does not contain
TCL/Tk (the wish executable) and Windows users don't tend to have it
installed.

Other than that: great stuff!

Ben.
From: sebastiano.dimartina
> BTW, for newbies, the LTK test will always fail: your ZIP does not contain
> TCL/Tk (the wish executable) and Windows users don't tend to have it
> installed.

 Thanks Ben, I just uploaded a new release of
 http://www.dimartina.it/lispbox_easy_win32+sql+tcl-tk+libs.zip
 and rewrote tutorial at page: http://www.dimartina.it/lisptutorial.txt

 Tcl-Tk should try smoothly, I hardcoded path C:\Programs\Tcl
 in the file ltk.lisp.

 It would be nice if some real hacker put on line some stuff about
 Steel Bank CL  with preinstalled Araneida server.

Waiting for news...
From: jvdvyah
On Nov 16, 3:22 pm, "sebastiano.dimartina"
<····················@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Thanks Ben, I just uploaded a new release of
>  http://www.dimartina.it/lispbox_easy_win32+sql+tcl-tk+libs.zip
>  and rewrote tutorial at page:http://www.dimartina.it/lisptutorial.txt

Cool, I'll check it out.

One thing I noticed is that you put all of the libraries in the libs
subdirectory of PortableAserve. I understand this may make things
easier but you may want to point out to users that if they remove
PortableAserve they also lose all their other libraries. Maybe a
"libs" subdirectory under CLISP would be more appropriate for all the
libs that are not related directly to PortableAserve? (you'd need to
add that directory to the ASDF central registry then).

>  It would be nice if some real hacker put on line some stuff about
>  Steel Bank CL  with preinstalled Araneida server.

Araneida is no longer maintained (last release in 2006). That doesn't
mean it's no good, of course, but Hutchentoot seems to be the LISP web
server of choice now. Of course, there is no open source Common LISP
that has multi-threading on Windows yet so you'd have to force
Hunchentoot (http://weitz.de/hunchentoot/) into single-thread mode if
you're running it on Windows (see for example http://abstractstuff.livejournal.com/26811.html
for help on that).

Ben.
From: sebastiano.dimartina
I read the following page on cliki.net

http://www.cliki.net/Current%20recommended%20libraries

so i decide to add some of that libraries:

==================
iterate
xmls
Kpax (web server)
Araneida (web server)
CLSQL
==================

The location of libraries was moved from
portableaserve-20051204.214932 to a simpler:
asdf-lib.

Now you can delete \portableaserve-20051204.214932 from
directory structure without losing installed libs.

For some reason libs directory was hardcode in file site-init.lisp,
so i had to patch last two lines
  (register-source-directory (lispbox-file (make-pathname :directory
        '(:relative "practicals-1.0.3"))))
  (register-source-directory (lispbox-file (make-pathname :directory
        '(:relative "portableaserve-20051204.214932"))))
adding a third line with:
   '(:relative "asdf-lib")))) inside

IMHO win32 environment would be more used from new lispers if
they could use asdf-install, at the moment a too unix related
utility (you must download cygwin or tar, gzip programs, i believe).

It would be great if someone could test in his own pc
my "customized lispbox".
http://www.dimartina.it/lispbox_easy_win32+sql+tcl-tk+libs.zip
trying to add Hunchentoot server (i was not able..) and giving
some suggestion for next improvements.

Maybe someone would join for a sourceforge site?

Seb