From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Alternatives 4
On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 14:46 +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
> > On Nov 7, 1:39 am, William James <·········@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> I don't see what's so great about Paul Graham's
> >> On Lisp.
> >
> > Huh? You criticize a book by translating some of the
> > contained source code into another programming language?
> >
> > I don't get it... :/
>
> If the most compelling examples of Lisp are more easily written in other
> languages, what is the value of Lisp?

that is not the most compelling examples of lisp .. it's pretty friggin
obvious; these are trivial utility functions

.. you're pretty dumb for a guy calling himself "Dr." and having one of
these "Phd" thingies btw.

From: Jon Harrop
Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 14:46 +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
>> >
>> > Huh? You criticize a book by translating some of the
>> > contained source code into another programming language?
>> >
>> > I don't get it... :/
>>
>> If the most compelling examples of Lisp are more easily written in other
>> languages, what is the value of Lisp?
>
> that is not the most compelling examples of lisp .. it's pretty friggin
> obvious; these are trivial utility functions
>
> .. you're pretty dumb for a guy calling himself "Dr." and having one of
> these "Phd" thingies btw.

You're answering a rhetorical question.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?u
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 03:57 +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

> >> If the most compelling examples of Lisp are more easily written in other
> >> languages, what is the value of Lisp?
> >
> > that is not the most compelling examples of lisp .. it's pretty friggin
> > obvious; these are trivial utility functions
> >
> > .. you're pretty dumb for a guy calling himself "Dr." and having one of
> > these "Phd" thingies btw.
>
> You're answering a rhetorical question.

you .. did .. also?