From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Printing unicode
On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 11:20 -0800, ·············@gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 9, 5:42 pm, smallpond <·········@juno.com> wrote:
> > The US DOS character set is CP437, which lists the spade character
> > as Unicode value dec 9824 / hex 2660.
>
> Seems I got my decimal and hex mixed up there:)
> But I still get the same message:
>
> Character #\u2660 cannot be represented in the character set
> CHARSET:ISO-8859-1

Just a guess, in my ~/.emacs I have:

  (setq current-language-environment "UTF-8")

..also, at some point after loading Slime (after calling setup-slime), I
do:

  (setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

..but I'm using Debian, so might need some different values for Windows.
From: ·············@gmail.com
On Nov 9, 8:36 pm, Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 11:20 -0800, ·············@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Nov 9, 5:42 pm, smallpond <·········@juno.com> wrote:
> > > The US DOS character set is CP437, which lists the spade character
> > > as Unicode value dec 9824 / hex 2660.
>
> > Seems I got my decimal and hex mixed up there:)
> > But I still get the same message:
>
> > Character #\u2660 cannot be represented in the character set
> > CHARSET:ISO-8859-1
>
> Just a guess, in my ~/.emacs I have:
>
>   (setq current-language-environment "UTF-8")
>
> ..also, at some point after loading Slime (after calling setup-slime), I
> do:
>
>   (setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
>
> ..but I'm using Debian, so might need some different values for Windows.

I've pasted those into the the scratch buffer, and evaluated it, but I
still get the same result.  I'll see what happens when I put them in
the .emacs file though. (First I'll have to figure out where that is,
or is expected to be, on windows.)