From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Diving into CL....
On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 13:25 -0800, ·······@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I've decided to finally go ahead and learn Common LISP.  CL looks
> like a very powerful language that could be of great use to me.  I've
> got a little experience with Scheme and a copy of Practical Common
> LISP so I'm not entirely in the dark but I have a few dumb
> questions....
>
> 1.)  What do you all recommend as a toolkit for writing GUI apps?  I
> played with McCLIM briefly but it was a little too slow for most
> things I'd want to do with it.  CLIM does seem pretty neat though.  Is
> there a GTK+ or a Tk bridge

Yeah, LTK. Check out cliki.net and cl-user.net for more.

> I know LISPWorks and a few other commercial LISPs offer extensive GUI
> support but there's a couple problems:
>
> -  I run a wide variety of machines including UltraSPARC, a couple
> embedded ARM boxes, PowerPC/Intel macs and even an old MicroVAX.  I'd
> like my code to be fairly portable across several *NIX machines.

Uh, maybe CLISP - but I don't know.

> -  Commercial LISP implementations are horribly expensive.  I'm
> learning Common LISP as a hobbyist because I've come to grips with the
> fact that there's a snowball's chance in hell of me EVER getting a job
> writing LISP code.  Dropping $600+ on a LISP environment with no
> payoff is not appealing.

Yeah, your hobby could be writing (in Lisp) or improving the free ones
(UI-toolkits etc.) that are out there already then.

..but no one wants to do this.

> 2.)  What flavor of CL do you all recommend?  Currently I'm running
> SBCL w/ Slime.  Getting used to EMACS has been interesting but I
> actually like it now.  I'm surprised someone hasn't slapped EMACS on
> top of OSKit and called it an operating system yet.

SBCL+Slime is great.

> 3.)  Are there any good LISP OpenGL libraries that anyone can
> recommend?  I was thinking of eventually writing a cheesy spaceflight/
> space combat sim.  LISP seems like a pretty cool language to do it in.

cl-opengl.

> 4.)  Is there a fairly simple web development framework out there with
> things like session management, etc for CL?

Hunchentoot + cl-who + Postmodern + Alexandria etc. combined make up a
framework for web development.

I wouldn't recommend it for a novice (or, well, perhaps not in general
either; only the core is stable really), but I'm working on something
that intends to work as a UI-in-a-web-browser type of thing for CL:
  http://groups.google.com/group/symbolicweb

..it works for me. As in; I'm actually using it for "real stuff".