From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Users you should add to your killfile
If you're new to lisp and using google groups, if you have a
newsreader even better, you should install this wonderful  tool
http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html (Note it works only with Firefox)
and Ignore fallowing users from start : Jon Harrop, Gavino, Xah Lee,
Javier,  William James that will improve your cll experience at  least
20 times.

bobi

From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Re: Users you should add to your killfile
Another one: (push Francesco  *killfile*)

bobi
From: Slobodan Blazeski
Subject: Could newsgroup reader filter unwanted message replies?
After enjoying the blessings of google groups kill file and enormous
amounts of time and emotions saved, I hit the limitations of it. So is
it possible to use the newsreader to filter the messages that are
replies to my killfile authors. For example is it possible to not see
for example  Kenny,Rob,Pascal etc  replies to froggy, gavino, xah and
other resisdents of my killfile while still being able to see their
other posts? I don't mind paying some money for that priviledge.

thanks
bobi
From: Raymond Wiker
Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com> writes:

> After enjoying the blessings of google groups kill file and enormous
> amounts of time and emotions saved, I hit the limitations of it. So is
> it possible to use the newsreader to filter the messages that are
> replies to my killfile authors. For example is it possible to not see
> for example  Kenny,Rob,Pascal etc  replies to froggy, gavino, xah and
> other resisdents of my killfile while still being able to see their
> other posts? I don't mind paying some money for that priviledge.

	You want Emacs.
From: Michael Ekstrand
Raymond Wiker <···@RawMBP.local> writes:
> Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> After enjoying the blessings of google groups kill file and enormous
>> amounts of time and emotions saved, I hit the limitations of it. So is
>> it possible to use the newsreader to filter the messages that are
>> replies to my killfile authors. For example is it possible to not see
>> for example  Kenny,Rob,Pascal etc  replies to froggy, gavino, xah and
>> other resisdents of my killfile while still being able to see their
>> other posts? I don't mind paying some money for that priviledge.
>
> 	You want Emacs.

Yes.  Gnus can do exactly what you want with its scoring support.

slrn also has a scoring engine; I don't know if it's sophisticated
enough to do what you want, but it might be worth a look if for some
reason you don't want to use Gnus.

- Michael.

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
From: Mark Wooding
Michael Ekstrand <·······@elehack.net> wrote:

>> Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>  For example is it possible to not see
>>> for example  Kenny,Rob,Pascal etc  replies to froggy, gavino, xah and
>>> other resisdents of my killfile while still being able to see their
>>> other posts?
>
> slrn also has a scoring engine; I don't know if it's sophisticated
> enough to do what you want, but it might be worth a look if for some
> reason you don't want to use Gnus.

I believe that slrn can indeed meet these requirements.

-- [mdw]
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
I have EMACS, but never used GNUS.

Quick question: I'm using news.motzarella.org and reading through there
comp.lang.lisp and other groups. How to set it up with it? When I
started it, I was clueless what to do (I'm using Thunderbird, but I can
feel it's weakness already, but I'm weak myself to give up entirely to
EMACS).

Any quick tutorials first-hand (google second hand)?

From: Michael Ekstrand
"Dimiter \"malkia\" Stanev" <······@mac.com> writes:
> I have EMACS, but never used GNUS.
>
> Quick question: I'm using news.motzarella.org and reading through
> there comp.lang.lisp and other groups. How to set it up with it? When
> I started it, I was clueless what to do (I'm using Thunderbird, but I
> can feel it's weakness already, but I'm weak myself to give up
> entirely to EMACS).
>
> Any quick tutorials first-hand (google second hand)?

A combination of the Gnus manual (especially the first chapter, "Starting
Gnus") and the Gnu spages on emacswiki are how I learned to use it.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.
From: Kenny
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> After enjoying the blessings of google groups kill file and enormous
> amounts of time and emotions saved, I hit the limitations of it. So is
> it possible to use the newsreader to filter the messages that are
> replies to my killfile authors. For example is it possible to not see
> for example  Kenny,Rob,Pascal etc  replies to froggy, gavino, xah and
> other resisdents of my killfile while still being able to see their
> other posts? I don't mind paying some money for that priviledge.

You need the anit-bobi filter which will prevent you from missing all
the traffic you should see which is traffic you think you do not want to
see.

Lisp? This group is not about Lisp! Lisp is done! There is nothing to
say! All that is left...well...

hth, kenny
From: ·······@eurogaran.com
From: Alex Mizrahi
 SB> If you're new to lisp and using google groups, if you have a
 SB> newsreader even better, you should install this wonderful  tool
 SB> http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html (Note it works only with Firefox)
 SB> and Ignore fallowing users from start : Jon Harrop, Gavino, Xah Lee,
 SB> Javier,  William James that will improve your cll experience at  least
 SB> 20 times.

Kenny is not in list??
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Nov 6, 1:00 pm, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:
>  SB> If you're new to lisp and using google groups, if you have a
>  SB> newsreader even better, you should install this wonderful  tool
>  SB>http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html(Note it works only with Firefox)
>  SB> and Ignore fallowing users from start : Jon Harrop, Gavino, Xah Lee,
>  SB> Javier,  William James that will improve your cll experience at  least
>  SB> 20 times.
>
> Kenny is not in list??

You can't ban god.

bobi
From: Kenny
Slobodan Blazeski wrote:
> On Nov 6, 1:00 pm, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
> wrote:
>
>> SB> If you're new to lisp and using google groups, if you have a
>> SB> newsreader even better, you should install this wonderful  tool
>> SB>http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html(Note it works only with Firefox)
>> SB> and Ignore fallowing users from start : Jon Harrop, Gavino, Xah Lee,
>> SB> Javier,  William James that will improve your cll experience at  least
>> SB> 20 times.
>>
>>Kenny is not in list??
>

> You can't ban god.

You've been reading My press. We are Pleased.

kzo
From: Thomas F. Burdick
On 6 nov, 16:29, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Slobodan Blazeski wrote:

> >>Kenny is not in list??
>
> > You can't ban god.
>
> You've been reading My press. We are Pleased.

You're moving up in the world? I thought your propaganda referred to
you as He Whose Laptop Was Used by John McCarthy?
From: Kenny
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> On 6 nov, 16:29, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Slobodan Blazeski wrote:

>>>You can't ban god.
>>
>>You've been reading My press. We are Pleased.
>

> You're moving up in the world?

If my flock wants a God, who am I to let them down? I am the Obama of Lisp.

> I thought your propaganda referred to
> you as He Whose Laptop Was Used by John McCarthy?

We are The Multitudes, which apparently is doing nothing to stop Dojo
from kicking my ass the steaming POS -- nah, it rocks, just a little
growing pain.

hth,kenny
From: Kenny
Kenny wrote:
> Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

>>> You've been reading My press. We are Pleased.
>>

>> You're moving up in the world?
>

> If my flock wants a God, who am I to let them down? I am the Obama of Lisp.
>
>> I thought your propaganda referred to
>> you as He Whose Laptop Was Used by John McCarthy?
>

> We are The Multitudes, which apparently is doing nothing to stop Dojo
> from kicking my ass the steaming POS -- nah, it rocks, just a little
> growing pain.

Late returns indicate Dojo not at fault because if I take the page
generated (by me, WebActions, and Aserve and all that) and Just Serve
That it works. Damn language. But it was fun listening to the lads on
#dojo howl when I told them I was using a Lisp server.

kzo
From: Kenny
Alex Mizrahi wrote:
>  SB> If you're new to lisp and using google groups, if you have a
>  SB> newsreader even better, you should install this wonderful  tool
>  SB> http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html (Note it works only with Firefox)
>  SB> and Ignore fallowing users from start : Jon Harrop, Gavino, Xah Lee,
>  SB> Javier,  William James that will improve your cll experience at  least
>  SB> 20 times.
>
> Kenny is not in list??

Thx, I was going to say something but I thought it would be presumptuous?

Bobi, how do I get on? I don't mind paying something.

hth,kzo
From: Slobodan Blazeski
On Nov 6, 2:14 pm, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex Mizrahi wrote:
> >  SB> If you're new to lisp and using google groups, if you have a
> >  SB> newsreader even better, you should install this wonderful  tool
> >  SB>http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html(Note it works only with Firefox)
> >  SB> and Ignore fallowing users from start : Jon Harrop, Gavino, Xah Lee,
> >  SB> Javier,  William James that will improve your cll experience at  least
> >  SB> 20 times.
>
> > Kenny is not in list??
>
> Thx, I was going to say something but I thought it would be presumptuous?
>
> Bobi, how do I get on? I don't mind paying something.
>
> hth,kzo

You can't bribe yourself in. In order to be accepted into c.l.l. (aka
common lisp language) group killfile you must be either:
a. Spammer - froggy
b. Troll  - gavino
c. Crazy  - name withold because of ethical reason.

When you're ready fill your application with proves of your
accomplishments in above categories.

bobi
VP of technical operations
common lisp language group killfile
somewhere at someplace
somezipcode
From: Franccesco
On 6 nov, 14:14, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Kenny is not in list??
>
> Thx, I was going to say something but I thought it would be presumptuous?
>
> Bobi, how do I get on? I don't mind paying something.

Just start saying the true about lisp and lispers, and you'll get on
rapidly, for free!
From: Kenny
Franccesco wrote:
> On 6 nov, 14:14, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>Kenny is not in list??
>>
>>Thx, I was going to say something but I thought it would be presumptuous?
>>
>>Bobi, how do I get on? I don't mind paying something.
>

> Just start saying the true about lisp and lispers, and you'll get on
> rapidly, for free!

You used to get beat up a lot in the schoolyard, didn't you? You kinda
try to turn unlikability into an art form? We have a language for you,
F#. Run don't walk.

hth,kzo
From: Kaz Kylheku
On 2008-11-07, Franccesco <········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 nov, 14:14, Kenny <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Kenny is not in list??
>>
>> Thx, I was going to say something but I thought it would be presumptuous?
>>
>> Bobi, how do I get on? I don't mind paying something.
>
> Just start saying the true about lisp and lispers, and you'll get on
> rapidly, for free!

And just as rapidly, you can then change your name, e.g. from Javier to
Francessco, and go for more punishment.

You're already killfiled by me due to posting from Google Groups, where
a lot of this type of crap comes from.

I'm only reading you because I told my newreader to follow the parent article
reference from Kenny's followup to you.
From: ······@gmail.com
Hi Slobodan,

On Nov 6, 12:24 am, Slobodan Blazeski <·················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> If you're new to lisp and using google groups, if you have a
> newsreader even better, you should install this wonderful  toolhttp://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html(Note it works only with Firefox)
> and Ignore fallowing users from start : Jon Harrop, Gavino,Xah Lee,
> Javier,  William James that will improve your cll experience at  least
> 20 times.

See:

• Killfile Considered Harmful
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/kill_file_harmful.html

plain text version follows:

Killfile Considered Harmful

Xah Lee, 2000-02-26

In newsgroups, killfile is a playful word meaning that the poster has
placed someone in a blacklist of authors, where their postings will be
automatically hidden from view in their newsreader. Such functionality
of newsreaders originated in unix. In the early 90s or before, it used
to be referred to as “sending someone into /dev/null”, because “/dev/
null” can be used as a way for deleting email program outputs.

The killfile behavior, is simply put: “sweep-under-the-rug”, “bury-
head-in-sand” kind of behavior. Imagine that in a gathering where if
everyone totally ignores other's voices except their own kind, then
what cacophony would result? Similarly, if we ignore the problem of
crime by simply using larger locks for our own doors, what consequence
would result?

We are all human beings. Our surroundings are our organs and affects
us dearly. In newsgroups, inevitably there will be certain individuals
with foul breath at times. Killfile mechanism is a very good feature
to battle such annoyances. This is not a reason for falling for the
convenience of blocking your ears from dissenting voices or the
nonconformists.

The worst thing i hate about it, is the broadcasting of someone being
killfiled. Oftentimes the sole content of a message is “You've been
killfiled”. WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO TO THE COMMUNITY BY SUCH
ANNOUNCEMENT? Is it a warning system for fellow readers to prepare to
follow suit? Or is it a stupid self-righteous act? In the course of a
unpleasant encountering, the killfilers feel the other party being
unworthy of further response but they don't want to be seen as
chickening out so they had to announce it as if saying: “Hello world:
you don't see a returning 'fuck you' from me because _I_ am _smarter_
and took a step ahead of my antagonist and covered my ears, not
because he is correct or anything like that.”. Pride is a human
nature, but unqualified conceit is despicable.

A second motivation for announcing killfile is more explicitly
juvenile. Killfile has several variant names: “You've been
killfiled.”, “plonk” (sound of falling object), “I've send you to /dev/
null” (unixism), and creativity does not seems to cease there, e.g. in
comp.lang.lisp: (plonk 'xah) or signatures that reads “in /dev/null,
they can't hear you scream.”

The reason of these playful variations is precisely literary folly.
The utterer delights in its use since most are wanting of genuine
literary artistry. This adds to the fashion of killfile and its
broadcasting.

Killfile behavior and broadcasting have another curious trait: No
burden of commitment. One cannot really tell if the person really did
the killfile. The decision to make a killfile cry in public does not
carry any weight of responsibility as compared to making a claim,
stating a “fact”, or expressing a opinion. It is simply a variation of
“fuck you”. This too, contributed to its uncontrolled popularity.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄
From: Bob Felts
······@gmail.com <······@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Killfile Considered Harmful
>
> Xah Lee, 2000-02-26

[...]
> The killfile behavior, is simply put: "sweep-under-the-rug", "bury-
> head-in-sand" kind of behavior.

This is a fine example of using negatively charged words to convey
something that simply isn't true.  When one mutes a commercial on TV, is
one "burying their head in the sand" or simply getting rid of an
unwanted intrusion?  How many times do you have to watch a commercial
before you know it has no useful information to impart or no
entertainment value?  Do we not put up mosquito nets because an insect
might be offended and/or go hungry?

> Imagine that in a gathering where if everyone totally ignores other's
> voices except their own kind, then what cacophony would result?

Oh, I don't know.  Harmony maybe?

> Similarly, if we ignore the problem of crime by simply using larger locks
> for our own doors, what consequence would result?

Criminals would either go elsewhere or they'd escalate their attacks.
In which case, they'd be staring down the barrels of heavily armed
people who aren't unaware of the castle doctrine.

Why?  What did you have in mind?  Open the door for them?  Serve them
tea and cookies?  Show them where the silver is kept?  Listen to their
tale of woe about how society doesn't understand them?

> We are all human beings. Our surroundings are our organs and affects us
> dearly.

Oh, you poor little snowflake.

> In newsgroups, inevitably there will be certain individuals with foul
> breath at times. Killfile mechanism is a very good feature to battle such
> annoyances. This is not a reason for falling for the convenience of
> blocking your ears from dissenting voices or the nonconformists.

Who gets to decide whether it's a case of foul breath or "dissenting
voices of the nonconformists"?  Hint:  it isn't you.

If you're going to wear the mantle of a nonconformist then you have to
endure the consequences.  Nonconformist clothes are ill-fitting, they
itch, never match the current styles, and they aren't colorfast in hot
water.

You can't have it both ways.  You can't say "I'm a non-conformist" and
expect people to want to listen to you.  To expect anything else is to
be clueless, not "non-conformist".

> The worst thing i hate about it, is the broadcasting of someone being
> killfiled. Oftentimes the sole content of a message is "You've been
> killfiled". WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO TO THE COMMUNITY BY SUCH ANNOUNCEMENT? Is
> it a warning system for fellow readers to prepare to follow suit? Or is it
> a stupid self-righteous act? In the course of a unpleasant encountering,
> the killfilers feel the other party being unworthy of further response but
> they don't want to be seen as chickening out so they had to announce it as
> if saying: "Hello world: you don't see a returning 'fuck you' from me
> because _I_ am _smarter_ and took a step ahead of my antagonist and
> covered my ears, not because he is correct or anything like that.". Pride
> is a human nature, but unqualified conceit is despicable.

One of the main traits of clueless/stupid/incompetent people is that
they don't know that they are such.  You write, "unqualified conceit is
despicable" and show that you don't make the connection.  "You have to
listen to me, I'm a non-conformist" is a prime example of unqualified
conceit.

But will you make the connection?

Probably not.

*plonk*

[...]
From: Tamas K Papp
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:50:13 -0500, Bob Felts wrote:

> Do
> we not put up mosquito nets because an insect might be offended and/or
> go hungry?

You pinned down the essence of Xah perfectly :-)

Tamas
From: gavino
wrote:
> If you're new to lisp and using google groups, if you have a
> newsreader even better, you should install this wonderful  toolhttp://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html(Note it works only with Firefox)
> and Ignore fallowing users from start : Jon Harrop, Gavino, Xah Lee,
> Javier,  William James that will improve your cll experience at  least
> 20 times.
>
> bobi

thanks man

real fun when your learning to be iggied

thx!