From: Peter Christensen
Subject: Install guide for SBCL, Emacs, and SLIME on Windows XP
In the spirit of good documentation, I wrote a new version of my CLisp/
Emacs/SLIME install guide to include SBCL setup[2].  The biggest catch
I found was that on Windows XP, system environment variables aren't
updated until after a reboot.  Other than that, it was extremely easy
to swap out CLisp for SBCL.  If you already ran through my CLisp
guide[1], then you can have SBCL running in about 3 minutes (+ reboot
time).  Please let me know how it goes and if there are any errors.

I appreciate any feedback - let me know what else it could use!

Thanks,
Peter

[1] http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/installing-clisp-emacs-and-slime-on-windows-xp/
[2] http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/installing-sbcl-emacs-and-slime-on-windows-xp/

From: Grant Rettke
Hi Peter,

On Windows XP, changes to environmental variables are reflected when
starting a new dos box (cmd.exe).

Grant
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:25:15 -0700 (PDT), Grant Rettke <·······@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Windows XP, changes to environmental variables are reflected when
> starting a new dos box (cmd.exe).

The "DOS box" is command.com.  There's no DOS in cmd.exe.

Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: John Thingstad
P� Fri, 30 May 2008 21:32:54 +0200, skrev Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de>:

> On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:25:15 -0700 (PDT), Grant Rettke
> <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Windows XP, changes to environmental variables are reflected when
>> starting a new dos box (cmd.exe).
>
> The "DOS box" is command.com.  There's no DOS in cmd.exe.
>
> Edi.

Well some of us adventurous souls are using the Windows Powershell.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

--------------
John Thingstad
From: Dimiter "malkia" Stanev
Peter Christensen wrote:
> In the spirit of good documentation, I wrote a new version of my CLisp/
> Emacs/SLIME install guide to include SBCL setup[2].  The biggest catch
> I found was that on Windows XP, system environment variables aren't
> updated until after a reboot.  Other than that, it was extremely easy
> to swap out CLisp for SBCL.  If you already ran through my CLisp
> guide[1], then you can have SBCL running in about 3 minutes (+ reboot
> time).  Please let me know how it goes and if there are any errors.
>
> I appreciate any feedback - let me know what else it could use!
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> [1] http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/installing-clisp-emacs-and-slime-on-windows-xp/
> [2] http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/installing-sbcl-emacs-and-slime-on-windows-xp/

You can use SETX from the Windows Resource Kit, google it (hint:
http://www.ss64.com/nt/setx.html)

The Windows Environment is stored in the Registry as a local user one,
or system.

As far as I know depending on where you are setting you need either only
to LOG-OFF, LOG-ON, or as you said restarting.

I wrote time ago an application for quickly editing the environment and
saving it - it's here:

http://www.ddag.org/ikolev/files/EnvironmentEditor.zip - the Win32
binary, and the C++ source code is included.