From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Lisp on Nokia N810?
Given the favorable exchange rates, I'm considering to buy a Nokia
N810 the next time I'm in the US.  Does anyone know of a Common Lisp
that has been ported to this device?  CLISP, ECL, maybe?  I've tried
Google, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Paul Wallich
Subject: Re: Lisp on Nokia N810?
Edi Weitz wrote:
> Given the favorable exchange rates, I'm considering to buy a Nokia
> N810 the next time I'm in the US.  Does anyone know of a Common Lisp
> that has been ported to this device?  CLISP, ECL, maybe?  I've tried
> Google, but couldn't find anything.

Lemonodor long ago had a picture of CLISP running on a N770, which is a
couple generations back but essentially the same OS. Just getting the
ARM (processor) debian package for CLISP didn't work the last time I
tried it, because of some twiddly library dependencies, but if you spent
some time recompiling you'd likely be fine. I think the Scratchbox
emulator is available through maemo.org, so you could fire that up on a
PC and try before you buy. (Once you have the machine, you can ssh to it
and forward your windows, making for a rather nicer development
environment.)

paul
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:00:27 -0400, Paul Wallich <··@panix.com> wrote:

> Lemonodor long ago had a picture of CLISP running on a N770, which
> is a couple generations back but essentially the same OS. Just
> getting the ARM (processor) debian package for CLISP didn't work the
> last time I tried it, because of some twiddly library dependencies,
> but if you spent some time recompiling you'd likely be fine. I think
> the Scratchbox emulator is available through maemo.org, so you could
> fire that up on a PC and try before you buy. (Once you have the
> machine, you can ssh to it and forward your windows, making for a
> rather nicer development environment.)

Thanks (and also to the others who replied).  I think I'll just buy
one of these thingies.  Looks like it might be fun.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:00:27 -0400, Paul Wallich <··@panix.com> wrote:

> Lemonodor long ago had a picture of CLISP running on a N770, which
> is a couple generations back but essentially the same OS.

Found it:

  http://lemonodor.com/archives/2007/03/clisp_on_a_nokia_n800.html

It's the Nokia 800, actually, which is only one generation ago.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Chun Tian (binghe)
And what about Apple's iPhone? Is it possible to run a Lisp on it?

From: David Golden
Chun Tian (binghe) wrote:

> And what about Apple's iPhone? Is it possible to run a Lisp on it?

Certainly technically possible, but beware apple's "hilarious" iphone
SDK licensing terms (no idea how enforceable they are):
http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/03/has-apple-banne.html

"""
An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by
any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in
architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No
interpreted code may be downloaded and used in
an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's
Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).
"""

So, well, I'm avoiding it. And I'm not falling for some reverse
psychology
but-the-license-prohibited-it-therefore-it's-my-moral-duty-to-do-it
thing either, especially not in this case:  iphones are crap anyway (by
european & asian mobile market standards anyway, the USA... lags),
triumph of marketing rather than technology.
From: John Thingstad
P� Thu, 29 May 2008 13:26:06 +0200, skrev Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de>:

> Given the favorable exchange rates, I'm considering to buy a Nokia
> N810 the next time I'm in the US.  Does anyone know of a Common Lisp
> that has been ported to this device?  CLISP, ECL, maybe?  I've tried
> Google, but couldn't find anything.
>
> Thanks,
> Edi.

GCL is my bet..

--------------
John Thingstad
From: Alessio Stalla
On May 29, 1:47 pm, "John Thingstad" <·······@online.no> wrote:
> På Thu, 29 May 2008 13:26:06 +0200, skrev Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de>:
>
> > Given the favorable exchange rates, I'm considering to buy a Nokia
> > N810 the next time I'm in the US.  Does anyone know of a Common Lisp
> > that has been ported to this device?  CLISP, ECL, maybe?  I've tried
> > Google, but couldn't find anything.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Edi.
>
> GCL is my bet..

Or maybe ABCL, if the N810 has a reasonable Java implementation...
From: vilho
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> Given the favorable exchange rates, I'm considering to buy a Nokia
> N810 the next time I'm in the US.  Does anyone know of a Common Lisp
> that has been ported to this device?  CLISP, ECL, maybe?  I've tried
> Google, but couldn't find anything.
>
> Thanks,
> Edi.
>
> --
>
> Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.
>
> Real email: (replace (subseq ·········@agharta.de" 5) "edi")

Greetings,

open source Nokia tablet software can be found at http://www.maemo.org.
Search for lisp only yields SBCL on wish list at the time...

  BR,
   Vilho
From: Rupert Swarbrick
vilho <·····@iki.fi> writes:

> Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:
>
>> Given the favorable exchange rates, I'm considering to buy a Nokia
>> N810 the next time I'm in the US.  Does anyone know of a Common Lisp
>> that has been ported to this device?  CLISP, ECL, maybe?  I've tried
>> Google, but couldn't find anything.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Edi.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.
>>
>> Real email: (replace (subseq ·········@agharta.de" 5) "edi")
>
> Greetings,
>
> open source Nokia tablet software can be found at http://www.maemo.org.
> Search for lisp only yields SBCL on wish list at the time...
>
>   BR,
>    Vilho

Well, I know absolutely nothing about this... but on the maxima list,
someone just claimed to have clisp working at least. Archived here:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mathematics.maxima.general/21242

Rupert
From: Vilho =?utf-8?B?UsOkaXPDpG5lbg==?=
Rupert Swarbrick <··········@gmail.com> writes:

(clip)

> Well, I know absolutely nothing about this... but on the maxima list,
> someone just claimed to have clisp working at least. Archived here:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mathematics.maxima.general/21242
>
> Rupert

It may be the case that not all OS Maemo (770 / 810 / ...) software is
listed on the site. Thanks for the info. I'd very much like to see Lisp
on my 770.

  BR,
   Vilho