From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: Errors when using Maxima code
Francogrex <······@grex.org> writes:

> Hi, all. I'm trying to use a code in lisp for symbolic integration
> called "Sin" (it was published by Moses in 1967). This is now part of
> Maxima at this address:
> http://www.koders.com/lisp/kv.aspx?fid=492FDDF65B55D47181346B598717F16FF43FC135&s=Risch
> But when I try to load and use this package in my Clisp implementation
> it doesn't work, telling me that some functions are not defined and
> other various errors messages... Normally the "Sin" program should not
> have any other dependencies and is supposed to be self sufficient, why
> is it not working? Is the Lisp of Maxima different from the ANSI
> Common Lisp I use and how can I reconcile the differences? I would
> really like to use that program. Thanks.

Why do you think the "Sin" program is self-sufficient?

A quick look at the code at the link you indicated shows that the file
needs to be loaded into the MAXIMA package.  So there would have to be
such a package already defined.  Furthermore, there are a number of
additional non-Common-Lisp functions at the top of the file that
indicate that there are additional dependencies.

At a minimum, I would think you would need to have the Maxima system
loaded before you could use this file.

From: Francogrex
On May 27, 9:37 am, ····@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) wrote:
> Francogrex <······@grex.org> writes:
> > Hi, all. I'm trying to use a code in lisp for symbolic integration
> > called "Sin" (it was published by Moses in 1967). This is now part of
> > Maxima at this address:
> >http://www.koders.com/lisp/kv.aspx?fid=492FDDF65B55D47181346B598717F1...
> > But when I try to load and use this package in my Clisp implementation
> > it doesn't work, telling me that some functions are not defined and
> > other various errors messages... Normally the "Sin" program should not
> > have any other dependencies and is supposed to be self sufficient, why
> > is it not working? Is the Lisp of Maxima different from the ANSI
> > Common Lisp I use and how can I reconcile the differences? I would
> > really like to use that program. Thanks.
>
> Why do you think the "Sin" program is self-sufficient?

Well, maybe then it's not self sufficient as it is when imported into
maxima (the code I've given above). But the original publication of
Mose  which can be found here (in pdf format):
http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/
(look for Joel Moses. Symbolic Integration. Ph.D. Thesis, MIT-LCS-
TR-047, Project MAC, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, December
1967, 268 pages.)  gives the complete code, and there it is self-
sufficient I think. But it's in old style Lisp and not in Common Lisp.
From: Thomas A. Russ
Francogrex <······@grex.org> writes:

> On May 27, 9:37��am, ····@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) wrote:
> > Francogrex <······@grex.org> writes:
> > > Hi, all. I'm trying to use a code in lisp for symbolic integration
> > > called "Sin" (it was published by Moses in 1967). This is now part of
> > > Maxima at this address:
> > >http://www.koders.com/lisp/kv.aspx?fid=492FDDF65B55D47181346B598717F1...
> > > But when I try to load and use this package in my Clisp implementation
> > > it doesn't work, telling me that some functions are not defined and
> > > other various errors messages... Normally the "Sin" program should not
> > > have any other dependencies and is supposed to be self sufficient, why
> > > is it not working? Is the Lisp of Maxima different from the ANSI
> > > Common Lisp I use and how can I reconcile the differences? I would
> > > really like to use that program. Thanks.
> >
> > Why do you think the "Sin" program is self-sufficient?
>
> Well, maybe then it's not self sufficient as it is when imported into
> maxima (the code I've given above). But the original publication of
> Mose  which can be found here (in pdf format):
> http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/
> (look for Joel Moses. Symbolic Integration. Ph.D. Thesis, MIT-LCS-
> TR-047, Project MAC, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, December
> 1967, 268 pages.)  gives the complete code, and there it is self-
> sufficient I think. But it's in old style Lisp and not in Common Lisp.

Quite true.

So it seems that your choices are:
 1) Translate the original Sin lisp code into Common Lisp.
 2) Write an intepreter for the original lisp code.  It may be MacLisp,
    but I'm not sure if that was available in 1967 or not.
 3) Use the Sin version that comes with Maxima, and load Maxima first
 4) Look for some other symbolic algerbraic application language.

What do you want to use Sin for?

From: Barry Margolin
In article <···············@blackcat.isi.edu>,
 ···@sevak.isi.edu (Thomas A. Russ) wrote:

> Francogrex <······@grex.org> writes:

> > > Why do you think the "Sin" program is self-sufficient?
> >
> > Well, maybe then it's not self sufficient as it is when imported into
> > maxima (the code I've given above). But the original publication of
> > Mose  which can be found here (in pdf format):
> > http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/LISP/
> > (look for Joel Moses. Symbolic Integration. Ph.D. Thesis, MIT-LCS-
> > TR-047, Project MAC, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, December
> > 1967, 268 pages.)  gives the complete code, and there it is self-
> > sufficient I think. But it's in old style Lisp and not in Common Lisp.
>
> Quite true.
>
> So it seems that your choices are:
>  1) Translate the original Sin lisp code into Common Lisp.
>  2) Write an intepreter for the original lisp code.  It may be MacLisp,
>     but I'm not sure if that was available in 1967 or not.
>  3) Use the Sin version that comes with Maxima, and load Maxima first
>  4) Look for some other symbolic algerbraic application language.
>
> What do you want to use Sin for?

It looks like the code in TR-047 was written in LISP 1.5.  The first
mention of LISP in the paper contains a bibliography reference to the
LISP 1.5 manual.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: rjf
On May 29, 11:42 am, Francogrex <······@grex.org> wrote:
> But my intention of using Sin, since it is a self-
> sufficient code is to learn how I could write myself a simple code to
> do simple integration .

Read Peter Norvig's Paradigms of AI Programming, I think chapter 6.
The code for the book gives you a self-contained symbolic integration
program
in Common Lisp.  Not everything in Maxima or Sin, but a surprising
amount.
From: Thomas A. Russ
rjf <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 29, 11:42 am, Francogrex <······@grex.org> wrote:
> > But my intention of using Sin, since it is a self-
> > sufficient code is to learn how I could write myself a simple code to
> > do simple integration .
>
> Read Peter Norvig's Paradigms of AI Programming, I think chapter 6.
> The code for the book gives you a self-contained symbolic integration
> program
> in Common Lisp.  Not everything in Maxima or Sin, but a surprising
> amount.

An excellent suggestion.

Another source would be to look at the following, which is is Scheme,
not Common Lisp.

  http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/sicp/book/node39.html

I had some other links to Lisp-based symbolic math, but they are
(unfortunately) all dead now.

Marek Rychlik in the University of Arizona Math department had something
useful, but I can't seem to get at the professor's home page.
   http://math.arizona.edu/~rychlik/