From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [ANN] Aldor & Axiom / OpenAxiom / FriCAS Workshop 2008
(since the compilers of Aldor, Axiom, OpenAxiom and FriCAS currently all
compile to lisp, this might be interesting for some folks here, too...)

                          Aldor & Axiom Workshop 2008

                                    part of

                               RISC Summer 2008

                              Hagenberg, Austria
                                24-26 July 2008

The workshop aims at a cooperation of Aldor, Axiom, OpenAxiom, and FriCAS
developers with developers of packages written for other Computer Algebra
Systems, and mathematicians that would like to use a computer algebra system to
perform experiments.

Conference Website
------------------
  http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/WorkShopRISC2008

Topics
------
  Similar to 2006 and 2007, the workshop will be organized as a mixture of
  talks and discussions. We will begin with an introduction to Axiom /
  OpenAxiom / FriCAS and the Aldor language, including a comparison with the
  approach employed by Sage and Python.

  We then plan to cover the following topics:

  Aldor, SPAD, and the interpreter

      - work on SPAD (eg., allow arbitrary conditional exports),

      - work on the interpreter (eg., it's signature selection algorithm), and

      - improve the Axiom / OpenAxiom / FriCAS - Aldor interaction (eg., make
        Axiom / OpenAxiom / FriCAS understand Aldor's extend or dependent
        signatures generated in Aldor code).

  interaction of Axiom / OpenAxiom / FriCAS with other systems

     We would like to explore the possibility and the usefulness of reusing
     third party code like PARI, GAP, Polymake, etc., but also interfacing with
     Sage.

  problems implementing mathematics in Aldor and SPAD

     We would like to tackle some particularly challenging implementation
     problems, including

       - combinatorial species - the multisort case,

       - how to organize domains and categories for recurrences and functions,

       - how to organize aggregates and matrices, in particular how to ensure
         efficient looping over aggregate elements, etc.

Contributions
-------------
  If you would like to contribute a presentation to one of these topics or a
  related one, please send a message to the organisers.

Suggested reading
-----------------
  Aldor User Guide (http://www.aldor.org/docs/aldorug.pdf)

  Axiom Book (http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/book.pdf)

  Multisort species (svn cat svn://svn.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/hemmecke/combinat/branches/multisort-experiment/combinat/src/mspecies.as.nw)

Registration
  Registration is handled via the general RISC Summer 2008 Registration at

  http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/about/conferences/summer2008/registration/

  Please note that the fee (30 EUR) does not cover hotel, lunch, dinner, and
  transportation to Hagenberg.  You may reserve a hotel room in Hagenberg
  through the registration page.

Organisers
  Ralf Hemmecke and Martin Rubey