From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: Slime newbie
I've just downloaded Lisp in a box, and I'm trying out it with Slime.
But unfortunately I'm unable to do such basic things as navigating
back and forth in the command history. (I haven't found much help in
the Slime manual).

From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Slime newbie
On May 9, 3:29 pm, ·······@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just downloaded Lisp in a box, and I'm trying out it with Slime.
> But unfortunately I'm unable to do such basic things as navigating
> back and forth in the command history. (I haven't found much help in
> the Slime manual).

I've found. (M-n and M-p) Though, the manual could be a bit more
verbose (because not everubody is an Emacs expert):

4.2 Input navigation

C-a slime-repl-bol
  Go to the beginning of the line, but stop at the repl prompt.
M-n
M-p
M-s
M-r slime-repl-{next,previous}-input
  slime-repl-{next,previous}-matching-input
  comint-style input history commands.
C-c C-n
C-c C-p slime-repl-next-prompt, slime-repl-previous-prompt
  Move between the current and previous prompts in the repl buffer.
From: elzacho
On May 9, 7:34 am, ·······@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 9, 3:29 pm, ·······@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just downloaded Lisp in a box, and I'm trying out it with Slime.
> > But unfortunately I'm unable to do such basic things as navigating
> > back and forth in the command history. (I haven't found much help in
> > the Slime manual).
>
> I've found. (M-n and M-p) Though, the manual could be a bit more
> verbose (because not everubody is an Emacs expert):
>
> 4.2 Input navigation
>
> C-a slime-repl-bol
>   Go to the beginning of the line, but stop at the repl prompt.
> M-n
> M-p
> M-s
> M-r slime-repl-{next,previous}-input
>   slime-repl-{next,previous}-matching-input
>   comint-style input history commands.
> C-c C-n
> C-c C-p slime-repl-next-prompt, slime-repl-previous-prompt
>   Move between the current and previous prompts in the repl buffer.

I assume you found C-h m for help on the current mode.

If you move your cursor up to previous input and hit enter on it, it
will copy the form down to your line.  I find that C-UpArrow and C-
DownArrow move through the command history.  Also, see the Slime movie
about 3 times in a row to catch it all:

http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/  (look under screencasts)

and maybe look at http://www.cliki.net/SLIME%20Features for a few more
tips.

Zach
From: Peter Christensen
On May 9, 8:29 am, ·······@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just downloaded Lisp in a box, and I'm trying out it with Slime.
> But unfortunately I'm unable to do such basic things as navigating
> back and forth in the command history. (I haven't found much help in
> the Slime manual).

I wrote an emacs/slime cheat sheet[1] and a reference for the great
SLIME movie by Marco Barringer[2].  They helped me out a lot.

-Peter

[1] http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/public-beta-open-for-ultimate-n00b-slimeemacs-cheat-sheet/
[2] http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/reference-for-the-slimelispemacs-screencast/
From: ······@gmail.com
On May 9, 11:50 pm, Peter Christensen <···················@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On May 9, 8:29 am, ·······@gmail.com" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just downloaded Lisp in a box, and I'm trying out it with Slime.
> > But unfortunately I'm unable to do such basic things as navigating
> > back and forth in the command history. (I haven't found much help in
> > the Slime manual).
>
> I wrote an emacs/slime cheat sheet[1] and a reference for the great
> SLIME movie by Marco Barringer[2].  They helped me out a lot.
>
> -Peter
>
> [1]http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/public-beta-open-for-ultima...
> [2]http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/reference-for-the-slimelisp...

Thanks, your links are very useful.