From: globalrev
Subject: load .emacs error
http://robert.zubek.net/blog/2008/04/09/sbcl-emacs-windows-vista/

in .emacs i have put:
(setq inferior-lisp-program "c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe -
core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

i get error when starting emacs:

("C:\\Emacs\\emacs-22.2\\bin\\emacs.exe")

An error has occurred while loading `c:/Users/saftarn/AppData/
Roaming/.emacs':

Symbol's value as variable is void: “c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/
sbcl.exe

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

 “ “\223 is in red, why is it even there?

From: Nathaniel Calloway
Subject: Re: load .emacs error
globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:

> (setq inferior-lisp-program "c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe -
> core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core")
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)

> Symbol's value as variable is void: “c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/
> sbcl.exe

You probably have some unbalanced quote " upstream in the file. That
makes it think that the (setq infe....... " is all a string and the
c:/users/.... is some sexp.

-Nat
From: John Paul Wallington
globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:

> http://robert.zubek.net/blog/2008/04/09/sbcl-emacs-windows-vista/

I don't think copying and pasting code from that page to your .emacs
file verbatim will work because the string delimiters aren't normal
ASCII ones; instead they are character LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and
RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK respectively.
From: globalrev
On 2 Maj, 02:38, ····@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington) wrote:
> globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:
> >http://robert.zubek.net/blog/2008/04/09/sbcl-emacs-windows-vista/
>
> I don't think copying and pasting code from that page to your .emacs
> file verbatim will work because the string delimiters aren't normal
> ASCII ones; instead they are character LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and
> RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK respectively.

i tried with "..." instead but it still doesnt work.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
···@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington) writes:

> globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:
>
>> http://robert.zubek.net/blog/2008/04/09/sbcl-emacs-windows-vista/
>
> I don't think copying and pasting code from that page to your .emacs
> file verbatim will work because the string delimiters aren't normal
> ASCII ones; instead they are character LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and
> RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK respectively.

Which is why emacs sees a symbol here:

>> Symbol's value as variable is void: .c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/
>> sbcl.exe

and of course it can't find any value for that symbol.

Random character that can be a symbol constituent: .
Double quote used to read strings:                 "

Notice the difference, copy and paste the form in *scratch*:
'(?\. ?\")
and with the point after it, type C-u C-x C-e
--> (147 34)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: globalrev
On 2 Maj, 16:46, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
> ····@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington) writes:
>
> > globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:
>
> >>http://robert.zubek.net/blog/2008/04/09/sbcl-emacs-windows-vista/
>
> > I don't think copying and pasting code from that page to your .emacs
> > file verbatim will work because the string delimiters aren't normal
> > ASCII ones; instead they are character LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and
> > RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK respectively.
>
> Which is why emacs sees a symbol here:
>
> >> Symbol's value as variable is void: .c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/
> >> sbcl.exe
>
> and of course it can't find any value for that symbol.
>
> Random character that can be a symbol constituent: .
> Double quote used to read strings:                 "
>
> Notice the difference, copy and paste the form in *scratch*:
> '(?\. ?\")
> and with the point after it, type C-u C-x C-e
> --> (147 34)
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

Cuxe invokes the debugger yes but:

(setq inferior-lisp-program 'c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe –
>core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core")
(require ’slime)
(slime-setup)

still gave the same error when starting. what do you mean by "the
point after it"?
From: Christopher Koppler
On May 2, 7:23 pm, globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> wrote:

> what do you mean by "the point after it"?

Please familiarize yourself with basic Emacs terminology:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryGlossary
From: Christopher Koppler

From: globalrev
i dont get it. cant you just alter the text instead just much easier
than tryong to explain with weird quotes.

(setq inferior-lisp-program 'c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe
œôòó>core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

i pase that then Cuxe?
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:

> i dont get it. cant you just alter the text instead just much easier
> than tryong to explain with weird quotes.
>

> (setq inferior-lisp-program 'c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe
> ����>core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core")
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> i pase that then Cuxe?

C-u C-x C-e will only evaluate one form.

'x is equivalent to (quote x) and does not read a string.
Try to use double-quotes for strings.

(setq inferior-lisp-program "c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe --core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

Either you evaluate each for one by one, moving in turn the cursor on
the end of each line and typing C-x C-e, (or C-u C-x C-e if you want
the result be inserted in the current buffer), or select all these
forms, and type M-x eval-region RET.

But note that require won't load twice the same library, so it's
useless to evaluate it more than once, and I guess it's the same with
slime-setup. At least, you can change the value of
inferior-lisp-program without having to re-run slime-setup.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: globalrev
On 5 Maj, 09:07, ····@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
> globalrev <·········@yahoo.se> writes:
> > i dont get it. cant you just alter the text instead just much easier
> > than tryong to explain with weird quotes.
>
> > (setq inferior-lisp-program 'c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe
> > ½ôòó>core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core")
> > (require 'slime)
> > (slime-setup)
>
> > i pase that then Cuxe?
>
> C-u C-x C-e will only evaluate one form.
>
> 'x is equivalent to (quote x) and does not read a string.
> Try to use double-quotes for strings.
>
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe --core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core")
> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> Either you evaluate each for one by one, moving in turn the cursor on
> the end of each line and typing C-x C-e, (or C-u C-x C-e if you want
> the result be inserted in the current buffer), or select all these
> forms, and type M-x eval-region RET.
>
> But note that require won't load twice the same library, so it's
> useless to evaluate it more than once, and I guess it's the same with
> slime-setup. At least, you can change the value of
> inferior-lisp-program without having to re-run slime-setup.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

("C:\\Emacs\\emacs-22.2\\bin\\emacs.exe")

An error has occurred while loading `c:/Users/saftarn/AppData/
Roaming/.emacs':

Symbol's value as variable is void: “c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/
sbcl.exe

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

i give up. why is it changing to backquote int he errorreport? it is
with "" now...
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon

> An error has occurred while loading `c:/Users/saftarn/AppData/
> Roaming/.emacs':
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: .c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/
> sbcl.exe
>
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.
>
> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
>

> i give up. why is it changing to backquote int he errorreport? it is
> with "" now...

Because the author of emacs has some typography envy complex and wants
to try to render nice typographic quotes on an ASCII terminal.  But it
shouldn't bother you, only to be careful not to copy random characters
from random sources, but of course to always use ASCII double-quote,
code 34, for strings.

You still have one of these random characters in your .emacs, just
before c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe  This is what this message
says to you:

> Symbol's value as variable is void: .c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe

Delete this random character, and replace it with a normal ASCII
double-quote.  Check that the closing quote is also a normal ASCII
double-quote, and try again.

It's easy to see the difference:

(format "%d" ?\.) --> "147"
(format "%d" ?\") --> "34"

Another way, is to position the cursor over the character, and to type
C-x = This will display in the minibuffer the ASCII code of that
character. If it's not 34, then delete it and type in an ASCII
double-quote, code 34.

You just cannot hope to be able to program in most programming
languages if you are not able to enter a double-quote, this ASCII
character is used in almost all of them.

Also,  you would be well advised to choose a font where these small
glyphs are very distinct, as well as some other like 1l| or O0, etc.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__