From: gavino
Subject: what is up with the spam?
lately?

From: daBittweiler
Subject: Re: what is up with the spam?
On Mar 29, 8:55 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> lately?

Looks like this spammer is using Google groups to post spam to every
news group and google group he could.
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:46:28 -0700 (PDT), daBittweiler <············@gmail.com>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>On Mar 29, 8:55 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>> lately?
>
>Looks like this spammer is using Google groups to post spam to every
>news group and google group he could.

By "this spammer" you mean gavino, I hope? Because I don't see any other
spam on my newsserver.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|
From: D Herring
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:46:28 -0700 (PDT), daBittweiler <············@gmail.com>
> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
>> On Mar 29, 8:55 pm, gavino <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> lately?
>> Looks like this spammer is using Google groups to post spam to every
>> news group and google group he could.
>
> By "this spammer" you mean gavino, I hope? Because I don't see any other
> spam on my newsserver.

No.  Your server must be doing a good job of filtering it, but there's
been a major attack lately.  Check out
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/
to see what it looks like.

- Daniel
From: Ken Tilton
D Herring wrote:
> Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:46:28 -0700 (PDT), daBittweiler
>> <············@gmail.com>
>> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>>> Looks like this spammer is using Google groups to post spam to every
>>> news group and google group he could.
>>

>> By "this spammer" you mean gavino, I hope? Because I don't see any
>> other spam on my newsserver.
>

> No.  Your server must be doing a good job of filtering it, but there's
> been a major attack lately.  Check out
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/
> to see what it looks like.

Or use Mozilla Thunderbird on win32. But I found some great bargains!!!!
so I am OK.

kenny

--
http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"In the morning, hear the Way;
  in the evening, die content!"
                     -- Confucius
From: Espen Vestre
Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> writes:

> Or use Mozilla Thunderbird on win32. But I found some great
> bargains!!!! so I am OK.

Wow, you're now the owner of a genuine italian Rolex and 5 inches of
extra manhood ;-)?

I haven't seen much spam lately, except from the OP. Maybe just lucky
with my newsfeed.
--
  (espen)
From: Tim Bradshaw
On Mar 30, 9:29 pm, Espen Vestre <·····@vestre.net> wrote:

> I haven't seen much spam lately, except from the OP. Maybe just lucky
> with my newsfeed.

You are.  Google groups (for my sins I no longer am allowed to use a
proper newsreader) has been nearly unusable for a few months now.
From: Espen Vestre
Tim Bradshaw <··········@tfeb.org> writes:

> You are.  Google groups (for my sins I no longer am allowed to use a
> proper newsreader) has been nearly unusable for a few months now.

Oh. I had a look at Google groups, I see what you mean.
--
  (espen)
From: Peder O. Klingenberg
Espen Vestre <·····@vestre.net> writes:

> I haven't seen much spam lately, except from the OP. Maybe just lucky
> with my newsfeed.

It's not luck.  You have an extremely competent newsadmin ;-)

...Peder...
--
Sl�v uten dop.
From: Espen Vestre
·····@news.klingenberg.no (Peder O. Klingenberg) writes:

> It's not luck.  You have an extremely competent newsadmin ;-)

*Shhh*, I don't want Google to head hunt you ;-)
--
  (espen)
From: Mark Wooding
Peder O. Klingenberg <·····@news.klingenberg.no> wrote:

> It's not luck.  You have an extremely competent newsadmin ;-)

I don't see the spam either.  I just kill articles with message-ids
matching `googlegroups.com'.

Maybe Google should do the same.

-- [mdw]
From: Andy Chambers
On Mar 30, 8:30 pm, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
> D Herring wrote:
> > Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>
> >> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:46:28 -0700 (PDT), daBittweiler
> >> <············@gmail.com>
> >> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

> >> By "this spammer" you mean gavino, I hope? Because I don't see any
> >> other spam on my newsserver.
>
> > No.  Your server must be doing a good job of filtering it, but there's
> > been a major attack lately.  Check out
> >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/
> > to see what it looks like.
>
> Or use Mozilla Thunderbird on win32. But I found some great bargains!!!!
> so I am OK.

Do you pay for a news server or does your ISP provide that service?  I
think
most in the UK don't.

andy
From: Ken Tilton
Andy Chambers wrote:
> On Mar 30, 8:30 pm, Ken Tilton <···········@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>D Herring wrote:

>>>No.  Your server must be doing a good job of filtering it, but there's
>>>been a major attack lately.  Check out
>>>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/
>>>to see what it looks like.
>>
>>Or use Mozilla Thunderbird on win32. But I found some great bargains!!!!
>>so I am OK.
>

> Do you pay for a news server or does your ISP provide that service?  I
> think
> most in the UK don't.

Yes, my ISP includes a news server.

kt

From: Rupert Swarbrick
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:52:40 -0400, Ken Tilton wrote:

>> Do you pay for a news server or does your ISP provide that service?  I
>> think
>> most in the UK don't.
>
> Yes, my ISP includes a news server.
>
> kt

Fwiw, Virgin definitely has one. However, since I move around a lot with
a laptop, I use giganews and can testify I haven't had the spam problem
to anywhere near the extent that people are mentioning - I kind of didn't
notice it.

Rupert
From: George Neuner
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:56:12 -0500, Rupert Swarbrick
<··········@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:52:40 -0400, Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>>> Do you pay for a news server or does your ISP provide that service?  I
>>> think
>>> most in the UK don't.
>>
>> Yes, my ISP includes a news server.
>>
>> kt
>
>Fwiw, Virgin definitely has one. However, since I move around a lot with
>a laptop, I use giganews and can testify I haven't had the spam problem
>to anywhere near the extent that people are mentioning - I kind of didn't
>notice it.
>
>Rupert

same here.  I'm on Comcast which uses Giganews behind the scenes.
There's been a recent spate of spam, but not bad so far.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: Rob Warnock
Ken Tilton  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Andy Chambers wrote:
| > Do you pay for a news server or does your ISP provide that service?
| > I think most in the UK don't.
|
| Yes, my ISP includes a news server.

Ditto. Or rather, they include access to GigaNews
[who *aren't* filtering the spam!].

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>